• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Name For Small Business

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
You or your dad have nick names. Hougie's been a family nickname handed down it our family so i named mine Hougie's Hoe Service.

Hmmm I can imagine the calls from "lonely individuals" looking for solace and comfort late at night......................:)

Remember the alphabetical order of the yellow pages etc, and the name need to be remembered at a glance or have a good tag line and logo, preferably something easily recognisable....................

woorarra

I went with Green edge contracting as my business name was going to go with Green edge excavating but thought I would limit my opportunities with excavation in the title, makes it easier to diversify in the future.

Dougster

Some good ideas here so far. My thoughts:

1) Don't waste your money on the Yellow pages. No one uses them anymore. I made that mistake and got nothing out of it. On the other hand, make sure you have a top-shelf website and lots of links to it. Make sure you can be found easily via Google and Yahoo. Use Craigslist to start for sure. Use local newspaper ads if you can afford them but don't cheap out if you do so. Flashy, well-placed ads work... not so much for small cheapy ads in the back pages.

2) Get rid of "excavation" in the company name unless you like paying double insurance and being confused with the big track excavator boys. Yours is essentially a backhoe and trucking service with a little demo work thrown in.. You can explain to folks what you do on your website and in your on-line directory listings.

3) As someone else mentioned, the word "services" in the name tends to be a plus. Keeping your name more general will also allow you greater flexibility as your business develops in unpredictable directions. Don't try to cover everything you want to do in your company name.

4) All that said, I personally like short, sweet, easy to remember names... the more unique and pithy, the better. But I also happen to like the word "trucking" in the mix too since it differentiates you from the average, run-of-the-mill Bobcat service.

Dougster

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
I have always been partial to "Joe Dirt Contracting" Joe knows dirt!

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Your reputation is your key asset, for a start up company, figure out what your going to be doing most then have that in the title somewhere, otherwise go with tom smith enterprises or something like that, I started with just my name on my truck and equipment, along with a number to call, but above all don't let the quality of the work you do ever slip, it'll shut you down quicker than anything. If there are a lot of smiths in your area, you need to somehow advertise differently than they do, by not only the name but also style of logo's they use, especially if they have a bad reputation, if there are some with smith that have a really bad reputation, don't use smith at all in the name. There was a guy years back that used the logo of "the digger man" on his stuff, look through the catchy company logo's here on this site to see what others use from different area's that may apply to you in your area. some others are the 'the backhoe man" or I've seen just a number on equipment to call, with no name. I wouldn't get too hung up on a name at first, you just need a way for people to get ahold of you, a number is the most important thing to have on anything.

Randy: I thought the same thing reading through this thread..... It's funny you should mention catchy names......I recently started working with a trucker from Oronoco, MN and his trucking co was called Double HP trucking. When one thinks about it Double HP kind of sounds like...... get there with twice as much HP and twice as fast don't it?

By the way I think he really does live up to his name.... without being reckless of course.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I have a problem with doing construction work with a Farm license..... I pay the fiddler, shouldn't you?

Did I miss something again gramps? I know I've been off the radar a while, but.............?????????

Sometimes ya just got to explain it to me I guess...........lol

Last edited:

grandpa

Did I miss something again gramps? I know I've been off the radar a while, but.............?????????

Sometimes ya just got to explain it to me I guess...........lol

Dunno about other state's, but here in Minn. the state issue's T license plate's, they are for farmers doing farm type work. These license are considerably cheaper than the regular issue truck plates.

Yet I often get to bid against these "Farmers" in various types of construction projects. I can and will compete against anyone if the playing field is level.... thus my thoughts on Farm license..... Gramps.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Dunno about other state's, but here in Minn. the state issue's T license plate's, they are for farmers doing farm type work. These license are considerably cheaper than the regular issue truck plates.

Yet I often get to bid against these "Farmers" in various types of construction projects. I can and will compete against anyone if the playing field is level.... thus my thoughts on Farm license..... Gramps.

I dunno......I sincerely hope that is not what is been happening to ya.

durallymax

Are you bidding on lawn renovations or? The difference in plate due's ,while high, is not substantial in my eyes. In WI standard Heavy Farm Truck plates will run you $640 for 80k for 1 year. Standard Heavy Truck Non-Farm plates will run you $640 PER 1/4 ($1,920 difference). I also realize you don't need to license your truck for all 4 quarters of the year either. However, I do agree with your concerns that those people should be running proper licensing with proper authority and insurance. I also understand the insurance difference is also a large factor, however they are subject to the same DOT reg's and run the same fuel as you too. In the end it is not right, but I would say if its causing your business to go under then you have some other issues.

If the guys running around with farm plates haven't been caught yet, they obviously don't do that much work or haven't been around long, thus the quality of work in turn should be low and as long as your number 2, who do they call to fix it? You, and then you get to make more money.

Farm Plate laws are vague and all in the interpretation, most farm vehicles don't need them as long as they do not haul to a point of sale. This would include feed trucks, manure trucks and apron box silage trucks. Dump body trucks are a grey area. You may only haul silage with it, but your options are very open with that type of box and if they want to pinch you they can. If hauling your own product to a point of sale you need farm plates. If hauling anything for hire you cannot run farm plates.

Are the farmers screwing you over? In a way yes they are making it tougher on you but the licensing isnt the killer, its their overall price. I'm a dairy farmer myself so time is always of the essense, but all of the CBM (Corn, Beans, Miami) farmers need something to do the other 363 days a year they dont have to work, so they often buy a truck and start trucking or start excavating, in order to keep busy they undercut because they don't have to make a profit.

Good luck in the future though.

To the OP. I like to keep names out of the name. I agree it adds a personal touch, but there are better ways to do it than with your name. Your name limits you. Why would a guy whos name is tom buy joes dirt digging? The reputation would be lost if he switched the name. Enterprises or Services keeps your options open, but I tend to think of those as "blanket" names. They sometimes end up being the operating company when people diversify and or split up their divisions. Lets say you settle on Smith as the name (which i highly advise against as it is the or one of the top names in the country). Trucking can be Smith Transit/Smith Transport/Smith Trucking/Smith Logistics/Smith Transfer. I think "logistics" is a little over the top for what you want to do, however it is the most professional sounding as it usually means your running a larger fleet and doing all of the actual "logistics" stuff in house and offer your "logistics" knowledge to others. Transit has always been my favorite I guess. Trucking sounds like a "good-ol boys" name to me, many people like it but its just not me. Transit sounds more professional and modern i guess.

Think of identifiers. What landmarks/natural features are in your area. What are your hobbies, what do people know you buy? Find something unique to you, your area, and your operation. That is what people will remember you by. If you raise hogs for a living, something as corny as "Squealin' Transit" . A person in our area named his manure hauling business "Dairy Aire Trucking". Think of something catchy on the "edge". Thats what more people remember, unfortuneatley you may loose some business to ultra conservative people which in illinois could be an issue. A buddies baling business's motto is "Because We Know You Like Em' Tight".

Try to stay away from fads in the name. Things like "Black Smoke Trucking" are going to look bad and you will regret it down the road when your mind changes.

Or use the cash grain farmer acronym "CBM Transit" (CBM= Corn, beans, Miami)

Good luck to you.