• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My "new" mowing tractor:

hosspuller

For a gravel driveway, a land plane can't be beat by a box blade. I used to use neighbors back blade. Took many passes because for every bump I took out, I put a dip in. My land plane smooths, crowns and sifts the fines under the larger rock in one pass of each side. Two if the road has been neglected. The action is like shaking a bag of chips. The larger pieces float to the top and the bits settle below.

It is a specialized tool, a box blade or rear blade can transport material better place to place.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have something I'd built years ago for maintaining our gravel drive at family property from semi truck frames. Though manual and not liftable, it works well in that capacity. I kinda copied a "land plane" with that one and we pull it with a Case VAI, or VAC as have both.

My shop property is a different matter. I built it in 2000 and the freshly excavated area was graveled then with 2", then topped with 1" clean. The quarry this rock was from was very soft so it went to dust on short order under the bearing of semi trucks and heavy equipment coming in for repairs at the time. In the drive(s) I have ponds eight inches deep but the main problem is the whole area needs taken down several inches as it's built up far too high in elevation. In the spring I'm going to remove most of the burden with my dozer and start anew. However in the interim I thought I'd just build a box scraper to start to remove the mounds and drag them into these ponds. Nothing yet is set in stone so all subject to modification.

Having only 6K of two wheel drive tractor weight is a limiting factor and I can't get my dozer out till spring.