• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a new site Laser

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have been using auto-level site lasers from these guys for years:
http://www.precisionlasers.com.au/index.php/products/category/general_construction_lasers

The best thing has been the service, annual calibration reminders mailed out, repairs have been cheap (a grano worker ran over my laser:mad:) and they always have a spare for hire. Mine is an old David White and I now have the Rugby 100. I think the Rugby 50 is very good value if you don't do slopes.

Hendrik

I have been using auto-level site lasers from these guys for years:
http://www.precisionlasers.com.au/index.php/products/category/general_construction_lasers

The best thing has been the service, annual calibration reminders mailed out, repairs have been cheap (a grano worker ran over my laser:mad:) and they always have a spare for hire. Mine is an old David White and I now have the Rugby 100. I think the Rugby 50 is very good value if you don't do slopes.
The Leicas have a good reputation and there is a 55 on stealbay for 1500 bucks, although designed for interior work it is weather proof and has a manual slope feature
Or for the same price there is a Topcon RL-H3C
I doubt that I will be doing dual slope work in the foreseeable future and a single slope machine will do. I do trenches for stormwater pipes now and again and it would be handy to just set the level up and go.
How does this manual slope thingy work? Do you level the machine and then tilt it to the desired percentage?
I guess it is a matter of getting some quotes and doing the math.

Hendrik

Don't buy that one on Ebay. First they don't list the specs, and after a web search I could not find anything on that laser except a couple of Ebay pages.

Who makes it? What are the specs? Where do you get service for it? And what is with that scope on top of it.
It appears that laser is made in different colours and goes by other names
http://www.cmiindustries.com.au/pro2000g.html
However they are built in a big factory in China somewhere.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
That CMI laser is more money but has half the accuracy and range of the CST in the link you posted earlier.

I never really use the dual slope much, but use the single slope a lot. I have also used my lasers when our pipe laser quit and had to got to the shop for repair. Basically just set it at the end of the pipe and set the slope I needed for the pipe and just used the rod on top of the pipe.

How to set the slope:

For our LM800 which does not have a digital readout lcd screen. I first set it to level automatically. Then figure what the height difference will be for a given slope, 1.5% slope in 100 feet height 1.5 feet higher at the other end. Then use the remote control until I get that difference.

With our ALGR its easy, just use the remote or the buttons on the laser and set it to 1.5% on the screen.

So a LCD screen model is the way to go.

You will find that the ALGR has a lot of interesting features. One is lay down mode, you attach the laser to the tripod or even on a floor on its side. I have used it this way to shoot a straight line over rolling terrain to set up fence posts over a distance of 660 feet. Also in laydown mode and using the plumb beam which comes out the top of of the laser, you can square up a slap, floor etc. since the top beam and the rotating beam will be 90 degrees to each other. Another feature is sweep mode and spot mode. I haven't really used it this way yet but could see where it could be useful. I have played with it in these modes to see how it works, and you use the remote and can control where the beam goes and can stop it in one spot and move it slightly left or right to get it dialed in to where you want it. The LM800 also has all these features.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
LUFKIN

• Bright clear visible red beam.
• Horizontal or vertical rotation, Vertical fixed plumbing beam, vertical or horizontal 90º beams.
• 4 rotating speeds.
• Low battery warning indication.
• Robust, water resistant construction.
• Levelling bubbles internally mounted for accuracy & stability.
• Rugged, high impact housing.
• Laser can be set up horizontally or vertically on the ground without the need for tripods.
• Accuracy: 3mm in 15m (1/8" in 100ft).

I thought 15m was 49ft ergo it should be 1/4" in 100ft.

Hendrik

That CMI laser is more money but has half the accuracy and range of the CST in the link you posted earlier.

I never really use the dual slope much, but use the single slope a lot. I have also used my lasers when our pipe laser quit and had to got to the shop for repair. Basically just set it at the end of the pipe and set the slope I needed for the pipe and just used the rod on top of the pipe.

How to set the slope:

For our LM800 which does not have a digital readout lcd screen. I first set it to level automatically. Then figure what the height difference will be for a given slope, 1.5% slope in 100 feet height 1.5 feet higher at the other end. Then use the remote control until I get that difference.

With our ALGR its easy, just use the remote or the buttons on the laser and set it to 1.5% on the screen.

So a LCD screen model is the way to go.
OK lets summarize what's out there:
1. the basic manual leveling type with no slope feature
2. the basic auto self leveling type without slope feature
3. auto self leveling with manual slope feature
4. auto self leveling with dial in grade control
5. auto self leveling with dual slope
So the problem is that I have champagne taste but a beer budget, would love number 5 but the budget will only stretch to number 3 in the brand name range.
I suppose one way to look at it is to say that 90% of my work is level and 10% is slope/pipe work, thus the time spend in setting up a manual grade is not that big a deal and if I find that the ratio changes I can always upgrade my laser level at a later date.
The one big consideration I do have is expanding my skills/capabilities in regards to what I can do. I have never worked with dual grades but would like to know how to do it. I suppose that is like a mechanic who works on domestic cars wanting to be able to work on a Ferrari. However the finances are tight due to some unexpected costs and the dual grade level might have to wait unless I take a punt on those Chinese cheapies on fleabay.
Anyway I feel I am getting closer to getting the right machine for my current needs and situation.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
I just can't believe the prices for lasers down there. Is the shipping that much. Our dollars are fairly close in value, within 10%.

On the another board I post at, ContractorTalk.com. There is a guy there that also sells CST lasers and other products, and he is a little cheaper than Engineer Supply. Don't know if he can ship to Australia.

Here is link to thread where we were talking about lasers, and he has his website link there. Name is Aiken Colon.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/all-one-laser-needed-66853/

His website:
http://www.aikencolon.com/cst-berger-57-algrpkg-electonic-lcd-lial-in-self-leveling-rotary-laser

Do try and get a name brand. I would be worried about the chinese lasers on Ebay. I am not saying that chinese is bad, they can be good as long as it is a recognized name. The Bosch lasers are made in China, they got started in lasers when they bought the RoboToolz laser company which is based in Hong Kong. Bosch also bought CST/David White, more info about this at the link at the other board.

But about CST and David White, they are the same company and have been for years. There are quite a few CST and David White models that are basically the same. They might be a little different on the outside, but are exactly the same on the inside.

So with the CST/David White info, I looked on Ebay Au and found a David White 3175 which is basically the same laser as the CST ALGR. Both have dual slope, same specs, and the important LCD digital display. The price is $1395 US or $1503 AU, just don't know what the shipping would be and this is coming from a US company.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/David-White-AutoLaser-3175-Dual-Grade-Split-Beam-Laser_W0QQitemZ280401565518QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item41493c574e

J_Deere

I have owned a lot of Topcon Lasers. The biggest reason I keep replacing them is because they keep getting stolen! :mad: I currently own a dual-slope, three single slope and one level only model. The only repairs where due to accidental damage.

Hendrik

Well I bit the bullet and blew the budget and bought a brand new second hand Hilti PR 25 off ebay, cost was AU$1400, a bit more than I wanted to spend but it is a quality machine made in Germany. Could have bought a no name Chinese one for half the price but..........
http://www.hilti.com.au/holau/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-11863
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270496789606&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123
Unfortunately it did not come with a staff clamp but I should be able to get one from Hilti and can use my old one in the mean time.
Anyway it looks to be the ducks guts and I love just pushing a button and the thing works, no more bubbles for this fella:D

Occupation
Farmer
Anyone used the Futura LT-710 ? I am looking for a slope laser also and am confused with all the options. The Rugbys seem to be nice but are pricey.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Have never heard of Futtura lasers.

And yes the Leica's are pricey.

Thats why I bought CST Bergers. If you go back to my first post in this thread there is a link to a CST ALGR dual slope laser with all the goodies, tripod, rod, V mount, remote control, etc. for less than half the price of the Futtura and the same or better specs.

What are you confused about?

Occupation
Farmer
CST ALGR seems to be a nice laser. Looks to be quality with budget in mind and a nice bunch of goodies. I am new to this type of equipment. I plan to build grassed waterways on some of our farms this summer. I need to check that 10% slope is enough. (I havent seen plans for every system yet) I am planning to run a bullseye 5 also and use for double checking fall of new ditches. I have read that all brands of lasers will run bullseye. Have you used one with yours?

I guess the confusion comes from looking at so many. Self inflicted sort of but I want to make the right choice.

Thanks for the Link!

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Yes we have a Bullseye 3+ that we use with our lasers.

If you need more than 10% slope then that will really cost you. If I remember right the Leica 300SG or something like that will go up to a 25% slope in single slope mode and 15% in dual slope mode but it costs around $5,000. And I think the 270SG will go up to 15% single slope only for a price of around $3000.

Other than slope percentage the CST has the same accuracy and range as these Leica's.

Also if you really look at the specs, on these higher slope lasers the accuracy falls way off after a 10% slope.

Edited model of lasers.

Last edited: