• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new Sterling!

lehner&sons

Hello everyone! Great site that I just found recently! Lots of great people sharing and helping each other out with very useful information! I recognize a few of you here from plow site! I had to show off my latest toy! I just brought her home last Wednesday. We were in the need for a dump truck after realizing just how much time and $ that was being wasted using the dump trailer and pickup and having loads brought in for us. I decided to go on the hunt for a dump. I started off looking for a good single axle and one thing led to another and this is what I ended up purchasing. A 2005 Sterling Quad with a 19' Beau Roc dump. 450hp Mercedes engine with the Eaton Fuller 8LL Trans. Truck is currently hauling just over 18 tons of topsoil and gravel. I had the truck setup for asphalt as well so I will be able to haul that if needed to keep the truck busy as long into the season as possible. Here is a picture I took the night I brought her home.

Keep up the great work on this site! I will be a frequent visitor now that I found it!

Chris Lehner
Lehner & Sons LLC

Attachments

• 2005sterling.JPG
    2005sterling.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,043

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com!!:drinkup

Nice looking truck! I always liked the Ford Louisville which is what that's derived from. I hate to think how many hours I've got in them!

What's the GVWR on that truck with all those axles? Here we can register at 80,000 on a ten wheeler with just one extra axle.

lehner&sons

The truck is licensed at 63,000. I am not sure why now but we could of went to 64,000. I will have to ask the dealer on that one. Empty the truck weighs in at 26,000. I actually just put the plates on it today and gave it its first bath. We put 39 hours of work on it last week(short week with the holiday) mostly hauling topsoil out of a few job sites. :drinkup

Chris

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Okay, this might sound like a dumb question, but if the truck is only rated for 63,000, why do you need quad axles? I've seen tri-axles around here rated for at least 80,000 and some up to 105,000. Now I understand that the axles on these trucks are larger, thus you can carry more load with a lesser amount of axles, but I would have never guessed that you could get a quad axle truck rated for 63,000. I would have assumed a quad axle truck to be rated for somewhere around 100,000 or so. So with that said, what special purpose do the extra 2 lift axles serve vs. a dual axle rated for the same GVW? Trucks definately aren't my strong side, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to figuring out all the jargon.

Anywho, nice truck by the way! Sterling's definately have a very distinctive style and your truck is gorgeous! Congrats and good luck with it!

Last edited:

kamerad47

Legally you can only be 80,000 lbs anywhere You can get over weight permits in some states (they are not east to come by) but you are limited to where a when you can haul!! This is one of the states that goes by axle weight the more axles the more weight!! the trucks look stupid!! Haven't you ever seen a Michigan Train!!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Lots of great people sharing and helping each other out...

Yep. Then there are a couple who just say whatever they feel, without thinking about whether a negative comment, regardless of how sincerely meant it might be, is really something that's necessary to make. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Personally, I think that's a sweet looking truck. Feel free to park it in my driveway anytime, (even if you did register it a little lighter than you could have).

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
There's a few new Sterlings running around here and it wouldn't surprise me if I don't see more in the future. Personally, I think they're (including your new baby) a fine looking truck and wouldn't mind having one myself. Around here, a typical 4 axle truck and 4 axle trailer will get you to 105,000 provided you get the trailer stretched waaaaaay out there. I don't recall the distance, but it's far enough dot requires a flashing light on the reach so someone doesn't try to pull in between the truck and trailer.

I'd be interested in hearing about some of the financial details if you don't mind, but I'd understand if wanted to keep it private.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
the trucks look stupid!!

Whoops!

I think I might've gotten a little out of line.

In my last post I took a little shot at what I thought kamerad47 had said. What I read the first time was "the truck looks stupid. That would've been a pretty insensitive thing to say about somebody's new baby. Now that I've read it again, more carefully, I realize that he was making a general statement about trucks with lots of axles. Nothing wrong with that.

Kamerad, please accept my apology. I was way too hasty to criticize...

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Don't feel bad digger, my initial reaction was the same as yours. Sometimes my eyes read too fast for my brain to comprehend. Other times I'll read a couple of pages in a book and have to go back and read it over because I couldn't remember if I actually read it :spaz

xkvator

She's Gorgeous Chris,
Those wheels really make her stand out...my wife keeps asking me why i've been staring at that pic so long.....
i like the low side body...makes her look long and sleek... :slomo

kamerad47

The truck looks great ! good luck with it ! My point is the weight laws in this country (USA) are stupid!! Why can't they have one law for all the states !! This truck is no good in NY, NJ , PA & alot of other states !! These trucks are whay to long, I've seen them with 8 axles . What is the ride like empty?

lehner&sons

The only reason for paying all of the extra $ for a quad is here in Minnesota, when the weight restrictions go on, we run on roads that are limited to 5 tons per axle. Without a quad axle truck you park your machine and it does not produce any income. That does not make it any easier to make that monthly payment on her. We do snow removal in the winter so as long as it snows some, (knock on wood) it will stay busy most months out of the year. If it were up to me I would of rather bought a tandem but they just dont get the work around here and are parked to many months out of the year due to road restrictions. Check out the length of this truck! This is a quint axle with a 21' box on her! This one only has a 66,000 GVW and has a 256" wheelbase compared to my 244" WB! Man I would hate having to back this one into a tight spot!! Mine is long enough!

Chris

Attachments

• quintsterling.jpg
    quintsterling.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,190

LaLaMan

I never knew they were so strict on weight limits on local haul trucks. I thought the scales were only on the intersate. In NJ all the trucks I see are Triaxels, pretty short trucks, some even with a set back front. And yet online ive seen trucks where there is a 6 foot gap between the cab and dump body.

I would think that the most efficent way to move alot of material would be with a 30 yard+ dump trailer and tractor

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Tis a great looking truck.Glad you have the work for it.

Here in Alaska lift axles are alowed but do not add anything extra to the gross, so they defeet there perpose. Here bridge formula is determand by distance between the axles times SQ. inch. of rubber on the road at all times. If the axles do not lift then they can be used in the formula otherwise they can not. Here that 256" WB with no lift axles could carry more then the 244 with all thoes axles.

Again nice truck.