• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need GPS Equipment Help!

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I'm looking at getting GPS equipment.I have been looking and calling trying to get information on what i need.It will be Topcon ,not Trimble.

After three days of searching and calling i still need help answering a few of my questions.I'm pretty sure i will be going with the Hiper Lite+.My question is do you need a base station setup+rover.That is where i'm confused.

On the website they are calling it base station,reciever in the next sentence,rover.So what do i need.we have no network here.

This is what i need to know will this setup work........1 Hiper Lite+base station? 1 handheld controller TC 120 with survey software.Will need more but need this answered first.

Or do i need Hiper Lite+ basestation..........Hiper Lite+ rover and handheld contoller?????????? Got more question ,but this would help for now Thanks:usa

t_dirt

After three days of searching and calling i still need help answering a few of my questions.I'm pretty sure i will be going with the Hiper Lite+.My question is do you need a base station setup+rover.That is where i'm confused.

On the website they are calling it base station,reciever in the next sentence,rover.So what do i need.we have no network here.

This is what i need to know will this setup work........1 Hiper Lite+base station? 1 handheld controller TC 120 with survey software.Will need more but need this answered first.

Or do i need Hiper Lite+ basestation..........Hiper Lite+ rover and handheld contoller?????????? Got more question ,but this would help for now Thanks

OK, the HiPer Lite+ can be a base, or rover. It can be setup as a base or rover, which is nice once you have a few units.. I ran them for years and loved them!!!! They do have some radio limitations (will not go as far as a UHF and some line-of-site issues), which is why they are cheaper than a similar unit with a UHF radio, such as a GR3. They are very rugged units!!! The FC120's are good the FC200' is much better, faster, more memory, better bluetooth, usb slot!!! I always used Pocket 3D.

To be overly simple: RTK GPS needs a "base station" for a correction signal, and a "rover" machine, or HiPer.
Typically you need (1) HiPer as a Base Station, (1) HiPer w/ a FC200 Data Collector as a Rover to localize the job and check grade, and a machine.

Go to:http://www.topconpositioning.com/static/dealer_pointer.php, find your local dealer. Ask to speek to the GPS Machine Control Salesperson. Ask them to explain GPS to you, get to know your salesperson!!!!

I do currently sell Topcon Equipment.

Last edited:

Construct'O

Occupation
Got about the same info from another forum also.I have dual grade laser,machine control system now.But is getting obsolete,partly why i'm thinking now might be the time for GPS.

Really need to go used for the basestation and rover.Just can't go out of the box new because of my age and investment.May have to piece it togather anyway.

With that said (GR-3 is out) newest, greatest,so how much better would Hiper Pro be over the Lite+.Also see their coming out with new one called Hiper XM(cover more sats) ??? to many searches sorry.

I'm wanting to put this on a trencher,that already has laser valve,not proportional tho.Solnoid electric over hydraulic valve that runs the grade cylinder.

Looked at the AGPS(aftermarket) setup and also AGS3 system Topcon uses for landleveling and survey you know anything about that and if you think would work????

Dirt email if you got some used equipment if you want.Thanks for the info.Anyone else using Topcon GPS equipment have any input?:usa

t_dirt

The HiPer type depends on how you are using it. It sounds like you are an Agg guy with wide open fields, flat fields, few buildings between you and the base. Then a Lite would be fine, a PRO would be a little better.

"Looked at the AGPS(aftermarket) setup and also AGS3 system Topcon uses for landleveling and survey"
I just use and sell the Construction side!!! No idea. I hmay have some used gear, i will be in touch.

Occupation
equipment inspector/ appraiser
Is there a reason you want Topcon over Trimble? I know the Trimble guy in Omaha is very good w/ GPS set ups.

OC

Construct'O

Occupation
I went to a Conexpo field day in Melborine,Iowa this summer and got hands on experience with Topcon amd Trimble equipped dozers mostly did run one excavtor with Topcon GPS system.

The Topcon was the new 3d mc2 sytem the was spot on as fast as you could run a D6R dozer.

Moved over to a D6T lgp with Trimble and it was all over the place.Did pretty good going south then turn machine around come back on same path just split blades and it was like it lost the sat no control at all.

Moved over to a Komatso PX51 with Trimble better then the T but same problem just less extreme.

In Trimble defense they had changed the cut depth ,so not sure if that was the problem or not.I asked for help to see if it was just me or something from at least two guys,they said try this and try that,neither helped.So i got off and told them something was messed up.

The Topcon was simple screen,basicly red,green,yellow.Sure there was more adjustment for me it was just flip the toggle on auto and go.

Everything around me is Trimble,but i was sure impressed with Topcon on that day.:usa

Attachments

• trencher pix 210.JPG
    trencher pix 210.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,084
  • trencher pix 213.JPG
    trencher pix 213.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,045
  • trencher pix 214.JPG
    trencher pix 214.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,065
Occupation
equipment inspector/ appraiser
Field day!!

This looks like a cool field day, How did the JD high speed dozer work? What is the machine in the last picture?
Thanks for the pictures.

OC

Construct'O

Occupation
I didn't run it because they was alway a lineup,but all they was doing with it was trying to use it like a regular dozer which didn't do to bad ,but no comparison with a dozer.

It needed to have the GPS system on it and be using it for what we were doing,but they didn't have it setup with anything.Deere brought in a 700J with Topcon on which worked well also.It had a few gliches,but they go them worked out after they got it set.

They had just gotten it setup before the show and hadn't gotten it into the dirt until the show.

It was a great event,two day event.I only got to stay the first day.Bunch more equipment.The trencher pic would be like mine that i want to put the GPS on.:usa

Construct'O

Occupation
Dirt will a external PGA-1 anntenna work with the Hiper Lite and what is the part number for the adapter that fits on the back of the rover to use an external anntenna,so i can mount he rover in my trencher cab and mount the PGA-1 out on the machine above the trenchers wheel for machine control?

Rover safe in cab just antenna out in the elements.

Would like to know the cost of the adapter and antenna?Pm me if you want?

The AGS 3D system is an ag things! Looks like something that would work for me.Can find it on Topcon Precision Ag website under landleveling and survey.Using machine control with AGS C control box,basicly like the old 9186 box i was told? Could use some more input from others .Thanks:usa

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Topcon.

Hello.

I wound up with a Topcon unit cheap from a machine that was totaled.
Since the machine was a wreck the antennas were also, but I have the display computer and control unit along with all of the cables and brackets.
Except for the antennas, everything works, so once business picks up I will be ahead of the game.
The point being, if you Know what you are doing you can pick up on a good deal here and there.
If you do not, find that electronics geek who is a PITA but knows what he/she is doing and have a tag a long at some of the sales.
I started with rebuilding EECU (Engine Computer) and went from there.
Since I love iron as well as electronics this is a natural for me.

Construct'O

Occupation
Hello.

I wound up with a Topcon unit cheap from a machine that was totaled.
Since the machine was a wreck the antennas were also, but I have the display computer and control unit along with all of the cables and brackets.
Except for the antennas, everything works, so once business picks up I will be ahead of the game.
The point being, if you Know what you are doing you can pick up on a good deal here and there.
If you do not, find that electronics geek who is a PITA but knows what he/she is doing and have a tag a long at some of the sales.
I started with rebuilding EECU (Engine Computer) and went from there.
Since I love iron as well as electronics this is a natural for me.

What was the machine that was damaged? Did you get the stuff through the insurance company? or got the complete machine and the GPS stuff came with it?

What are you going to be using for base station and ,rover or do you have network close? Not an option here.

Did pickup a control box(display) GX 60,it's a start.

Does anyone see this stuff at sales,much? Topcon?

Getting somethings sorted,but still have a problem as how the UHF radios are used as rover??? off a base station like Legacy E base station.Also how you get the info from the radio to hand controller or what ever your using for your data.

Still lots of info needed,but thanks so far.Not many here using GPS Topcon i'm thinking.Did read all the other posts here,more on Trimble tho!

xcavate77

We have used Topcon for almost 6 years now and are quite happy with it. We have both a Legacy Base with Hiper+ Rover and a GR-3 base and rover. The GR-3 has been great, we recently replaced the Legacy's original radio with a digital one and have had good luck there also. I would recommend a base station if you are requiring consistent accuracy. The networks (such as the one set up by the state) have good horizontal tolerances but vertical is still very sketchy. The radio in the base communicates with the radio in the rover which then is synched with the controller, in our case an FC-100. All in all pretty user friendly and a good value for our investment

pushcat

GPS won't work on a trencher, at least not good enough for me, stick with laser. Love them or hate them, Zeigler in Altoona will set you up if you want it anyway.

Construct'O

Occupation
Got questions?

GPS won't work on a trencher, at least not good enough for me, stick with laser. Love them or hate them, Zeigler in Altoona will set you up if you want it anyway.

How do you have yours setup and which one are you using? Topcon,Trimble,Deere RTK network? Lots of plow guys using GPS? for not working?You using base station and rover,or local state network?

What machine do you lay drainage tile with plow or trencher? Laser has it's limits also! Distance and need grade breaker at times.My laser system is getting outdated,so to replace it work bring the cost of the GPS system down?

I have laser system,will have machine setup for both, was wanting too use GPS for survey and faster lay out and mapping as tile is installed.(AGPS software will do this).Latec also has a small box they use with network GPS for measuring and mapping.

Also do you use AGPS(has vertical curve tech) software on your trencher? If so what isn't working for you????

Ziegler pushes Trimble,i want Topcon(Star Equipment) if i go GPS.:usa

928G Boy

GPS simply isn't as accurate as a laser. That's why laser augmentation for GPS exists. I don't know much about trenching but I've laid a lot of pipe... for anything pressurized GPS works good, but for drainage pipes GPS is a no-no.

When I was surveyor for an engineering company we'd check grade for waterline and dirt work with GPS, but for setting blue tops for a concrete pavement or staking/checking drainage pipe... The old rod and level is still the best.

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Laser vs GPS.

Hello.

A correctly configured GPS system is nice, but can do only so much.
I have an older Backhoe that I retrofitted with position sensing, the single best thing I ever did!
Laser has its use, just like GPS, but I use a "plotted course" position when digging, that is to say, actually measure my position from the ground and set my position from there.
GPS and Laser are nice, but for the kind of jobs I have been doing this is the best way.

Construct'O

Occupation
GPS simply isn't as accurate as a laser. That's why laser augmentation for GPS exists. I don't know much about trenching but I've laid a lot of pipe... for anything pressurized GPS works good, but for drainage pipes GPS is a no-no.

When I was surveyor for an engineering company we'd check grade for waterline and dirt work with GPS, but for setting blue tops for a concrete pavement or staking/checking drainage pipe... The old rod and level is still the best.

For you you laser guys......... tell this GPS guys that you can't use GPS for installing drainage tile !!!!!!

Check out this website>>>>>>>>>
http://www.agpsinc.com/

Looks like lots of guys doing it for not working:beatsme I can't say,but would like to be able to use GPS.I have reseached a lot of infomation since i started thinking about trying this,and if i'm ever able to go GPS this will be the system i use.

"Built by drainage contractors for drainage contracts".

The ones here that says it won't work read this and then post back,and if you are using this system tell me why it doesn't work??????

Because of my age,cost,and return on investment short term and not longterm because of age reason.I probably won't pursue GPS.Mainly i don't use a plow and not enough flat ground,don't do a lot of pattern tiling,and enough feet per year to justify a GPS system.

At least check out the link above and post back with your why nots,okay !!!!!!!!:usa

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
for drainage i think i would use gps for the directions and if the elevations is not accurate enough i would use a laser to correct it
you have so many solutions tody with gps so no matter what or where you are doing you can alway find a solution that will help
and if the gps is not accurate enough you can shoose a uts/ats solution whish still uses the same 3D models as gps but it is accurate within 1-3 mm in a radius at 800 meters i have used this solution myself on my dozer on a railway in a forest where the gps couldnt get any signal
nobody uses laser anymore at least not in denmark