• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Hoe Squirted...Twice

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Well, actually squirted once and gushed once...LOL;)

About a year ago I repacked my cylinders, including the stabilizers. Fast forward and my driver side stabilizer cylinder started to leak around the threads of the gland nut.

I had a kit, but didn't want to brake up a kit, so I took the O-ring and backer to a hydraulic shop, where I got a couple spares.

Although I had the parts, the weather was good so I kept working, and filling the tank every day.

A couple weeks ago I was working when the boom extend hose suddenly ruptured. Now I had a good mess:(.

20221001_174457.jpg

20221001_174432.jpg
So, I got the hoe back to the house in preparation to make a new hose, and as my luck would have it, it was a 5/8" hose with 3/4" fittings on the end. I have been buying the ORFS fittings every time I order hydraulic stuff as most of my equipment has JIC fittings. And of course, I did not have the fittings. So I ordered them up, and I am all good.
20220906_094331a.jpg
While my hoe was down, I figured it was a good time to fix that stabilizer cylinder...again. I was able to drive out the pin at the stabilizer pad and, with the cylinder in the machine, loosen the gland nut and sneak the new O-ring and backer in without taking the cylinder apart. The backer had a piece blown out, and the O-ring had some damage, presumably from the oil flowing across it. I was very careful to keep the gland centered on reassembly as I figure I damaged it on the last install.
20221001_174049.jpg

Well, Used it most of the day Friday, and my hoe seems to be happy once again:D

I am happy because I don't have to buy any more oil for a while!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Does your hoe lift it's leg or squat to pee?

Don't ya hate having to do something twice?

I rebuilt my left stabilizer twice. The first time for leaking and the second time looking for the cause of slow operation. On the second time I could NOT get the gland loose even though I coated the threads with anti-seize. I ended up taking the cylinder to a hydraulic shop thinking they have the magic sauce to loosen it without damage. They put 3 men with a pipe wrench and a 8 foot pipe on it. After all was said and done the cylinder wasn't the cause of the slow operation and I had to loosen the gland a third time to replace that o-ring again.

Tinkerer

I repacked a stabilizer cylinder three times over a lot months of use.
I had a hydraulic shop reseal it the third time. It would still slowly creep from where I would set it.
I took it off and mounted it on the side of the hoe and it held like a new one.
It was spool leaking in the control valve.
I bought a replacement section and haven't gotten the ambition to do the swap.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I repacked a stabilizer cylinder three times over a lot months of use.
I had a hydraulic shop reseal it the third time.

My fingers are crossed that I don't have to change the O-ring and backup ring again. If I do, I have spares tho.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My left stabilizer will creep down but it's not the fault of the stabilizer. The problem is in the control valve.

When I was fighting the slow operation I found a little piece in one of the safety valve ports. It dawned on me after I put a new safety valve in and put the piece in where I found it. Stabilizer was still slow. Took the little piece out and stabilizer works normal but leaks down. Now I hook a chain on it when I park it.