• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My J.D has a stripped cylinder

fiatmom

The cap came off of my bucket cylinder and the threads are stripped. If I push it back into place could, I put tack welds on to hold it in place?

Diesel Dave

The cap came off of my bucket cylinder and the threads are stripped. If I push it back into place could, I put tack welds on to hold it in place?
If you’re absolutely desperate to use the machine , forget the tacks and just weld it solid.
The cylinder is going to leak any which way you do it.
Anything stopping you from fixing it properly ?
What model machine ?

Labparamour

Previous owner of my Deere track loader did that to a cylinder.
Full circumference weld. It works but, after I’ve had it for 8 years, beginning to leak at seal.
Shopping boneyards for complete replacement.

fiatmom

I am looking for a new cylinder if I can find one, I just had new seals installed but the threads were already worn. It is a JD 310A so it is from the early 70's. Can the threads be redone? I was just looking for options. I did see a complete machine at a local scrap yard but they insisted on crushing it.

Delmer

Any part can be replaced by a machinist. Or a new cylinder can be built entirely, or an existing new cylinder modified to fit. Since it's a bucket cylinder, they are usually the most abused on the machine, so I'd inspect the chrome before making any decision.

If this is the JD special wire lock ring style, then the thread only hold the gland tight to the ring, the ring does all the work, the threaded lock nut could easily be remade in a slightly smaller diameter and the gland threads cut clean at a smaller diameter. But I'm only guessing this is that style based on the age.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I am located on the other side. The shops I know that can do it are both in Allentown. Being Pittsburgh, I am sure there are good hydraulic shops there that could handle that. A quick Google search shows a few shops that could possibly make a cylinder.

fiatmom

Thanks it turns out my old neighbor has a shop. It is for bid pumps and cylinders but I will have to ask him.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
For something that old I would talk to a hydraulic rebuild shop, they could likely repair it or fabricate something that would work.