• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

my dredge new york pics

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Dredge NY

first, this is proof that operators love to argue. second, that cable is about 1 1/2" or better. third, it is there to lift. that setup would not affect stability, the fulcrum is still under the hoe.
You know, someone could email Great Lakes and ask them what it is, Hummm what a thought

Tony

While it might look "flimsy", in actuality that cable is pretty thick. I have seen specs for a similar Komatsu base machine setup on a barge, an know for a fact that the cable is there to assist in the lift portion of the work cycle.
That's it.

Tony

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Dredge NY

Some more....

Cat328d, why dont you call Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co in Staten Is, I think Richmond Terrance and ask them about the cable. I see you are from Staten Island also. Ask to speak to someone in the maintenance dept, or just swing by there and ask

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I agree with Qball its for lift/speed. It doesn't look like it would help much with digging/break force judging by the 2nd pic in post #2.

special tool

Alright - all you geniuses :D who think it is for lift assistance - that's going to require a powerplant at the base of that boom - where is the powerplant??

Don't make me drive down there and take my own pics....I am close.;)

Cat 328d lcr

Theres one of the hoist drum's, its in the left corner. There's also about 75-100 more feet of the bardge/ponton left that its one

Attachments

• 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 627

Cat 328d lcr

Cat328d, why dont you call Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co in Staten Is, I think Richmond Terrance and ask them about the cable. I see you are from Staten Island also. Ask to speak to someone in the maintenance dept, or just swing by there and ask

Being that someone has emailed them, if they get no responce, I will try to get down there

Cat 328d lcr

You trying to tell me that that little yellow canary is lifting a 996 boom???

C'mon, dude - its getting silly now.

I said that is one of the hoist drums, never said what it was for. The one ASISTING the boom lift WITH the cylinders is the grey box sitting on the boom of the crane

Last edited:

Cat 328d lcr

328, John's last name begins w/ a T.If it is the same guy,we worked together prior to him going to Weeks.In talking w/ John,the cable is used for lift support.He's been doing that for a while now.

The guy I knew just knew ALOT about the machine. I meet him at a model show. He's into dredgers and aqua diggers so I figured I would ask him- he would be the guy to know...

Martin

For fear of getting yelled at I will add my 2 bobs worth.If you look at the companys web site with the pics of the machine it does not have the cable on it.Well I reckon that they rig it on depending on where they are digging ,what they are digging and to what depth they are digging.It appears that this machine is digging to the maximum depth and every one knows that the main lift rams have to work their hardest when they are pushing from a fully retracted position .So I think that to save flogging the rams in this fast cycle loading from a max depth that the winch is set up (on this job)to help the machine to do the initial lift from the bottom so as just to make the machines life a little easy.When the rams reach a certain extension usually past the horizontal point then they can look after them selves .It is a mechanisim that they have set up to help the machine from working harder than it needs to .
on a different note.I actually have pics of a big Kato getting lifted out of Sydney Harbour not long ago after he dug deep with his big bucket on, stuck it out a bit before he cleared the water and then because the bucket was so full of wet dirt and concrete we over balanced and went swimming.You just dont know what you are picking out of the mud do you?

Last edited:

Cat 328d lcr

For fear of getting yelled at I will add my 2 bobs worth.If you look at the companys web site with the pics of the machine it does not have the cable on it.Well I reckon that they rig it on depending on where they are digging ,what they are digging and to what depth they are digging.It appears that this machine is digging to the maximum depth and every one knows that the main lift rams have to work their hardest when they are pushing from a fully retracted position .So I think that to save flogging the rams in this fast cycle loading from a max depth that the winch is set up (on this job)to help the machine to do the initial lift from the bottom so as just to make the machines life a little easy.When the rams reach a certain extension usually past the horizontal point then they can look after them selves .It is a mechanisim that they have set up to help the machine from working harder than it needs to .
on a different note.I actually have pics of a big Kato getting lifted out of Sydney Harbour not long ago after he dug deep with his big bucket on, stuck it out a bit before he cleared the water and then because the bucket was so full of wet dirt and concrete we over balanced and went swimming.You just dont know what you are picking out of the mud do you?

Where they took that pic is all rock. I know that because, they have to blast the rock under the water.

jimmyjack

I'll have THE reason for the cable tomorrow after work, i work with a guy that worked for GREAT LAKES .......

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
This was added by Great Lakes in order to increase our payload/productivity.

Sincerely,

Richard T. Smith

Mechanical Project Engineer

Plant and Equipment Department

Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company, LLC

2122 York Road

Oak Brook, IL 60523

(630) 574-2928

special tool

This was added by Great Lakes in order to increase our payload/productivity.

Sincerely,

Richard T. Smith

Mechanical Project Engineer

Plant and Equipment Department

Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company, LLC

2122 York Road

Oak Brook, IL 60523

(630) 574-2928

Well - that can be interpreted 2 ways, unfortunately.
He definitely DID NOT say breakout/lift - he said "payload", which leads me to believe that its equalibrium.
The term "payload" usually refers to dead weight (as in a rocket), not active force.
There is a chance that he refers to breakout, but its a small one.