• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

moving excavator with stuffed travel motor

crowey

Looking for a little info and knowledge from the brains trust here. The hydraulic drive on my old Kato HD1220se has died. i pulled the cover off after it stopped working and sprung a big leak, i assumed it was just the leak that had caused it to stop moving but when the cover was removed there was brass and chrome looking metal everywhere:eek::eek:.,
My issue, besides the price of a replacement:(, is the positioning of the excavator to carry out the change out.
Its not in a good or safe place to be doing the work. Is it possible for me to pull the reduction gears out of the final drive , seal the box back up so the sprocket is basically free wheeling and then use one track and the bucket / boom to drive / pull the excavator into a better position ??

cheers
crowey

rocknrabbit

I don't think that would be a problem. If you take out the cluster group gears you will have to time them on reassembly. It might be better to take out the centre sun drive gear. Where in SA are you, I know where there are a few wrecks, you may get what you need. Is yours possibly a HD1220SEII?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If you can get to the bolts that hold the sprocket, remove them. Then when you move it the sprocket will slip on the hub and as long as you don't do any split azz turns and take it steady it will get you need to go. If you don't use this method you risk damaging some very expensive bearings and seals that maybe still ok. I have done this with my own machine and had to drag it for well over a mile.

crowey

I don't think that would be a problem. If you take out the cluster group gears you will have to time them on reassembly. It might be better to take out the centre sun drive gear. Where in SA are you, I know where there are a few wrecks, you may get what you need. Is yours possibly a HD1220SEII?

Thanks for the Info rocknrabbit. Im in Andamooka SA about 600 ks north of Adelaide . But willing to travel to get bits and pieces if required. So any info on wrecks would be much appreciated havent had much luck in finding any myself. It is not a SEII as far as i know .

crowey

If you can get to the bolts that hold the sprocket, remove them. Then when you move it the sprocket will slip on the hub and as long as you don't do any split azz turns and take it steady it will get you need to go. If you don't use this method you risk damaging some very expensive bearings and seals that maybe still ok. I have done this with my own machine and had to drag it for well over a mile.
Thanks for the info Tones, much appreciated.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Crowey, theres an outfit on the Sunshine coast called Travel Motors Direct. They may have all the parts you may require including stuff for the motor if you don't have any luck with wreckers.

antpoo

I know. It's. A bit late. But for future people the answer is yes.

Take off the cover, remove the reduction gears but most importantly the sungear. It just slips out and when you put cover back on you will be free wheeling and good to travel on one track, so long as the ground is reasonably level.

Hills require boom operating skills. I just completed a full house demo on one track.

Word of warning though, there will be no brakes, so machine can lose control on uneven surfaces. I found out the hard way when my 25 tonne machine went slipping down and sideways off the low loader ramp.