• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mulching with skidsteer

hugh

Wondering if anyone has experience with Fecon Bullhog,Lofness carbide or Magnum rotary mulchers? we are thinking of getting one to run on our s300 hiflow. I saw a Magnum on an ASV100, and was really impressed,even after the guy hit a piece of angle iron buried in a vine thicket. I live is Fla. and invasive plants and trees are eatin' the whole southern part of the state. Slowly people are becoming aware of what a problem they are.....guess they don't have em in NY or NJ thanks

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
we have run a fecon bullhog on a forestry skidder (not skidsteer) before. it worked great. we have now begun to look for one for an asv rc100. we have also begun to look for the rc100.:bouncegri but for real- theyre a great machine.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Mulching

we have run a fecon bullhog on a forestry skidder (not skidsteer) before. it worked great. we have now begun to look for one for an asv rc100. we have also begun to look for the rc100.:bouncegri but for real- theyre a great machine.

For what its worth, this is my research, may not work with everyone and everywhere. I live in eastern NC, there is alot of building in our area, so lots of Lots to clear, or at least prepare the lots so the owner can see what he has got. Lots of skidsteers Cat and ASV with Fecon heads, no forestry packages. They do a good job, not great, and boy the problems with the rubber tracks, running hot, getting stuck, walking 5 miles to get the chain hoist, fun HUH
This is the reason I bought a Fecon FTX90L, this is a great machine, steel tracks, winch, tripple grousers to help prevent land tearup. Forestry package (extra cooling, safety guards on everything,pressurized cabin (keeps the dirt out) This unit is made by Rayco, Fecon head
They are a few more bucks 2007 around $95,000, 2006 $88,000. Beware, make sure to get a warranty on the used one. The biggest problem with this unit is the Duetz engine, but the factory is replacing with Yanmar engines.
Hope this helps
For what its worth??????::)

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Willis Bushogin! :drinkup

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
Hey Willis welcome, what's the ststs on theat Yanmar, I haven't heard that they had stepped up an replaced the Duetz. Are the Fecon's blowin' at 1500-2000 hrs. The Rayco head runs on positive dispalcment, and really lugs the RPMs down. And we assoiciated the lugging with blowin' engines.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Duetz engines

Hey Willis welcome, what's the ststs on theat Yanmar, I haven't heard that they had stepped up an replaced the Duetz. Are the Fecon's blowin' at 1500-2000 hrs. The Rayco head runs on positive dispalcment, and really lugs the RPMs down. And we assoiciated the lugging with blowin' engines.

Im really not sure about what causes the problem, one thing from my dealer was that the unit I was questioning him about, had a new engine installed, I asked why and he said the original owner didnt want a extra cooler installed when he bought it, they traded it in on a Fecon 140, now that is a machine. Dealer put the extra cooler on the machine. Seems like the Yanmar has more torque, but a little less HP (82) vs 87. I am really sold on the Fecon/Rayco
machine. They have their problems, but it appears that they are trying to correct them.
I found a 2004 Rayco with a FAE head 400 hrs. Reason for selling is, his other business has grown where he doesnt have time to use it $58,000 no warranty, but was told it was in good condition. Located in N.C.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
GPS Skidsteer-Mulching

Thinking about getting into the right-a-way survey lines clearing. I know that trying to cut a straight line in woods is almost impossible, with some sort of reference points. I am a retired boat Captain and could see possibibly using one of the smaller Garmin units. Just wondered if this maybe an option, I know the trees mabe a problem, just was wondering if anyone had tried this and what other options is there, to cut a straight line, when you cant see the other end:Banghead

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Mulching for the State and Federal agencies info

I was told to get in contact with different state and federal agencies, to do mulching for them. Trying to find them on websites is almost impossible for me. Im in eastern NC so if anyone has any ideas from other areas, I would appreciate the advise. I have a Fecon FTX90L and would mainly be looking for thinning, trails, site improvement, etc. I am in the excavating business also, just looking for work for the new machine.
Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Noose

Occupation
We use Garmins in all our machines. I believe they are 145's . We put a plastic pressure formed dome on the cab to shelter the antanae. We generally get up to 5m accuracy. Which is more than enough most lines are required to have less than 200m LOS( Line Of Site). For wildlife protection.There is money to be made in Reciever lines but Source lines are better cut with bigger machines.
As for job links, check in with your forestry department. Here is a web link to a gov't program in Alberta. http://www.partnersinprotection.ab.ca/
Also any power line companies, oilfield, and your local real estate office's are a big customer.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
GPS Skidsteer-Mulching

We use Garmins in all our machines. I believe they are 145's . We put a plastic pressure formed dome on the cab to shelter the antanae. We generally get up to 5m accuracy. Which is more than enough most lines are required to have less than 200m LOS( Line Of Site). For wildlife protection.There is money to be made in Reciever lines but Source lines are better cut with bigger machines.
As for job links, check in with your forestry department. Here is a web link to a gov't program in Alberta. http://www.partnersinprotection.ab.ca/
Also any power line companies, oilfield, and your local real estate office's are a big customer.

Have you got a picture of the anntenna or where did you buy it, Im surpised that the GPS works in a wooded area, but Im happy it does.
Thanks for info

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
GPS Skidsteer-Mulching

Have you got a picture of the anntenna or where did you buy it, Im surpised that the GPS works in a wooded area, but Im happy it does.
Thanks for info
More info, I have searched for a 145 Garmin, I dont think Garmin made that unit. How do get your fix on the other end? Thanks

Noose

Occupation
Hey Willis, here is some pics for ya. THis is the only way I know to get them out there.
The 182C garmin is attached with a standard bracket on the right side of the cab corner below your gauges. I liked ours about half way down the pillar.
the bubble bolts to the front of the cab where all the holes are cut in we welded a 3/4" threaded pipe,run a antennae wire through and thread on the antanae. The poly domes I'm unsure of, If you can find a place that sells Mar-gaurd or plexiglass, they will know someone in your area.

Attachments

• DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 867
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 901

brusher

Occupation
Partner in company dealing in silviculture,ROW mai
Good day ,new member here thought Id add my nickle. We ran an ASV RC100 with ASV;s version of the fecon head(made by fecon lots cheaper up here in BC doesn;t have the red paint)Any way we were in to some very heavy willow, alder and cottonwood as well as conifers.The machine and cutter did a good job after operators got the hang of speed in various brush conditions and for the most part we are satisfied.However as all things do have faults I will share a couple.The carbide teeth do not like rock, they will break and cause rotor un balance(baaad)we also found that even at fairly low groud press,with heavy cutter in boggy ground it got stuck an had to be pulled out by hoe.Any way not trashing ASV just hope you take the toughts in to consideration.OH one other thing rubber track is great to travel roads xbridges but for wet ground nothing beats good old steel.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums brusher! :drinkup

Cat287B

Wondering if anyone has experience with Fecon Bullhog,Lofness carbide or Magnum rotary mulchers? we are thinking of getting one to run on our s300 hiflow. I saw a Magnum on an ASV100, and was really impressed,even after the guy hit a piece of angle iron buried in a vine thicket. I live is Fla. and invasive plants and trees are eatin' the whole southern part of the state. Slowly people are becoming aware of what a problem they are.....guess they don't have em in NY or NJ thanks

Hey Hugh,
Florida boy here too. If those plants include kudzu, grape vines and the worst tropical soda apple I would not use a mulcher. I'm afraid the mulcher would spread the apples like wild fire. I'd try a grubbing rake and burn the junk.
Alot of the vines have big ol potatoe like roots and they'll just keep coming back if you don't get them out of the ground. Also check with local ag extension office on the soda apples, few years ago they had some wild guidlines on they were to be removed. Hand gathered in double burlap bags and buried at least 6ft or burned at certified site. that was in mid 90's don't what it is now. Good luck.
Pete

Noose

Occupation
We've got Tansi up here, it's high up on the noxious weeds, not much one can do except pull it after loosing the graound and burn it. But we have no restrictions on mulching aside from, dormat/ gowth seasons in the oilfield(more as a guideline) and erosive slopes.
As for the steel tracks I agree. We did a job in the NWT and we were mulching in 6 ' of snow. Well more like mulching ON snow. We sent any machine with rubber tracks home. The Rayco's seemed (with a little practice) to ride and float while mulching.
Now I know that come spring once our packed trail melts there will be 2-3 ft stumps everywhere we cut. But enviromentalists like that because it grows back quicker.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Mulching vines

:Banghead
Hey Hugh,
Florida boy here too. If those plants include kudzu, grape vines and the worst tropical soda apple I would not use a mulcher. I'm afraid the mulcher would spread the apples like wild fire. I'd try a grubbing rake and burn the junk.
Alot of the vines have big ol potatoe like roots and they'll just keep coming back if you don't get them out of the ground. Also check with local ag extension office on the soda apples, few years ago they had some wild guidlines on they were to be removed. Hand gathered in double burlap bags and buried at least 6ft or burned at certified site. that was in mid 90's don't what it is now. Good luck.
Pete

This may not be the correct place to tell this story, but here goes. I have a Fecon FTX90L machine and I did a job today, that should have took me about 4 hours. Well 8 hrs later, I finished the job and I learned what westeria (I havent learned how to spell it yet) bushes/vines are. I have never done a job that vines, stop the head from turning, this happened about 20+ times and its not a easy job to remove the vines. They get caught up in end of the drum area. I had to get a wood chisel, pry bar, tree nippers (trimmers) and several times I got the skidsteer and hooked a chain to the vines and pull them out, lots of manual work today.
So note to any mulchers, learn what a westeria bush/vine is and bid accordingly, might help to learn how to spell it also. LOL

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
:Banghead

This may not be the correct place to tell this story, but here goes. I have a Fecon FTX90L machine and I did a job today, that should have took me about 4 hours. Well 8 hrs later, I finished the job and I learned what westeria (I havent learned how to spell it yet) bushes/vines are. I have never done a job that vines, stop the head from turning, this happened about 20+ times and its not a easy job to remove the vines. They get caught up in end of the drum area. I had to get a wood chisel, pry bar, tree nippers (trimmers) and several times I got the skidsteer and hooked a chain to the vines and pull them out, lots of manual work today.
So note to any mulchers, learn what a westeria bush/vine is and bid accordingly, might help to learn how to spell it also. LOL

Wisteria is some nasty stuff, along with Kudzu, if you've ever heard of that. I've never run a mulching head so I can't comment on their effectiveness in either of those 2 "weeds", but I have had good luck with a Bush Hog in both. Both are rotating attachments but I had no problems with either of the 2 binding up the Bush Hog on the 3 acres I cleared. If you have one available on a tractor, I would give that a try next time. If that worked better you might find it profitable to invest in one for your machine, if available.

By the way, if you get a Kudzu clearing job, try to make it into a yearly contract. You just can't kill that stuff, without a major undertaking, and you would have steady work for the rest of your life. I know I do at the Paw-in-laws place.:D

Last edited:

HeyUvaVT

our loftness timber ax fears no vine...it uses blades and not the hammers that the fecon does tho..thats the only reason...