1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

N&S RR lost their bridge at Brunswick MO

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by DMiller, Oct 3, 2019.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    This is in trying to stop the loss, failed.

colson04 likes this.
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
  3. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Who's the supervisor that didn't stand tall? The guy who should have said "I'm not sending two of my guys and equipment out on the bridge, to try to clear a impossible to clear log jam!" The river is going to take what it wants. They might have had a chance if it was a few trees, but there were trees stacked out a quarter mile from the bridge.

I don't know that I would have been standing that close to the rails when it went either, unless the rails were cut/ untied at the joint (which it looks like they were).

I'll never forget looking at a derailment when I was young and saw rails bowed out 100' from where the line was, pushed there by the cars, in a big S shape. There is a lot of stored energy in a bent steel rail.

DMiller, Camshawn and RZucker like this.
  4. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Stupid sending guys out there......the small crane couldn't grab squat it was packed so tight.

No chance at all in saving that bridge.

Ed

DMiller, Camshawn and RZucker like this.
  5. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Somewhere there is a video of a guy with a torch getting launched by a rail that was involved in a derailment.

DMiller likes this.
  6. kenh

kenh Well-Known Member

My reaction was: " No way in Hell I would be going out there with this ^%$%$ Crane!"

DMiller likes this.
  7. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Just because hindsight is 20/20, would they have been better off to cut the beams of the bridge loose, blast them off like they do when they demo a steel bridge? If the steel had been gone, they could have probably saved the pilings, then to fix it, all they would have needed was new bridge girders.

Probably hard to set up in a crisis situation, call the army and have them do it as a "training exercise". Plus that's a pretty gutsy call to make, "blow the bridge", not likely to happen in a corporate structure, no one willing to make a decision like that.

I think with the steel gone, they might have saved the rest, now its a job to rebuild.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    DMiller likes this.
  8. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Of course. If they had the foresight to cut out one section and get a crane on either side, I bet they could have herded that backup through.

check and DMiller like this.
  9. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    should of had a track hoe with a grapple instead of a cable rig with a clamshell bucket

hosspuller, Pixie and DMiller like this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Sorry to say for rail its run what you brung
    Very ugly incident

11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Hate to say it but they were trying to bail out the Titanic with a Dixie Cup.

donkey doctor likes this.
  12. terex herder

terex herder Well-Known Member

Just like BP and their oil rig. It's always safety first until it starts costing real money. Then its just do the job and management only watches the checkbook.

DMiller likes this.