• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help with Manitex outrigger cylinder seals.

ferrret3238

I'm working on a Manitex 124SX. The nameplate is a SX 28124 SN#146260. Mounted on a Sterling truck. The machine is settling a bit while running it for a few hours as in the outriggers are creeping a bit. It has a 4 valve manifold that goes out to each outrigger cylinder and a block on the cylinder which looks like a crossover relief valve to me but not quite sure about that. I have swapped manifold valves around and the creep stays with the drivers side front cylinder so I think its worn out seals in the cylinder. Does anybody have a seal kit or a number for a seal kit? I've tried a few places and have been getting no help or no response about the outrigger cylinder seal kits. The boom truck is about 20 years old I think so the seals are probably at their end of life. Thank you.

crane operator

Could be holding valve, or the seals. I would replace the holding valve when you reseal the cylinder. The manifold valves will not allow a outrigger to retract, it has to activate the holding valve to release/allow the cylinder to retract.

crane operator

manitex should be able to get your seals, otherwise any competent hydraulic shop should be able to source seals by measuring your old seals and cylinders. I doubt they are anything exotic. Should just be orings and ucup seals.

ferrret3238

Been on the phone with both and haven't had much help with either manitex or the service company. I took the cylinder out of the outrigger and found the numbers on the barrel end.
822200-2
40-20018
The service company said that there is 2 possible kits for this type of boom truck.
If anybody can look up a kit and let me know I would greatly appreciate it. I don't have the time to tear it apart and leave it sit for 2 to 3 weeks while i wait for seals to show up. Would be nice to have a kit in hand before breaking the cylinder apart.

crane operator

I don't have the time to tear it apart and leave it sit for 2 to 3 weeks while i wait for seals to show up

My cylinder shop is only 2-3 days for anything in stock anywhere in the country. Why would you have to wait for 2-3 weeks for seals to show up?

You have the cylinder out of the crane, the crane is down, tear the cylinder apart and find out what the seals are.

If you would have done that back on October 6 you would have been running a month ago.

I understand a kit would be nicer, but it doesn't seem like the manuf. wants to give you that. If the "service company" is offering 2 kits, and you really can't be down the 3 days to get seals shipped, then buy both kits and throw the other one in the trash.

Either you need it or you don't.

ferrret3238

I do not have the cylinder out of the crane. It took about 4 hours to get it out and back in to get the numbers off of it that the service company wanted to look up the seal kit. The service company needs the numbers to get either kit that it takes for this type of cylinder. The crane is up and running and he only has been mostly doing jobs that take a few hours as it settles a lot after 8 hour jobs. There are a few shops in Dubuque yes but I can tear it apart as I am a service shop. I don't really want the liability of just measuring the seals and having a failure cause they were the wrong durometer. I usually get my seals from Hercules or Allegehny York but there's a lot of choices from them. It's usually only a week for them to get here but sometimes they don't tell you they're back ordered until ordered and then I don't get them for a few weeks. At $800 a kit I won't be ordering 2 and throwing one away. I'm gonna try Manitex again and see if I can get a different service person and maybe some numbers.

crane operator

You're willing to take the liability of sending out a crane with a bad outrigger cylinder jack, but not the liability of rebuilding the cylinder?

Are you then just the shop doing the work for someone else's crane?

Either way, you were only a extra hour away from having it all apart once you had it out of the crane.

$800 of throw away would be cheap, compared to a lot of other outcomes with a bad outrigger jack. A 124sx is still a $100,000-$150,000 machine. $800 is a operating expense.

And I guess if you wasted 4 hours of shop time just to look at the numbers, (that you will have to do again whenever or if you get a seal kit to get the cylinder back out) That about washes out the cost of the extra seal kit.

If you would have had both seal kits in your hand, then the cylinder would now be fixed.

63 caveman

FYI some of the older outrigger seals are no longer available. I ended up making (machining) new pistons for a few. $800 for a seal kit sounds very high can make a piston in an hour or so.

Tip..... If the cylinder is not bench tested, hook it up out side the outrigger and run it full stroke (dead head both ends) before fishing it into the out rigger. I know they can be a bit of a pain in the a$$ to put in.

Also you should be able to swap ballance/hold valves from side to side to make sure that is not the problem (not very likely).

CraneMechanic73

A 20 year old boom truck repair on a budget and no downtime. Really should verify you’re holding valves first, before hunting down packing. Otherwise you’re guessing. That always ends up biting me.

Liebherr supports their product the way a manufacturer should. I believe that’s why parts are so expensive at times.

crane operator

Liebherr supports their product the way a manufacturer should. I believe that’s why parts are so expensive at times.
I'll never own a AT that isn't a liebherr, they are a great company, who really stands behind their products.

Its just that I enjoy a little griping about their pricing. But its far different than other manufacturer's who just NLA everything.

Welder Dave

$800 for a seal kit does seem ridiculous and $1500 for an alternator is crazy. It's up there with $1200 for a basic Cat water pump for a 3204. I would think there would be serious consequences if a stabilizer isn't holding. That's why cranes require inspections. It's a little different if a backhoe stabilizer creeps a little.