• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Naturally Aspirated Road Graders

D&GExcavating

I was recently looking through Iron Planet and decided to look through the motor grader section, and I found a Caterpillar 12H in Alabama with a naturally aspirated (non turbo) 3306? Is this a blade that was meant for export, or can/do people really order newer blades with a naturally aspirated engine? What would be the reasoning?

hotrod49er

Occupation
County road Maintenance
If I remember correctly The difference between a 12g and a 140g was the 140 had a turbo. So I think the early serial numbers on a 12h had no turbo. And now you have an option with or without.

D&GExcavating

I was just confused because I think it was a 2001 model, and I saw another 2002 12H on there with a turbo. I guess I didn't know they came without a turbo since the old no. 12s

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Might be like the D6 C dozer, I never new the the D6 C came out non Turboed till I seen one, since found out that there were some that came out non turboed at 125hp, later ones came out @ 140hp turboed, so there ya go. Cheers RDG.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was recently looking through Iron Planet and decided to look through the motor grader section, and I found a Caterpillar 12H in Alabama with a naturally aspirated (non turbo) 3306? Is this a blade that was meant for export, or can/do people really order newer blades with a naturally aspirated engine? What would be the reasoning?
If you have a Serial Number for the machine I'll tell you if it was originally built with a turbo or not.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
12H Machine Serial # 4XM00567 was originally built with a 3306 engine Serial Number 08Z88233. Engine Arrangement was 110-5760. The model is listed as a 12H NA which means "naturally aspirated" i.e. No turbo. Engine produces 155BHP @ 2000RPM.

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
12H Machine Serial # 4XM00567 was originally built with a 3306 engine Serial Number 08Z88233. Engine Arrangement was 110-5760. The model is listed as a 12H NA which means "naturally aspirated" i.e. No turbo. Engine produces 155BHP @ 2000RPM.

Hi Nige. I have read lots of your posts and I do think you know you stuff but I'll have to argue with you on this. The NA I believe means North American version. I have a 160H and it is a NA version and it indeed is turbo charged!!!

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
By the way. A lot of the 12G's an I think 12H's came without a turbo. Really not a problem unless you were up in high altitude. We had a 12 without a turbo in Colorado that ran like a dog. We got a job in New Mexico that dropped down to around 1200 feet and it ran like a champ on that job.

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
You are both right, The NA or Global designation after the specific machine model, (140H NA or 140H Global) tells us what market it was produced for, or where it may be sold. The NA or T after the specific engine model, 3306NA or 3306T tells us if that engine is naturally aspirated or turbocharged. As to why some machine models were produced turbo, and others produced non-turbo, I think it has to do with how much horspower was needed in a specific machine, whether the manufacturer wanted to change basic engine to boost power levels, and also the ability of a turbo engine to work at higher altitudes without losing performance.
There are probably other reasons too, but these are some of the basics.

smoothoperator

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
You are both right, The NA or Global designation after the specific machine model, (140H NA or 140H Global) tells us what market it was produced for, or where it may be sold. The NA or T after the specific engine model, 3306NA or 3306T tells us if that engine is naturally aspirated or turbocharged. As to why some machine models were produced turbo, and others produced non-turbo, I think it has to do with how much horspower was needed in a specific machine, whether the manufacturer wanted to change basic engine to boost power levels, and also the ability of a turbo engine to work at higher altitudes without losing performance.
There are probably other reasons too, but these are some of the basics.

smoothoperator

Yeah I need to appoligize to Nige!!! I looked it up in the perfomance handbok and seen that about the engines. I'd say the listing is wrong on that piece of machinery though as it is listed as 12H NA Should have been 12H with 3306NA.. I did find the sheet on the Altitude derate. Pretty big difference between the 12H NA and 12H STD. Glad we got that settled haha!

CatGrader

Occupation
Grader Operator
1 thing I found was a late model 12G self aspirated 3306 was better at pushing than any 140G ( xcept for 1 that I suspect they wound the racks out a bit ) that I have ever driven. 14g was absolutely hopeless for power. ( But we push alot of dirt over here ) once they loaded up and the turbo started to wind down they went to pak. The series 2 14H will leave a 16G for dead. And also give the 16H a run for it's money - and that's running a 16' blade..:drinkup

Last edited:

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
1 thing I found was a late model 12G self aspirated 3306 was better at pushing than any 140G ( xcept for 1 that I suspect they wound the racks out a bit ) that I have ever driven. 14g was absolutely hopeless for power. ( But we push alot of dirt over here ) once they loaded up and the turbo started to wind down they went to pak. The series 2 14H will leave a 16G for dead. And also give the 16H a run for it's money - and that's running a 16' blade..:drinkup

I would say that if any of them aren't set right they are not going to perform like they should. I have had 12G's that I wouldn't give you a dime for and them run one just like it and it was a horse. I also had the same thing happen with a 14G. I used to operate a 14 G in New Mexico that would roll the dirt like nobody's business. We had a 14G here where I work now that was a dog and it even had a 14' moldboard.