• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My biggest PET PEAVE!!!

bigshow

I've been around the dirt scene since I was about 14, I've worked around some amazing ACE operators and I've worked around some HORRIBLE hands. I have always been passionate and proud of my trade, from the way I present myself to customers to my finished products. I had the luxury of one of the greatest operators I ever knew breaking me in and I am forever in his debt for passing on his knowledge and the lessons he taught me. One of his most important lessons he taught me was learned on the end of a shovel. We were backfilling a large hospital addition and he was running the hoe, I was laboring, running the jumping jack and shoveling. It was hot for these parts and I was hungover and he knew it, he also knew how much I loved to learn. So at coffee break he says I got a great lesson in store for you, I sarcastically said, oh great as I choked down some swill and we went back to work. Ol Joe started throwing buckets of gravel in the hole, set his bucket on the ground and kicked up his feet. I looked up and said W.T.F.?

Joe: Shovel that gravel around and hit it with the tamp, we ain't got all day!!
Me: Eff you, that things got a bucket!!!
Joe: Eff you, you got a shovel, I'm the boss, and I don't feel like grading it off for your lazy butt.

So I proceed to work like this the rest of the day, shovel and tamp while Joe sat in the hoe and watched, he would blatantly put it in big piles dropped from way up high so it packed it in as it landed and made shoveling harder. He would holler at me the whole time, telling me to hurry up and so on, all the while pissing me off to no end. We finished the day, I went home with my tale dragging wondering the whole time what this great lesson could be. I knew better than to come in hungover and he pretty much whipped me of that bad habit if it only happened once in a blue moon he didn't mind too much, I was a young, ambitious eager to learn kid, there wasn't too many floating around so I could kinda get away with little stuff like that. The next day rolls around, get my stuff around and head to the hole expecting to have to work my butt off again. First couple buckets come down nice and smooth, he reaches in, grades 'em off, wipes it smooth with heal leaving nothing but tamp work. Next lift, 'ol "Gomer Piles" is back, shovel shovel shovel!, next lift, Cool hand Luke, wipes her nice and smooth, back and forth all day, Gomer, Luke, Gomer, Luke. Finally I had enough, I snapped, threw my shovel and said What the Eff are you trying to teach me now? He says who would you rather labor under an operator that helps you, or an operator that hurts you?

It clicked right then and there, some day when I had a full time seat I knew that I would do everything in my power to make sure my laborers don't have to shovel. So after that long story, now you know my biggest pet PEAVE, USE THE MACHINERY TO ITS FULLEST POTENTIAL!!! DON'T MAKE A LABORER DO IT, WHEN IT IS SAFER, EASIER AND FASTER WITH MACHINERY, THAT'S WHAT IT IS FOR!!! I despise no talent, ignorant, lazy operators who would rather see a laborer shovel than to try and help them out. It's a lot easier to move a few little levers than it is to shovel. I have laborers that bring me all kinds of yummy treats nowadays because they appreciate my talents and efforts. I go out of my way to make sure my bucket is doing all the work, not their shovel. Not only is it easier for them, but at the end of the day, it's usually more productive too. Whenever an intricate, labor intensive project was to be done my superintendent sent me in, knowing the laborers wouldn't be abused and it would get done in a timely manner. They would thank me and I would just tell them to "thank Joe".

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Great post, bigshow... loved it...:thumbsup

OCR

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Nice story bigshow. I guess most of us have someone who made an impression one way or another.

Not to hi-jack your thread but I think I told the story on here somewhere about a young bloke apprenticed to an engineering/welding shop in a little country town. The one proviso stipulated and agreed to was that he had to cut his hair which hung down to his shoulders.

Didn't happen, didn't happen and he thought the boss must have forgotten . . . until the morning he got scruffed and had his hair cut off with a four pound hammer on the anvil.

It sure made an impression on him and he loves to tell the tale and reckons he owes a lot to his boss.

Cheers.

390eric

I started in the ditch with a shovel, and I always vowed to be the best operator i could be. Its a lot easier to pull those levers than kick a shovel in the ground. I try my damnest to make that happen, no matter how much the laborer pisses me off. But Dont tell me to dump that half bucket of gravel for pipe grade, then MFer me for dumping a bucket too much you have to shovel out. I hate that, I only do what y6u tell me. The only time I try to screw my laborers is when I am sitting there with a bucket of stone to bed the pipe and they are sending a text or nowhere to be found. They can shovel then, I have been then, your job is not that hard when you are there to direct me, but disappear and that shovel is your new best friend.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I have many but I will start with,

1.dozer operators NOT using the decel pedal

2.Mediocre hoe hands running a machine at WOT for light simple work or not smashing the return to idle button when setting

Pj

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Great story Bigshow.

390eric, I have the same situation here. On our crew the guy with the shovel is supposed to direct the hoe operator. Do a good job of directing and your job is easy. Do a poor job and you get to kill yourself. It works fairly well as the man on the shovel is well motivated to pay attention, and not screw up.

Pet Peaves?

Operators who fail to check fluids, warm up and cool down machines. Drives me nuts!!!

bigshow

PJ, I don't think you'd like me then, I'm not a big decel fan, I will in situations when it ups production, in certain situations more traction is obtained through a lighter foot.. I don't run a hoe at anything but W.O.T., I feel they have a better response when multifunctioning, that's just my opinion though. I feel more comfortable that way, whether it's swinging barrier or digging around one of those "Hit it and it's a $125,000 an hour penalty" fiber optic lines with 20 white hats all watching intently. Again, that's just me and how I want to do it, but then again, those white hats always shake my hand and want to buy me coffee or beer when it's all said and done.

I got over how other operators maintain their piece of iron a long time ago, I'm super meticulous about my maintenance and used to flip out about it. Now I don't waste my time, energy or breathe. Management sees something in that particular person and they are still around, so I pay no attention to them and worry about my particular task. Ol' Joe used to tell me "Don't clutter your mind with inconsequential information", basically what he was telling me was to mind my own Effing business and do what I needed to do, so long as it wasn't an unsafe act, let idiots be idiots. I hear guys all the time "what's so and so doing it that way for, I would do it this way or that way, and blah blah blah" Well maybe you are doing it wrong and that's why they are doing it and not you.

buckfever

Bigshow your teacher must have gone to the same school as my dad. I could sit here and probably remember a dozen stories that went just like the one you told. That's why I'm a firm believer in teaching from the bottom up.

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
Overloading loader and getting rear wheels in the air, spinning tires (especially with chains), not warming up with equipment. I agree with bigshow on wot,from graders ,hoes, to cranes they react better and are more predictable!

bigshow

Warming up the equipment- I "stretch" my equipment while the motor is warming it up. Cycle all the functions slowly at half throttle, pick up track and cycle the track, pick up tandems on grader with rear ripper and blade to warm up drivetrain, I pick up the tires on M318's and cycle the drivetrain on them also. Take care of the iron and it takes care of you.

Buckfever- My dad always said if you start at the top, there is only one way to go, if you start at the bottom, there is only one way to go. I'm totally with you on starting at the bottom.

buckfever

Grease or mud on the controls. How hard is it to was your hands off in a puddle or take five minuets with a rag to get the grease off your hands.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
bigshow said:
I don't run a hoe at anything but W.O.T., I feel they have a better response when multifunctioning, that's just my opinion though.
AKSNOW said:
I agree with bigshow on wot

That makes at least three of us now, they do have a better, and "finer" response... ;)

OCR

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Starting at the bottom with a shovel or a rake will teach you how to grade, that's the way I was taught and learned how to "see" grade.;)

One of my favorite saying is - " Laziness makes a great operator" - if they have been on the end of a shovel.

A good operator will figure out how to do a task with a machine instead of manual labor because he has been on the manual labor end. I think it is imperative that all operators should start at the bottom and work their way up.

It drives me crazy watching those "home improvement" shows where they are taking a concrete patio or drive out and have a skid steer there lifting the piece of concrete up and two people pounding away with sledgehammers to break it up.:pointhead

If the operator in the skid had any knowledge what so ever, he would know how to take that concrete out with the machine in manageable pieces but then again maybe it's just ******** TV.:rolleyes:

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
Cigarette butts and half empty cans of soda pop in the equipment or the cup holder in the truck....they always leave a stinky and sticky mess.

Fastdirt

Yes sir, bigshow I completely agree with you. My first boss was the same as far as me owing everything to him. Just think if some hack broke you into dirt. I worked with his nephews for years. At 19 running a chainsaw behind mad loaders doing several lots a day. It took all I had not to quit, but soon I was knocking the trees over too. Gotta sweat everything you have if you want to go all the way.

As far as the machine doing it all, that's the only way it should be. Good ground guys are great and the good ones never look up at you, they just attack it. That's when I have to pop the bucket, or beep and I want to do everything in my power to make their job as easy as me/machine possibly can. Like you said it makes everything better all around to do all you can. I think being an operator is one of the satisfying jobs in the world. Sure guys get hungover. It's understandable. I'm not to judge. You know when it's a problem.