• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moving water

Delmer

Yes, nearly any cheap plastic sump pump without a check valve will work to prime a line that rises less than ten feet. They're just a centrifugal pump that water will flow through either direction without any resistance at lower volumes. Don't put the outlet too deep underwater in the trap though, that height will add to the pressure to start the siphon.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
@old-iron-habit You saying that if I dug a trench 600 ft long, with my backhoe, for this guy I should be charging more than 7 grand?

You would not get a 600 ft. ditch properly sloped and finished at that depth for $7,000 here. I assume that you will be doing a lot more than simply dig a bucket width trench if it is to be a daylight drain. Now you may be able to glue up a plastic pipe or two and lay them in from the surface, backfill it, and have it drain thru the pipe for that money. That may be the best option for him. All gravity, safe, clean and out of sight.

Last edited:

aighead

Hmm... That's interesting and I'm apparently way off on what I would think to charge for things. I dug, essentially, the same kind of trench about 4-5 feet deep, but about 250 feet instead of 600, at my buddy's house. It took about 2 days of decent work. He paid me around a thousand bucks, if I recall, and I felt like he was giving too much.

20200605_191544.jpg

AzIron

A trench is one thing but a drain ditch that will stay open has to be sloped back at 1.5 to 1 slope or 45 degree angle meaning for every foot of elevation you go out 18 inches doing that at 600 ft 10 ft deep would take a week with a backhoe at best so if I gave a hard number 7 grand would be the cheapest I would think about closer to 10

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Hmm... That's interesting and I'm apparently way off on what I would think to charge for things. I dug, essentially, the same kind of trench about 4-5 feet deep, but about 250 feet instead of 600, at my buddy's house. It took about 2 days of decent work. He paid me around a thousand bucks, if I recall, and I felt like he was giving too much.

View attachment 236230
So if you put in a 10 hour day for 2 days, 50 bucks an hour is pretty cheap for a back hoe. At least around here. I guess if you use the FBI rate.

aighead

@skyking1 I didn't understand what 1.5 meant. Similar to like 3:1 for a pond edge? 3 feet out for 1 foot down...

Running that out so it is a legit swale (again assuming I understand what that means) is there and can be there for years is pretty much a PITA.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
State of MO DNR has legislated rules as to diversion of water or release of waters across property boundaries, not allowed unless a Known drainage route(Creek) and if from an impoundment(Pond/Lake) gets seriously stupid on wording but does not allow for swamping a neighbors ground just because wanted a retention basin where you put it. I would really consider researching the rules on this through PROPER channels before making a mess that may or may not be legal.

aighead

Thanks DMiller, I'll advise him of such. It really does sound like it's not uncommon for there to be some rules against the neighbor's pond draining across several yards.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Definitely messing with protected waters with what you are doing... Over there at Possum Creek Metro Park is protected water of the sorts, which I surmise Opossum creek feeds into from the elevation map I posted in previous post.Screenshot_2021-03-25 U S Geological Survey Map Viewer.png

aighead

Holy sh!t @Spud_Monkey ! Where'd those first maps come from? I love the one with the landowners names!

While, yes, I agree that we are messing with Possum Creek stuff, I'd be very surprised to hear that anyone in the township would care, especially considering the amount of water that's being discussed here. I am going to discuss the legalities with N, just so he's informed of his potential options. I'm also pretty sure that anything that doesn't soak into the ground makes it's way to that creek anyway.

I'm, by no means, discounting all you guys are saying about the legal aspects of doing any of this junk and I appreciate your input and suggestions.

I think if no one is concerned about the run-off, through my yard, of the clear-cut 30 acre section across the street from me, they won't worry about a trickle from this guys pond.

runoff.png

Not to mention I doubt (but I'm not positive) that N's across the street neighbor got/needed a permit when he built a decent sized pond to help the soup his yard became.

ponds.png

Thanks also for the Slope Diagram!

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I can see my house from here!

So, @Spud_Monkey , are the first set of map pictures, with landowner names proprietary or is that something I can find?
Yes you can...
www.gaiagps.com
or
https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt/app
or
https://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/Services.../OhioSpatialDataInfrastructure-Downloads.aspx
Just don't trust the first two to be 100% accurate on owners the as you can see from where I live at by the house icon that I own that one and am paying on the second one to the south as they were owned by the same company. Hopefully take the property to the north soon. Look to the left those are 600 plus acre BLM land tracts I can play on along with many others around the area.Screenshot_2021-03-26 Topo Maps, Trail Maps, and Satellite Imagery(3).png