• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MTL/CTL Maintenances and Costs

BIGBEN2004

I had a Gehl CTL80 (Takeuchi TL150) very nice machine, lots of power, but the tracks were gone in 1000 hours. The replacement tracks and sprockets were about $5000 with labor. So for this machine the track cost alone was $5 per hour.

I will not own a Compact track loader again until someone makes one with a steel undercarriage, and maybe rubber blocks on the track pads.

The rubber tracks seem to hold up quite well on the excavators, but when they are put on a machine that has to move to work, they just fall apart.

If you have a job where there is deep sand, or mud and you need the tracks, just make sure you have your rate high enough to pay for the tracks.

RT
This has allot to do with how the machine was run. When operating a track machine you can not run it the same as a wheeled machine. Their is a different way to run them to prolong track life. You can not just spend them in a 360 turn, even on dirt this is hard for the tracks. You need to do 3 pint turns when ever possible. When going into a pile of dirt you need to operate the bucket to fill it and not just ram the pile and sit their and spend the tracks in the dirt. If you respect the machine the tracks can last up to 2000 hrs. I have seen people destroy the tracks on a Cat 267 in less than 300 hrs. This is why rental company's don't rent the ASV or Cat MTL very often. Many rent out the Takeuchi's and Bobcats sense the tracks are built with steel on steel where ever contact points are.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
I own both cat and takeuchi machines. Last year cat had a recall on the undercarriages. I was told by my cat service manager that the job would have cost almost a $21,000.00 if it weren't a recall. parts and labor.

i have 3 287Bs left and 2 Tl150s. as soon as the cats reach the 3000hr mark they will be off my team. everything else i own is a cat but no more ctls

BIGBEN2004

I own both cat and takeuchi machines. Last year cat had a recall on the undercarriages. I was told by my cat service manager that the job would have cost almost a $21,000.00 if it weren't a recall. parts and labor.

i have 3 287Bs left and 2 Tl150s. as soon as the cats reach the 3000hr mark they will be off my team. everything else i own is a cat but no more ctls
What about the Takeuchi, do you like it? I own a TL130 and love it's power and control over the entire machine. The dealer told me the TL150 would be a horse compared to my little TL130 so I am wanting to give one a try one day to feel the power.

74inchShovel

ASV has come out with a complete package, that retails for 40% less than individual pieces bought seperately for undercarriages. The machine that will do 11 mph is a PT 60, but what would concern me is a much greater wear rate at those speeds. Who owns a Case CTL out there? Would welcome any feedback on these.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
I love the TL150. it is a beast. I have owned a bobcat t300 and a handfull of cat 287s. my personal opinion is they don't compare. the only things i will say negative about the takeuchi is the ride is hard and it does more damage to the ground than the cat. not really good to run over nice sod lawns.

BIGBEN2004

ASV has come out with a complete package, that retails for 40% less than individual pieces bought seperately for undercarriages. The machine that will do 11 mph is a PT 60, but what would concern me is a much greater wear rate at those speeds. Who owns a Case CTL out there? Would welcome any feedback on these.
I have not seen too many case CTL in my area. I think since they came out I have seen Two running and that was it. For some reason not too popular.

Digdeep

I wouldn't worry too much about the ground speed and the wear associated with it on the ASV machines. The undercarriage sprocket and track are entirely different than the other types of machines because they are designed for higher speeds. There is a guy near me to the south that has an SR80 that does 12.5mph and he already has almost 800 hours and his tracks and sprockets look fine. It is true about the packages that ASV is offering. I have a little over 1700 hours on my RC50 and the tracks are still original. I have replaced the rear idlers but if I buy the package that ASV sells for the RC50/60 (now the PT50/60) my operating cost at 2000 hours will be around $5 per hour. That is hard to beat. I sold Bobcats for 8 years and I can tell you with a straight face that none of the smaller framed Bobcats T180/190 could come close to that cost. I think the RC50 package retails for around $7400 and it includes the whole undercarriage already assembled except for the drive motor. You just attach it to the axles.

By the way I've always thought that the undercarriage costs of the ASV machines were blown out of proportion. I've neer seen an ASV machine that has needed a complete undercarriage change as many of the competitors suggest (even Bobcat when I sold for them) I sold against them for a long time, won deals and lost deals and the things that Bobcat put out against them didn't really materialize in the field. Because of that I ultimately ended up buying an RC50 even though I still own a bobcat skid. I always thought it was a matter of dealers changing out components that were still good especially CAT dealers that started to drive the perception that the ASV machines were so much more expensive to operate than the rigid style of undercarriage. These ae my opinions based on my experience selling over 200 bobcat tracked machines in the upper midwest where they are quite popular.

Last edited:

928G Boy

I always thought it was a matter of dealers changing out components that were still good especially CAT dealers that started to drive the perception that the ASV machines were so much more expensive to operate than the rigid style of undercarriage.

I'm assuming you must have meant bobcat dealers? I'm just a little confused by that comment since ASV and CAT have the exact same track designs.

Digdeep

I'm assuming you must have meant bobcat dealers? I'm just a little confused by that comment since ASV and CAT have the exact same track designs.

My opinion is based on the fact that it always seemed that the ASV dealers knew more about their machines when I sold against them (especially explaining the differences in their uc to the rigid uc that Bobcat has) compared to the CAT dealers It was more difficult to sell against ASV than CAT head to head. Against CAT I usually just had to beat them on price or finance. My opinion was also that since most ASV dealers were small their service deptartments were more focused on the in ands outs of the uc and the local CAT dealer had their general mechanics working on their compact equipment. I'm not saying that CAT mechanics aren't good because I know they are but its much easier to focus on a small lineup of equipment than it is if you work on everything from a 216 skid to a D11. I'm definitely not bashing CAT but only offering my opinions based on my experiences in my old sales territory.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
The cost is the same for me after 2000 hours versus my T190, both machines would need over $6000 in repairs and replacement, the only difference is my Cat will be cheaper as I can replace individual parts like roller sleeves and rollers with out wearing other parts down faster.
If you had to replace a pair of sprockets on a CTL, the tracks would wear even faster to the point you would have to replace it at the same time, whereas CAT/ASV MTL's if roller sleeves from the "squirrel cage" have to be replaced, no big deal, it won't wear anything out any more faster than normal operating conditions.

BIGBEN2004

The cost is the same for me after 2000 hours versus my T190, both machines would need over $6000 in repairs and replacement, the only difference is my Cat will be cheaper as I can replace individual parts like roller sleeves and rollers with out wearing other parts down faster.
If you had to replace a pair of sprockets on a CTL, the tracks would wear even faster to the point you would have to replace it at the same time, whereas CAT/ASV MTL's if roller sleeves from the "squirrel cage" have to be replaced, no big deal, it won't wear anything out any more faster than normal operating conditions.
Just make sure when it comes time to replace the rollers try to replace all at the same time. We used to replace a couple at a time on the 267 were I used to work and then it seemed to wear out the new ones twice as fast. Also we had problems with bearings going out in them and should have replaced all the bearings at once but the owner had us do them as they failed. This ultimately meant that after one was replaced another on the same side would fail in the next 20 Hrs. which meant pulling off the same track again on the same side......:Banghead You see the point. I say when they wear out just replace all of them and be trouble free. In the end you will have to replace those rollers anyways so why not do it while it is in the shop all tore down where you can get to the others easy.:drinkup

BAREIN

I was looking at the Case CTL'S before I bought the Takeuchi, I demoed one and was impressed with the performance, then I started asking around and herd to many horror story's for the amount of time that they have been out. A freind works at the Case dealer and confirmed that there has been alot of recall's, started stoping by jobsites and asking people who were running them and herd more bad stuff. Then I was talking to a diffrent dealer and he said that he would not take a Case CTL in on trade or a New Holland. In the end I bought the Takeuchi, More people recomended the Tak/Gehl/Mustang than any other brand, plus they had a better warranty and the price was cheaper than the competition.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was looking at the Case CTL'S before I bought the Takeuchi, I demoed one and was impressed with the performance, then I started asking around and herd to many horror story's for the amount of time that they have been out. A freind works at the Case dealer and confirmed that there has been alot of recall's, started stoping by jobsites and asking people who were running them and herd more bad stuff. Then I was talking to a diffrent dealer and he said that he would not take a Case CTL in on trade or a New Holland. In the end I bought the Takeuchi, More people recomended the Tak/Gehl/Mustang than any other brand, plus they had a better warranty and the price was cheaper than the competition.

What problems did you hear of specifically. The CASE ctls have been selling well up here. All of them have been 440 CTs. I have run them and they are without equal performance wise.

BIGBEN2004

Put a Takeuchi TL140 up against that 440CT and it will blow it away. Even the smaller TL130 could give it a good challenge. Has anyone heard of any Final Drive issues with the Case? That is a known problem for first time machines new to the CTL market like Case is now.

BAREIN

Ksss, first of I want to say that I am a Case fan, We own a Case loader and have had a Case skidder in the past, I just don't want to get in a brand fight. A good freind of mine is a Case tech and has gone to Racine and went through Skid steer classes there, So I demoed a 440 and a 450 and really liked them, my only complaint was the narrow cab and I did not like how the front end floated on the 440 in the mud with a bucket full. I was pretty sure I was going to be the proud owner of a new Case especially having a freind that should know the machines. Then I got talking to others and herd about driveline problems, Went and talked to another guy and his had welds cracking on the booms, then my buddy said there were a few in the shop with bad motors. I just did not feal comfortable about buying a machine that I wanted to be keeping for a few years after hearing the problems I have heard. I do not like how Case is always changing there machines like they have the last ten years, I liked the Tak because it's proven and unchanged for the most part. I hated going Japanese but it seamed like the only way to go. The Tak was cheaper in price and had a better warranty, I will be buying a new wheeled skidder this year and I don't know what I want but I will be looking at a Case for sure.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Ksss, first of I want to say that I am a Case fan, We own a Case loader and have had a Case skidder in the past, I just don't want to get in a brand fight. A good freind of mine is a Case tech and has gone to Racine and went through Skid steer classes there, So I demoed a 440 and a 450 and really liked them, my only complaint was the narrow cab and I did not like how the front end floated on the 440 in the mud with a bucket full. I was pretty sure I was going to be the proud owner of a new Case especially having a freind that should know the machines. Then I got talking to others and herd about driveline problems, Went and talked to another guy and his had welds cracking on the booms, then my buddy said there were a few in the shop with bad motors. I just did not feal comfortable about buying a machine that I wanted to be keeping for a few years after hearing the problems I have heard. I do not like how Case is always changing there machines like they have the last ten years, I liked the Tak because it's proven and unchanged for the most part. I hated going Japanese but it seamed like the only way to go. The Tak was cheaper in price and had a better warranty, I will be buying a new wheeled skidder this year and I don't know what I want but I will be looking at a Case for sure.

No I am not looking for a brand war, I was honestly curious what issues you have heard of. I am a TK guy as well. I was part of the testing of the 440CT and the prototype machine overwhelmed everything else that we ran it against (TK140, CAT277B, BCT250). When I say that I am refering to excavating ability, other machines shined in other areas. That machine has been a barn burner here, incredible power in a smaller machine. The narrow cab is an issue that will not be going away anytime soon. It does not bother me as much but I wish it was wider. CASE has not changed enough in some areas in my mind. I have owned over 16 CASE machines since 1995. The cabs are finally getting the attention that they have needed for years. The series 3 machines are addressing some of the issues I have in general. Mostly the cabs are what I have issue with. We work these machines real hard in some very demanding places and I don't think any makes a machine more durable then CASE (at least in the models that I buy). I have never owned a CT or any tracked machine. I just bought a set of VTS tracks and plan on going that way instead of the dedicated tracks for now anyway.

The guy that had a boom crack was that on a 445? The loader arms on the 445 and 445CT are going back to the 95XT/465 like they used to be. This change has been made on the series 3 machines.

TK makes a durable track loader no doubt about it.

BIGBEN2004

The design on the 445CT looks the same as the 95XT/465 but way smaller. The arms are very small almost too small in my opinion to be on a track machine which will be put in high demanding areas for work. If they are cracking then hopefully they will beef them up some. I am sure Case will address this issue since they would not want a reputation for cracking booms.

BAREIN

I did think that it was cool that they gave the 440 as much power as the 450 makes for a stout machine. I am pretty sure the guy with the weld cracks had a 440. He is a owner operator that does flatwork seams like a guy that takes care of his stuff and does not abuse, but tearing out concrete can be hard on machine's. could have been a lemon, any company can have them.
Ksss have you ever ran a 420 wheeled mavhine? that is the size I will be looking for later this year, wondering if it is like the 60xt wich I did not like, I thought it was to tippy and jerky like small Bobcat's. Wondering if the 420 is worth looking at. I kind of thought Case went backwards on there smaller machine's from the 1845's. I will be using it to clean roads and snow removal, and other work that track machine's are not good for.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I did think that it was cool that they gave the 440 as much power as the 450 makes for a stout machine. I am pretty sure the guy with the weld cracks had a 440. He is a owner operator that does flatwork seams like a guy that takes care of his stuff and does not abuse, but tearing out concrete can be hard on machine's. could have been a lemon, any company can have them.
Ksss have you ever ran a 420 wheeled mavhine? that is the size I will be looking for later this year, wondering if it is like the 60xt wich I did not like, I thought it was to tippy and jerky like small Bobcat's. Wondering if the 420 is worth looking at. I kind of thought Case went backwards on there smaller machine's from the 1845's. I will be using it to clean roads and snow removal, and other work that track machine's are not good for.

I have never run a 420. I spoke with CASE a couple weeks ago and was told that that machine has been dramatically improved. The specs as it sits right now is basicly an 1845C. I have not seen the specs of the Series 3 machine just was told that it has been made a better machine. Did CASE stand behind the loader arms? I would hope so.