• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mustang 440 skidsteer V6?

bobdavis2010

Hi, I just picked up a Mustang 440 skidsteer. Has anyone seen a V6 in one before I find it odd that they put such a big motor in it does not run probably going to take the motor out. Any suggestions on something inexpensive to put back

Attachments

• Attachment.jpeg
    Attachment.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Attachment.jpeg
    Attachment.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Attachment.jpeg
    Attachment.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 31

Welder Dave

You probably only need 25 or 30 HP. Can probably find the HP spec. online. I wouldn't look for a 4-203 Perkins. They weren't very popular and parts could be hard to find. I'd look for a Kubota or Isuzu if you wanted diesel but first try and get an idea what shape the rest of the machine is in. I'd be a little worried if the hyd. pumps could be damaged from the V6 turning at a higher RPM than spec. A gas engine would need a governor. A Continental F162 or newer F163 out of a forklift or Lincoln welder could be an option. A little higher HP though. A welder engine should have a governor attached. There is a smaller Y112 engine that was in a Miller Big 20 but they aren't as common. Welder repair shops may be a source for a used engine.

bobdavis2010

I’ll look in to those. Hopefully it did not ruin the the pumps like you mentioned. I have to pick up the loader on Friday I will keep you all posted.

Welder Dave

Sometimes it's best to cut your losses. If you could find an engine cheap enough it's worth some experimenting.

bobdavis2010

Thanks Dave, I tried researching the motor info you originally sent I could not find anything on eBay however sometimes certain keywords brings different motors up. If you happen to see one online please send me the link so I can get an idea of The motor. Thanks

Welder Dave

I don't know if there's many engines on eBay. Could try looking under dismantled skid steers on Machinery Trader. You'd need to contact some repair shops if you're looking for an engine from a welder or other equipment. Could try googling 30-40 HP engines. There are some places that specialize in used and new engines. Maybe an engine out of a reefer trailer. Sorry, I just don't know where you might find a suitable engine. Maybe skid steer dealers might have dismantled machines with salvageable engines?

Old Doug

I can't remember what brand but I have seen at least 2 skid steers with the small Ford v6.

Welder Dave

Ford 4-98 4 cylinder's were somewhat common in skid steers. It's basically an industrial Pinto engine. Not a bad engine but hard to get parts for now.

bobdavis2010

Here are a few more pictures. I finally got it home.IMG_1953.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1949.jpeg
    IMG_1949.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23

bobdavis2010

I am going to try to start this motor just to see if the hydraulics work. I think that would be the smart thing to do first. I traveled two hours away to pick it up when originally I talked to him he said he had all the shields and the rear gate. after he loaded it with a crane, he said he doesn’t have the rear gate I was pretty upset, at that point I had no choice but to take it I already had money and traveling and my time so I ended up getting it. Does anyone have any ideas on making a rear gate or maybe have one for sale? Also need some of the shields

Welder Dave

You need the side shield for sure. Did you take $500 or so off the price because the seller lied he had the shields and rear gate? I would have told the guy to find them or walk away.