• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My 580B gets painted

VINNY580

Sorry Phil for not replying sooner been abit busy, i think as a newbee iam not aloud to put pictures on here yet. Saying that i am not that good on the old puter at the best of times,so i think i would need help with that later any way so for now i am enjoying looking and reading about everyone elses backhoes.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Sorry Phil for not replying sooner been abit busy, i think as a newbee iam not aloud to put pictures on here yet. Saying that i am not that good on the old puter at the best of times,so i think i would need help with that later any way so for now i am enjoying looking and reading about everyone elses backhoes.

You should be able to post pictures now. Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

crs36

Occupation
Machinist
Just bought a 580 SE and it could use some clean up and repaint. Thank's for the picture' they look fabulous!!

Rick Rowlands

I'm making my three obligatory replies so I can start a new thread and tell you all about my White Oliver! :)

That JCB is quite odd looking. I've not seen any backhoes that quite have that look. Excellent paint job though. I'm considering painting my machine but if I do it will be a 100 foot job (looks good when you see it from 100 feet away).

RFrank

Wow

That looks great. I see my 580b a little differently now.
This is my first post.

Jim

Nice Pics.

Anyone Knows How The Companies Name Their Machines? For Example, What Does "case 580m" Stands For?

Thanks

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Model families and improvements to that series are what change them to a "B" ,"C ","D", ETC. Capability such as lifting weight, lifting reach, digging depth are some things that come to mind.

Example: 480 case is smaller than a 580 case backhoe. The 580 should have more power and ability than the 480.

yasmar

Found this B last summer, lost in a field up north. Phil:)

This looks exactly like mine!! :eek:

except the other headlight is busted out on mine...and that one actually HAS a door. Mine has a stump where the door used to be ;)

turbotech

Is that old cat yellow or new cat yellow? I was thinking of trying to mix some new cat yellow (dark) with some orange and maybe some black to try and get the 580SE and 580K Case power tan.

I had my 580B painted. The colour is cat yellow mixed 20:1 with orange. The cab paint is flat and gloss black mixed 50/50. The 580B decal is #321-3138. The 5" loader decal is 321-3134 and 321-3135 and has been trimmed. The dipper decal is an updated # and so the font changed(ug). Phil:)

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
It's new Cat yellow that I was mixing with orange. The old Cat yellow is a beautiful colour though, much nicer than the Federal yellow Case used to use. Keep in mind that Cat paint will start to fade in the 3rd year and just keep getting paler and lighter, unless inside.

Never tried to mix up the power tan colour. Brown might be the additive colour.

Mixing colours does not really follow any logical path and it's tough to find anyone who knows what colour to add. My son finally found the info on the internet somewhere.

The brown that Case uses on their cabs can be mixed by adding red to any dark brown colour. We mixed a large batch of it, using recycled brown paint, of different shades, and lots of fire engine red. Used a piece of cardboard and just kept dobbing a sample on it until it matched that expensive Case paint. Phil:)

Last edited:

turbotech

I want to paint both a 580K and a 580D so I need to make power tan and power yellow, respectively. I figured I would get the new cat, orange, and black to make the power tan. I think the orange and new cat would be close for the power yellow. Maybe add some white to lighten it up.

The Case paint is way overpriced. I have used the Cat paint before and the new cat color and black color faded fast. I kind of expect that with syn. enamel. I am going to get acrylic enamel and add hardener. It lasts much longer and fades less. The acrylic enamel from a non-OEM manufacturer is much better and costs less in the long run.

Phil

Occupation
Good luck, let us know if you find a cheap source for yellow acrylic enamel. Cat paint doubled in price the last time I got it, to about $50 a US gallon. Phil:)

turbotech

I was going to use the Kirker acrylic enamel with hardener. I am going to try and mix the new Cat yellow and the omaha orange. Maybe add a little black to make the power tan color.
It looks like pivco is out of Cat Yellow though.

turbotech

Good luck, let us know if you find a cheap source for yellow acrylic enamel. Cat paint doubled in price the last time I got it, to about $50 a US gallon. Phil:)

The price for the Case Power Tan at the local dealer is $62 USD. It is about a 1hr one way drive for me to get it. I just don't like syn. enamel that fades in a few years. I have always had better luck with cheap acrylic enamel. Dupont Centari always worked the best for me but it is too expensive for painting something like this.

It came out to about $200 shipped for 3 gallons of new cat yellow, one gallon orange, hardener, reducer. That is more than enough paint for the machine. I have some black already just in case I need to darken it up a bit.

I used OEM Cat black years ago and it was very thin straight out of the can. It didn't seem to cover well. Maybe it has gotten better but I swore I would never use it again. Well, unless it was free maybe.

El Hombre,
Thank you for the link.

coues7

great thread. We just re-did our Case 580k and used the Cat yellow with orange mixed in. Unfortunately I don't know how much orange they used.

albtrossca

My 580B will not start

Sorry for posting this in you your Paint thread but I don't have rights to start new threads yet and I am looking for answers ASAP.

I am borrowing a 580B from a friend provided I rebuild a few hyd cylinders for him. With my luck it quit today and won't start.

Details are:

-Machine was warm and had been running for about 1/2 hour.
-I topped up the hyd fluid and went to raise the outriggers and it just quit as if I shut it off.
-will not start now.
-turns over great, good strong battery
-it is getting diesil, it smokes when it turns over stops smoking when I pull the stop knob.

I am an experienced mechanic on everything but diesils, but this confuses me. If it has fuel, compresses, and turns over it should run? I haven't checked compression but why would it go from running one minute to not the next?

Any Diesil expert help would be greatly appreciated. I heard Phil was a genious with diesils! :wink

Phil

Occupation
I'm not too far away. P.M. me with your phone # and I can drop over and see the machine. Phil:)