• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help!! JD 160C LC won’t start

Aarons81

Did you have the motor at tdc when you installed the pump? I belive the motor and pump both need to be set at tdc timing with the compression stroke of the motor.

Aarons81

Ill take a look at my 160lc tomorrow, as i have to try and diagnose a over heat issue is just developed on thurs. Hoping for a broke belt but im leaning toward thermstats.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Hi guys, I just ran across this thread..
The 1st guy that didn’t time it didn’t do u any favors.!! BECAUSE, the dimple in the fly wheel WILL come up TWICE..(special tool)
The pump timing hole will come up ONCE.. So the smart money is to drop the timing tool in THE PUMP & CHECK the flywheel dimple..
If the second mechanic didn’t remove the valve cover to MAKE SURE the engine is definitely on #1, your just chasing your tail..
There is another way.. u can time the pump w the timing tool..
REMOVE THE PUMP and look for the dimple mark inside the gear where it sat originally.. before u let the dumb azz put his hands on it..
Or loosen the pump from the drive gear & with the pump timing tool installed, rotate the engine 360* and wait for the pin to drop in the dimple.. DEGREASE the shaft, gear and nut and TORQUE THE NUT..REMOVE all the timing pins
& try to start the machine..
Good luck..
BTW>> if u don’t degrease the shaft, gear & nut AND TORQUE THE NUT.. THE SHAFT WILL spin in the gear, throwing the timing off..

Rooster75

Ok we checked timing several times. In time & still nothing. He noticed there’s 24 volts going into ECU. What should the voltage be coming out of it?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
He noticed there’s 24 volts going into ECU. What should the voltage be coming out of it?

Look at post #10.

Get someone with a heavy duty scan tool with a 9 pin connector (J1939 protocol) to scan and check for codes.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
You can also check them manually without a scan tool, read that manual Tool_king sent you its in there how to do it. We did this on our 160 as well, the timing of injection pump was very precise. Just to run through things here. Correct if wrong, Machine dies, Mechanic guy #1 pulled off injection pump, then engine was moved from whatever this position was, New one installed, but wont fire. Will fire with starting fluid. This data points to incorrectly timed pump. But, what were the symptoms prior to the failure? Why did you start with the pump?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
saying ECU fault. Where are my options on getting one. Dealer Only?

What was the specific code?

Yes, dealer only. It will need to be programmed. You will need to take your old ECU in (there is a core) so they can plug into it to transfer information to the new ECU when they upload the newest software. Also have your machine serial number with you and the hours on your machine (in case they cannot communicate with your old ECU).

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Seen a 793 Cat Haul truck come into shop years ago with no start after wheel end repair. Did lots of testing. all kept pointing to the ECU. Bolted in new one and fired up instantly. You don't always know. Simon

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Put on new ECU & she fired right up. I really appreciate all the knowledge sharing from other members. Till the next time. Thanks again.
Glad the computer change out fixed your unit. Sometimes it is the last resort to change, if you have done all else correctly. Thanks for posting the solution.