• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moving a non running TD20E

jezow2010

I am looking at buying a TD20E that is currently non running. I think riggers will pick and load the machine onto a lowboy then I will be responsible for unloading.

It's at a pretty tightly restricted facility so I cannot try to start it or really work on it or even grab pictures to post here. I fear though that unless I have a plan we will fail and or the dozer will be damaged. Essentially, if I need to do something to get it loaded and unloaded, I better know exactly what I am doing.

Looks like it will not just tow, needs either grease in the tow ports or some shaft removed in the final?

Thanks!

Welder Dave

It should tow if it doesn't have a parking brake incorporated into the transmission. If it is a mechanical brake that is manually applied and released it would tow as long as you have something big enough to tow it. If you have to tow down any kind of a slope you'd have to be really careful because it will freewheel and could overtake the tow vehicle. On a slope it's best to have a second machine with good brakes behind it to slow it down if if starts to freewheel. You'll need something to lift the blade up so you can chain it up off the ground.

jezow2010

It should tow if it doesn't have a parking brake incorporated into the transmission. If it is a mechanical brake that is manually applied and released it would tow as long as you have something big enough to tow it. If you have to tow down any kind of a slope you'd have to be really careful because it will freewheel and could overtake the tow vehicle. On a slope it's best to have a second machine with good brakes behind it to slow it down if if starts to freewheel. You'll need something to lift the blade up so you can chain it up off the ground.
I was reading that these have a spring applied brake hydraulic release as somewhat of a fail safe in case you are on a slope and it stalls. There’s one thread out there on the red power forum. Any experience with this?

Welder Dave

No but in that case there's probably a procedure to release the brake. Maybe have to use a small manual hyd. pump.

Welder Dave

That sounds about right. I wasn't sure if you used a grease gun or a porta-power pump. Either may work.

shopguy

You can also pull the axles,they are behind the round covers in the main frame just in front of the sprockets at the top

jezow2010

You can also pull the axles,they are behind the round covers in the main frame just in front of the sprockets at the top
Any more insight on how to do that? Assuming oil would leak everywhere unless I drain the finals?

Also, does anyone know what threads those ports are? I need to get supplies.

Welder Dave

I think it uses a DT466 which there are thousands off and apparently not overly expensive to rebuild. Definitely worth looking into.

jezow2010

Oh I think it runs… I hope at least. Was parked as part of a grounds crew outsource move at a large facility. Basically they outsourced the work and the machines all just sat.

The security was weird and it was being disposed of as scrap so the deal was I could look but could not bring batteries and try and fire her. Allegedly it ran when parked though. We will try and start it in a few days.