• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My 763 was used hard. Now it needs some help

sierradmax

I inherited a 1998 bobcat 763 from my father. I remember the day it was purchased and from day 1, it was used hard. Currently, it has 3200 hours and until recently has not had a single problem. All we did was change the fluids and filters and she ran like a champ.

At this time, it's sitting in my garage now with a few problems.

1. it leaks hydraulic fluid like a champ
2. it smokes a little at startup
3. Belt tensioner for the pump snapped the pin retaining the spring. (called bobcat dealer and there's a 2-4 week back-order. THANKS BOBCAT!:Banghead)
4. I've gone through 3 fuel filters in 2 hours of operation. Rust deposits are appearing in the filter.

I'm prepared to do a major overhaul on the machine. It looks like it's been through hell and back so why not.

A. Pull motor and replace injectors
B. Remove fuel tank, clean, inspect and replace pick-up tube & fuel lines
C. Replace all hydraulic hoses and have the pump inspected
D. Meanwhile, remove the cab (repaint), bobtach (repaint), Boom (repaint) and repaint the body wile toping it off with some new stickers.

Question is, where can I get a repair manual and how long will a task like this take? Thanks.

jav

Sierra-

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing on an older 843 right up the road from you in Massachusetts. It takes time. My engine has been out for a month and I'm still chasing parts and trying to re-assemble but I'm doing a full rebuild on a Perkins 4-154 that everyone told me would be difficult and cost prohibitive to do.. but it fit's the best.

Mine has quite a bit of rust (was an island machind). Hydraulics seem good but I won't know for sure til I can run it (bought it not running). Replacing ALL the Hyd. hoses seems like a huge job. The repaint I guess depends on how far you want to go. In my case- I restore cars so I could go to town but it's going to be a yard machine so I intend to paint it so it looks clean and protects the structure... much if it will be done via brush. Clean paint and new graphics will do wonders for the looks. Manuals are available on ebay and their pretty good. I got both the parts manual and the repair manual. There's some gaps but well worth it.

My fuel tank is plastic- is yours steel? Any idea where the rust is coming from?
Who are you using for parts? I've not had great luck with the Seekonk boys but the Holbrook dealer has been good.
I wouldn't fret too much on the smoke at start- most deisels will smoke some when cold.

Last edited:

sierradmax

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if the ebay manuals would be good?

I came across this website. Not sure if it's worthy.
http://bc.manuals-website.com/cgi-bin/manuals.pl?gclid=CMuVtP-Nhp4CFSUMDQodHCfhow

I'm going to have the cab, boom, bobtach and rear door sandblasted before painting. That will leave the body for D/A use. I'll probably do a roll-on DTM paint then hit everything outside with a clearcoat.

We've always used JJ from east providence for parts. However, Bobcat is not quick to turn around on their parts. It's taken 2 weeks for a new belt tensioner for my machine and the dealer still doesn't know when it's due in.

sierradmax

DSCN0463.jpg

DSCN0465.jpg

Ralph

I had good luck with Rustoleum gloss white and black paint available at the hardware store using a inexpensive sprayer. Bought the orange from BobCat. That was good stuff and premixed for the sprayer. It really made the wheels and tail end look great. Worth extra cost.

Best part of the project is putting on the decals! It will look like a new machine after that step.

It makes it easier to paint if you yank the engine. Its great you know the history. I don't know if I'd tackle another non running one. Leaned a bunch, but also learned how much I don't know!

Have fun!!!!!

sierradmax

Well, I located and repaired the hydraulic leak. The smoke-up at startup is something I can live with until next winter. So far so good on no water in the fuel system. I think it may have been a bad batch of fuel. I drained the tank, refilled with fresh diesel and additive. Then replaced the fuel filter again.

I've also had the machine sandblasted. Currently sitting in primer. I purchased Bobcat Orange & Charcoal along with gloss white enamel from tractor supply. Here's an updated pic.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/sierradmax/bobcat/DSCN0624.jpg

TALLRICK

I am going to restore my old 843 as well. However, sandblasting is just too much work and cannot stop rust. My plan is to disassemble, use electrolysis, pressure clean and treat with phosphoric acid. My 763 still looks good but eventually I want to restore it too.

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Bobcat 863; Case CS150; Belarus 82; Claas
Nice thread, keep the pics coming, more i look at them, more i want to repaint my BC :)
Rick, are you sure you need to do it that way? as sandbasting takes off rusty pieces, and if anything left then primers with anticorosive additions like Skikkens Primer Surfacer EP should be sufficient.

TALLRICK

Nice thread, keep the pics coming, more i look at them, more i want to repaint my BC :)
Rick, are you sure you need to do it that way? as sandbasting takes off rusty pieces, and if anything left then primers with anticorosive additions like Skikkens Primer Surfacer EP should be sufficient.

I am far too cheap to buy fancy coatings, most likely I will use industrial enamel over a homemade primer. The hydraulic components I prefer to zinc plate. When sandblasting it is so hot here that I cannot bear to wear the protective gear. Deep pits caused by rust I either braze or weld to repair. Especially the protective structure is too detailed to sandblast without hours of frustrating work. My current compressor is too wimpy to use my sandblaster anyway.

Your Bobcat looks awesome already! Nothing like an older machine looking like when it was first delivered.

sierradmax

Finally all assembled. New decals, rear lights, new in-cab insulation, new seat. I threw the in-transit plate on it and drove it home (only 1 mile from where I work). I still have to mount the seat bar, re-install the front lights and install the cheap stereo I picked up.:D

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

DSCN0756.jpg

wilddanz71

Holy Crap MAN!! That thing looks awsome! Its going to be a shame to put the first scatch on her. How much money do you think you have into the paint and decals?

sierradmax

$1000 for sandblasting and etched primed
$40 gallon of Valspar tractor enamel
$40 (2 quarts) of bobcat paint. 1 orange and 1 charcoal
$800 +/- for new seat, rear insulation, rear lights bezels and all decals/treads

I would say I have just under $2000 into it from day 1 with all you see. All you don't see is new bushings, seals, etc which aren't too expensive but are worth every penny. Everything is tight for a 3300 hr. machine. It took me a couple months but I did everything myself besides the sandblasting and priming.