• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help with front spool valves removal

Arras Garage

Hello, and thank you for accepting me! I have a 1969 Ford 4500 TLB that I need to take the front spool valves off to get rebuilt, but the flare nuts are frozen tight-probably never been off. Can I use heat to help free them? The valve I need rebuilt is the bucket valve. Any ideas on how I can get the lines free to remove the valve assembly? Thanks so much!

berky

I would not use heat, only as a last alternative. If you haven’t already spray the fittings and let them soak. Use a proper wrench which may include an additional longer breaker. The large inlet and outlet fittings on the bottom can be space limiting but not impossible. Good luck

berky

On other thing. The spools are a complete metal on metal fit, so if it is leaking out of the lever side there won’t be much you can do. If it is leaking out the back side of the spool where the springs and covers are you can replace a few orings in there.