• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

need a little bit of technical info on the Case D450

reubenT

but first a little background; I'm here in middle TN with 80+ acres on a mountain side to work with. + my neighbors 47 I can use some of as well if I clear it.
I recently swapped my weak running '59 D4 cat for a case D450 track loader ID no. 3027760. with a piston rod sticking through a hole in the side of the block. But it has good track pins & bushings and fairly new sprockets and was being used a good bit before the engine threw a rod a couple years ago. I did drive it a little several years ago when it was here for my neighbors use, and have driven a 450 dozer a little as well. I need this thing running soon to finish up some land clearing and get 300 apple trees planted before warm weather arrives. They don't dare wait another year to get moved as they are getting too big in the garden. I'm also getting into sorghum making, (bought an antique sorghum mill last fall) grow some milling corn for meal, and various vegetable and fruit crops. I could probably find at least 20 acres usable on the mountain side for something more edible and profitable than timber trees.

Brake slave cy's are rusted up solid. I will deal with them as I can. but they arn't essential to it operating.
It did not have a roll cage originally, someone's home made cage is worthlessly flimsy so I'll be building a good strong one on it. ( I am not comfortable running it on our occasionally steep terrine without something sturdy around me) and also plan on adding a brush/log grab arm on the bucket. Since I have very little cash (getting it running will improve the cash flow considerably, due to the ability to get some logging done back up the mountain side) and plenty of junk around to work with, metal lathe, etc. I decided to adapt a different engine to run the machine like I did a john deer tractor which as worked fine for several years. The adaptation is probably no more time consuming than rebuilding the original engine and a whole lot cheaper. All I gotta do is turn the input shaft at the right speed with sufficient torque with what ever drive I can come up with. I have that set up already and coupled to the main hydraulic pump as well. A friend gave me a wrecked minivan with good V6 in it so I'm gonna use it. The charge pump will be mounted to belt drive off the engine in place of the original air conditioning pump.

However I need to make the transmission hydraulic controls work with the torque converter missing. The charge pump line passes across the control valve and then to the torque converter. I found a pressure of 180 - 240 for the torque converter in a previous discussion. So I assume if I put a regulator on the line for something under 300 and into a return line it will work. Am I right? But there are 2 return lines from the torque converter. One runs through the cooler and dumps back into the top of transmission through a low pressure line. I suppose I can use that for the return. But the other return line is a pressure hose going into the bottom of the transmission. What is that one for and does it need pressure on it to make the transmission work? or for lubrication? I can blow through it freely into the transmission case so it acts like it just opens up in there, in which case I could plug it with no harm. and if that's the case why is it a pressure hose? Thanks for any info ya'll can help me with. you can help me get my good food growing operation on it's way to escalated production.

thebaz

I may have misunderstood your post, but it sounded like you were going to replace the diesel motor and replace it with a petrol passenger vehicle motor and do away with the torque converter.
If I got that right, then even if you manage to save money on the conversion compared to re-building the original diesel, it will a very time consuming project, with a substandard machine that will have a zero resale value.
The torque converter is essential to a loader and with my experience with Case machines, is that they generally got the match of engine/trans/hydraulics just right. Any more power and you would break things more often, any less power and it would be under powered. I would look for an original replacement motor since the block is shot.
If I got that wrong, sorry.

reubenT

It made sense to me in my situation. (Besides I thrive on that kind of mechanical challenge) So if no one knows I'll just see what happens.
It's almost ready to start up, just have to get the radiator put back on. I've set it up with 1.5-1 ratio to the drive line and a hand clutch lever beside the loader levers. So it'll take only a second to engage and disengage the drive. The drive force will be limited to what 4 B belts will deliver without slipping, 2 belts were just barely enough/marginal with a 4 cy 75hp car engine driving a 2010 John Deer tractor with a 2-1 ratio. (Model 2010 made in the mid 60's, not the year) Been running it for 3 years logging and making hay. I just have to take it easy and not push it in a higher gear.
My next project will be a modern version of a steam powered solid fuel tractor. Another challenge that will be interesting. I already have an ofeldt water tube boiler half built and will try modifying an IC engine to run on steam, if that doesn't last I may have to put my little foundry to work and build an engine designed for steam.