• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

moveing a tower crane

cat320

Charter Member
I was just in Vegas and they had several of them up and working.These are the cranes that sit atop of the building on a square base from the ground .My question is how to they get it up and then back down and dismounted? I have never seen this done ,reason being that they are up so high.

Occupation
Self employed Heavy-hauler , Heavy machinery mover
whirley birds

I was just in Vegas and they had several of them up and working.These are the cranes that sit atop of the building on a square base from the ground .My question is how to they get it up and then back down and dismounted? I have never seen this done ,reason being that they are up so high.

The towers are " jacked " up and down with jacking system. The base section is normally embedded in many yards of concrete. This is an anchor as well as a solid foundation for raising and lowering. Actaually, the crane ( top bridge , cab, etc. )is assembled a few feet off the ground then the raising begins with the system. Jack it up 10 feet ,add a section of tower. Jack and add. Reverse for coming down. It's a quick operation with an experienced crew .

:usa

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
The towers are " jacked " up and down with jacking system. The base section is normally embedded in many yards of concrete. This is an anchor as well as a solid foundation for raising and lowering. Actaually, the crane ( top bridge , cab, etc. )is assembled a few feet off the ground then the raising begins with the system. Jack it up 10 feet ,add a section of tower. Jack and add. Reverse for coming down. It's a quick operation with an experienced crew .

:usa
Great video of a crane being jacked or "climbing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5Qt7_ECEE&feature=related

Bluwenis

Most tower cranes can be put up with a large all-terrian crane, such as Grove's GMK7550, a 550 ton with 420 of boom, to free-standing height, usually 300ft or a little less. Any taller than that and they need to be supported by the structure it is building. Once the building catches up to the cranes height, than the crane jacks itself and adds twenty ft sections at a time. The reverse happens on the way down, although many times the finished structure gets in the way and creative ideas are needed. I've taken a tower down with another crane on top of the finished structure.

Bluwenis

The turntable and jib were simply not bolted to the climbing unit. The section on the hook is used to perfectly balance the crane when the y jack it. You bolt and unbolt the crane after each section. When he went to boom up and bring the next section in it simply tipped over backwards cleanly. Look mo, no net.

Colin Doy

It just seems to me that no matter what goes on in the world today there is a man and camera just waiting to snap things that go wrong:beatsme

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Bluwenis! :drinkup

terryk4675

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler
Sorry guys, I know this thread was about tower cranes, but another of our drivers who does a lot of crane moves with me sent me this......

Attachments

• wow.jpg
    wow.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,657