• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help with transmission output shaft seal part number???

Johndeere120

I have a ford l9000 1979 finally got around to fixing the ujoints and other repairs from last year havnt used it much since. Long story short I want to replace my trans output shaft seal while I got the yoke off but the tag on the trans is gone so I have no idea what the model number is... I know it's a 9 speed and I took off the bearing housing on the yoke and the part number reads "14961". Does anyone have any idea what seal I need? I just took it out so if pictures help I can upload them. Any help is appreciated! Also on the bottom back of the trans its stamped "18700".

Truck Shop

1979-should have a RT12509 transmission which in any case the seal will be the same for several transmission models from that era using
the ten spline output shaft.

Johndeere120

Yes I believe it is a course 10 spline I forgot to count but pretty sure I took some photos. Would you happen to know a part number or website I can track down a part number? I cant seem to one not sure why

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Don't bearing supply shops in your area sell seals as well? Usually seals have a part number on them or remove the seal then measure the width, inside and outside diameters, check if it's single or double lipped. It'll probably be made of viton. I can't remember ever buying seals from a component manufacturers even for hydraulics.

Johndeere120

Don't bearing supply shops in your area sell seals as well? Usually seals have a part number on them or remove the seal then measure the width, inside and outside diameters, check if it's single or double lipped. It'll probably be made of viton. I can't remember ever buying seals from a component manufacturers even for hydraulics.
Good point I'm not sure actually. I looked for a part number but didn't see one on the original.