• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help finding seal kit 2006 EC140CL

just-a-mechanic

IMG_4431.jpeg

62905827679__7C402A4A-8747-4C7B-AD0E-9B53752956ED.jpeg

86A0C67F-387E-4013-88B7-EC803634B1C9.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

I have paid twice to have these boom kits to be sealed. I need to investigate why it keeps happening but that will be done before long.

I have tried to find aftermarket seals for the boom arm in this machine. I have not been able to find an alternative.

The two times I had the seals replace the seals cost me 670$ the first time and 800$ or something the second time. (Seals only, I removed gland / & piston assembly and reinstalled)

Volvo wants like 1200$ a seal kit for each of these. Does anyone know why there isn’t a kit available for this machine? I’m tired of paying such high prices for just seals.

Thanks for any feedback or information on this machine.

( p.s. Pressure sensor shows under 3k psi when full head, so doesn’t seem to be overpressured).

crane operator

Leaking out the gland or the piston bypassing? Both cylinders bad, or only one side? Inside of barrel looks good as well as outside of the rod?

Which seal of the kit is unavailable from a competent hydraulic shop?

Do you have a part # for the seal kit?

just-a-mechanic

Leaking out the gland or the piston bypassing? Both cylinders bad, or only one side? Inside of barrel looks good as well as outside of the rod?

Which seal of the kit is unavailable from a competent hydraulic shop?

Do you have a part # for the seal kit?

the two times I’ve replaced it, was due to what I assumed to be poor operator use. I let a neighbor borrow it, and this has happened the two time the neighbor borrowed it.

The cylinders end up bypassing internally.

67944403948__9CD230BE-1B2E-4747-8DA5-CF71D57FD793.jpeg

The air hammer damage the locking nut was done at the hydraulic shop. We had a discussion on how I expect proper tools to be used on assembly/disassembly. (Another reason to not use this shop)

Hyd Barrels looked fine, no piston damage/wear band or gland bushing damage.

First time it was replaced it was both bad, now the boom is bypassing and the boom world not hold position, so I assume just one is bypassing, again.

The seal kit appears to be:

VOE14589121

I’m asking if anyone is aware of a seal kit for this machine, that can be purchased online. As stated, I am tired of being what I feel - ripped off for seals.

A simple search results in no seal kits except for in china/Australia. I’ve had this machine for 3 years, and I have never seen a kit I could use and have practically given up. Figured I’d ask here as a last ditch effort.

A search of EC-140c or d, results with nothing. (Plenty for A,B) Searching the actual part number from my recollection results in the same. IAW the parts manual it changed on the C,D models.

Attached is the digging unit parts manual. I’m doing this on my phone and updating this post with more information as I go along.

Attachments

• 32 Unit, Digging.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

crane operator

This sure looks like it’s pushing past a damaged barrel. Or there’s something big floating around in there. With how torn up the top one is, it could have been a part of it.

But something is tearing the seals up.

Also if you don’t trust the neighbor, and he’s tearing up the machine, maybe don’t loan out the machine?IMG_4967.jpeg

just-a-mechanic

This sure looks like it’s pushing past a damaged barrel. Or there’s something big floating around in there. With how torn up the top one is, it could have been a part of it.

But something is tearing the seals up.

Also if you don’t trust the neighbor, and he’s tearing up the machine, maybe don’t loan out the machine?View attachment 300505

That neighbor doesn’t use the machine any longer. Obviously, I decided on a second failure that this guy was done. Damage has already been done however.

Also, so it’s understood, this was the first seal repairs. I have not removed it to see how it failed this time.

So any Volvo guys on here know why this machine seems to have non existent seal kits for the boom cylinder?

Or am I mistaken about the seals or misunderstanding anything?

Seems odd that these seals are only available as a kit from Volvo construction.

I guess I’ll have to remove it and just measure out everything. I’m not a hydraulic guy so I rather not have to learn a new trade :) lol

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, did you bleed the air out post repair? I don't see any scratches or scoring of the piston. The deformation says either over pressure or excessive heat. As Crane Op mentioned, if the bore is oversized towards the middle of the barrel, it may be allowing bypass, generating heat. I have seen where the scraper either becomes dislodged or damaged allowing air intrusion on the rod side. Was there , maybe , a hose failure prior to cylinder failure?