• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help!!

Race12

I have an old Galion Motor Grader that I am needing engine parts for. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out what engine I have. I found a plate on the side of the engine that has Cummins on it and a 6 digit engine number but Cummins. The 6 digit number is 193747. When I contacted Cummins, they don't have anything with that number. I also found a plate inside the cab that had a serial number. The plate said Galion serial number 118-C-6-01299.

Can anyone help me with what Cummins engine and about what year I have?

mitch504

A 118C is late '60s-early '70s. A 118B uses the 743 cubic inch H model Cummins, that's probably what you have.

I'll think and look in some books and see what other guesses I can make.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any chance you could post a couple pictures of the engine?

Does it have three separate cylinder heads, or two heads or just one? Does it have a turbo or maybe a blower?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
IF its "kinda" hard to read.. how the heck am I supposed to figure it out.. Snap a pic of the engine AND the fuel system.. we'll be all over it like white on rice..

RMXR

AS the Galion data plate indicates that your machine is most likely a 118C, and that the engine is a Cummins, you probably have a H743C-135 engine.

743 cubic inch, construction equipment configuration, 2 valves per cylinder, 135hp.

Does your engine have 2 fuel lines going to the right hand side of the cylinder heads for each cylinder? Does it have 3 separate cylinder heads? Are the exhaust and inlet manifolds both on the left hand side of the engine?

Parts are available, mostly aftermarket, as Cummins (in Australia at least) does not support this engine any more because it is old. The H743 engine, below the heads, shares many, but not all, parts with the NH220 engine. The NH series have 4 valves per cylinder instead of the H's 2 valves. You can use NH220 piston and liner kits BUT, the top of the liner has to have reliefs machined to allow clearance for the valves to open. The heads of the valves on the 2-valve H series engines overlap the top of the liner, whereas the NH 4-valve arrangement all fits within the bore. The machining is relatively simple and allows use of easily modified NH liners if H series liners are not available.

Please note: I am not an expert on this topic. I am just a guy with an interest, and a small amount of experience, in heavy equipment. Please check the facts before you act on any of my advice. I was involved in the rebuild of a H743C in a 118C recently.

Just trying to help.

Last edited:

Race12

Thank you so much for the info. That is the most information I have gotten since I started trying to figure out what engine I have. Cummins was no help because they did not have the engine number in the system. I will take a few photos of the engine in the next couple of days and post so maybe it will help to determine for sure what I have. Again, thank you.