• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moving a non-running skid

paulinkansas

This is a John Deere 90 skid steer. Fairly small, weighs about 3500 lbs, 23 horse engine, built in the 1980's. It's sitting in a valley about 300 yards from my house/workshop. Engine won't start. No compression in one cylinder. I changed the valve seat in that cylinder about 10 running hours ago, but it didn't last.

I've ordered a new replacement engine for it. I'd like to change the engine where all my tools, jacks, etc are on solid ground instead of trying to change it out in a grassy field.

Any idea on how to move the skid? I have two farm type tractors that can be used to tow/drag the skid if it was sitting on some sort of platform.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
If its pretty small and you have something to pull it with I would pull it up on an old truck hood or build a skid out of some ply wood and just pull it to the shop. Should be easy enough.
I would be careful pulling it up on a trailer. I had to pull mine up a pool damn one time and it nearly flipped over backwards when a little slack got in the chain.

Foozzer

You could always build a dolly for each wheel or just two dollies in tandem like furniture movers but tuffer then tow it on sheets of plywood,,just a thought

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
$75 to the local wrecker with a roll back gets that done here

Delmer

If you can tow it over loose dirt, sand, or gravel the whole way it will be fine. Put the bucket down and hitch it with short chains high on the tractor so there's less weight on the wheels, sliding backwards the tractor pulling up on the chains and the bucket dragging. Will the starter cranking the engine over let you put the bucket as low as it will go?

Last edited:

maddog

not sure of that exact model but many SS'es have a relief valve somewhere that is just for the purpose of pulling them when dead. If not then I'd follow JS300 idea.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I wouldn't bother getting too cute or expending a load of effort to move something 300 yards or so that only weighs 3500 pounds. Hitch a chain to the back end of it somewhere, get it on the 3-point hitch on the back of the tractor and take some weight upwards and just drag the fcuker ........

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I wouldn't bother getting too cute or expending a load of effort to move something 300 yards or so that only weighs 3500 pounds. Hitch a chain to the back end of it somewhere, get it on the 3-point hitch on the back of the tractor and take some weight upwards and just drag the fcuker ........

Yes, if it has a brake, set it so you don't turn the wheels.

Couple of the times I have gotten mine stuck (of several times) and no one was around to drive the tractor, I just made sure the brake
was set, and yanked it out, wheels not turning.

It is a harder pull, but I was not sure on how else to do it safely.

Last edited:

Todd v.

Jack it up and slide something under it that will help it slide across the ground. Skis for the wheels or a couple sheets of plywood should do it it's only 3500#. They can dig in pretty good if you just try to drag it but might be worth a try before going through a bunch of trouble.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I'm gonna guess my skid weighs in at close to 10k with the attachment that was on it when it was stuck in the pool. I drug it out of the mud and up the pool dam with the tires locked. I had a 100 hp 4x4 tractor but was really suprised at how easy it pulled. I don't know who was more scared about it flipping into the pool me or the kid driving it when I pulled it out. He kept locking the brakes so I thought heck with it and just pulled it out with brakes locked.
The idea of a cab skid flipping into the pool with that boy in it still scares me. Pretty sure he won't be fooling around by any pools again.
Just pull it to shop should be easy.

maddog

Jack it up and slide something under it that will help it slide across the ground. Skis for the wheels or a couple sheets of plywood should do it it's only 3500#. They can dig in pretty good if you just try to drag it but might be worth a try before going through a bunch of trouble.

I agree, you might be able to pull it without an issue. BUT if you have an issue while just pulling it, it "might" just cost some $$$$$$.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
losen and slide drive motors out of spline no engagement ease pull