• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help With Broken Rod

mitch504

Tinkerer, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand why that would shorten the rod. Chuck it in the lathe, cut the broken nub off, bore a hole , thread it, put piston back against same shoulder, put bolt in.

Tinkerer

Yeah, but failure doesn't look torqued. There's no swirling. I think he just stumbled on an ongoing failure.
I agree.
That rod was stressed and he averted a disaster. It could have sheared on it's own and destroyed the barrel.
I wonder if the piston was loose on the rod seeing that the nut is bottomed out on the rod.
Mitch; In the photo it appears that close to an inch is already broken off. I would guess another 1/4 inch of more would need to be cut off to get into undamaged material.
I firmly believe a new rod is needed.
If I am wrong it won't be the first time.

nub.png

Delmer

Any damage would be in the necked down part that goes through the piston, it's not going to pull steel out of the thick section of the rod by breaking off. I don't see how a bolt would change the dimensions? All this is a good argument for checking the other side. Hammering the boom side to side could be a cause of the stretch. The lack of threads behind the nut is strange also.

Welder Dave

Wonder if maybe there is/was something wrong with the end of stroke cushioning? Most backhoes have something to cushion or slow down the end of swing.

mitch504

Any damage would be in the necked down part that goes through the piston, it's not going to pull steel out of the thick section of the rod by breaking off. I don't see how a bolt would change the dimensions? All this is a good argument for checking the other side. Hammering the boom side to side could be a cause of the stretch. The lack of threads behind the nut is strange also.

This is what I was about to say, thanks for saving me the typing, Delmer.