• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need advise on new/ used backhoe

Farmrboy

We farm so not looking for a new machine but coming from a case 580ck anything is bound to be better lol. But I want the advantages and disadvantages of the following machines cat 416C/420D, deere 310g/sg &410G, case 580/590 SL/SM, and Volvo bl70. I know my range is wide but I really know nothing about these machines. I know I want 4x4, extend a hoe, and cab. I would like ride control but seems a lot don't have this feature can it be added? What about pilot controls over 2 stick? Powershift or direct drive? Looking for a good machine, service for all are within a hr and half but cat has 3 dealers in the area within 50 miles thanks guys

AzIron

You can't loose on a 416c and you can find them in your part of the world around 30 grand with less than 7000 hours with a cab and e stick cause they a re municipal machines the only major weak point on a 416c is the boom they crack about 10 inches back from the bull nose but if your not in hard digs or big abusive rocks they hold up ok.

420d is ok has a few more things that are minor issues stay away from early 420s they had major frame problems after the second production year they were much better

Deere g series was pretty stout you shouldn't have any major problems there

As far as pilot controls versus warble sticks when buying used machines for a good price it's not a decision maker

rickw

I think one of the most important things is finding a machine that has been cared for. They can be pretty rough in those ages. We bought a 1 owner/operator SuperL a few yrs back that was pretty nice. We looked at some trade ins at dealers that you could tell were run hard...

Delmer

Thanks guys what’s your thoughts on ride control and 4 in 1 bucket?

Nice if you can find them? I wouldn't add either one unless you found a great deal on one without a four in one bucket, then maybe.

I don't know what you want to do with it and what else you have that it's "competing" with. I don't see a lot of used backhoes with 4 in 1 buckets or ride control, even 4x4 isn't that common. If you have a wheel loader, dozer, scraper, or excavator, then that changes what you need a backhoe for, and a cheaper one with less options might work better than if you had nothing else and the backhoe had to do everything.

I don't know what advantage powershift would have in a backhoe loader. A torque converter is very well suited to loader work. I don't even know if the powershifts available have a torque converter in front of them or not, it doesn't matter, there's no reason I'd want one. Better MPG on the road maybe?

Farmrboy

The backhoe would be for farm use only, we’ve got a older dozer and a excavator for more serious work. The backhoe would basically be for spreading rock, going around the edge of fields and pushing trees back that fell over in the winter, and some smaller ditch digging and tile holes. Nothing to serious. I was concerned about the 4 in 1 bucket getting sprung or not sealing over time. I found a 416c cat with one that may be a good candidate it doesn’t have a/c but I think that’s manageable.

Delmer

I like the 410 or Cases. I wouldn't overlook a Ford/New Holland if you run across one.

Depends on who's operating it whether the bucket will get sprung or not. Don't pick up something heavy with only one side squeezing and it should be fine.

Any of those without the options would do the job much better for you than the CK. These will all pull themselves out of some impressive mudholes using both buckets, so 4x4 is less important for getting in and out.

Shimmy1

I don't know what advantage powershift would have in a backhoe loader. A torque converter is very well suited to loader work. I don't even know if the powershifts available have a torque converter in front of them or not, it doesn't matter, there's no reason I'd want one. Better MPG on the road maybe?
As a guy that had to learn with a 680E, and then upgrade to a 780C, powershift is going to be very desirable on a farm machine. Close quarters on a job site, standard tranny would be fine. Running around from rock to rock, carrying stuff from here to there, you're going to want a powershift. In all honesty, I don't know about the Volvo, but all the other models listed are all powershift.

Delmer

Some of them are available with either a stick shift with power reverser, or a powershift. You have way more hours on a backhoe than I do, so I won't argue with what you prefer.

I guess I'd just tell Farmerboy to know what's available and figure out which you prefer if it matters to you. As far as I know, none of these are available with a dry/manual clutch like the CK was:D, not that there's anything wrong with that.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The backhoe would be for farm use only, we’ve got a older dozer and a excavator for more serious work. The backhoe would basically be for spreading rock, going around the edge of fields and pushing trees back that fell over in the winter, and some smaller ditch digging and tile holes. Nothing to serious. I was concerned about the 4 in 1 bucket getting sprung or not sealing over time. I found a 416c cat with one that may be a good candidate it doesn’t have a/c but I think that’s manageable.

Does the unit you are looking at not have AC or is it in place and not working?

The inability to have AC in a cab tractor would be a deal killer for me. Granted I live further south but I ran my machine for several hours yesterday with the AC on. It was overcast and 60 degrees outside. I refer to the cab as my glass oven. I could come closer to doing without a heater although I ran that for a while to start.

A cab and AC was my main prerequisite when I started shopping. The hoe I have was said to have AC but needing a compressor. When I got it the compressor was completely missing and the AC wiring had been jury rigged. Not sure what the story is on my compressor mount but it looks to be homemade. At any rate the condenser and evaporator was in place and the stock wiring was intact but needed the controls. I found a stock climate control on ebay and just bought a Sanyo compressor with the right fittings. My compressor choice and mounting doesn't resemble the parts manual but I managed to get it to mount and run true after some shimming. To add the whole system would have been cost prohibitive.