• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Morooka mst 500 final drive fluid change & other parts

9599svt

I recently just bought a morooka/komatsu mst-500. I am going to change all the fluids in it and am confused on what the fluid level should be in the final drives. I did get a service manual for it, but it doesn't give any information on the fluid level or even the type of fluid needed. I assume 80w90 would be an appropriate type? When I look at a slightly lower serial number one the plugs are all in a line like most other equipment were the fluid level would be about half way up. On mine and another unit with a slightly higher serial number the plugs are in a triangle which would mean if you put the one plug on the bottom the other two plugs are probably about 80% of the way up. It just seems like it would be a lot more fluid than most other drives and not leave a lot of room for expansion. They obviously changed it so it has more fluid in it but with the limited information out there about these machines, I just want to be sure that they didn't run into problems by having too much fluid in it. Also does anyone know what my best options are for getting new oil, hydraulic, and air filters are? Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well get them all out at once, were can I get some new keys made for the ignition and fuel cap ? My local hardware store didn't have a similar blank. For someone like me who is just a pipefitter with some equipment for toys this site sure is a blessing. I wish everyone who had problems and got help from the knowledgeable people on this site, would take the time for everyone else's sake, to post the final outcome of there problem. Thank You
morooka drive.jpg
morooka drive2.jpg

mikebramel

Im guessing you can put one in the lowest position to drain, then when you refill take what would be the two top ones out, and the second one not being used would prevent it from burping?

9599svt

Im guessing you can put one in the lowest position to drain, then when you refill take what would be the two top ones out, and the second one not being used would prevent it from burping?
I'm sure that is what they figured, but want to be sure they didn't run into problems and change back to only having the drives half full.

9599svt

You need to talk to these guys.........tell them HEF sent you.
http://www.lantraxco.com/
I am not a fan of the 500 for one reason, that is there are literally no parts available for the pumps or drives, so be nice to them and they should last you a long time hopefully. Other than that they're a tough handy little machine and they rarely break down.

80w90 is fine for the finals, we use CAT TDTO 50 because we like it, basically any good grade of gear oil suitable for whatever your normal temperature range is. Half full is the rule, that's what I would recommend.

Here's what I show for filters in Baldwin, you can cross to whatever you can get locally:

Oil LF3415

Fuel FF5081

Air PA1681FN

Hydraulic BT8418

If the hydraulic is not a spin on filter but instead a canister type let me know, you can never put a period after anything with Morooka.

The ignition switch if it has not been changed will take a Komatsu 787 key, you can get them from any Kommie dealer, or I would be happy to mail you some. The fuel cap is a real oddball, don't think we ever found a good replacement blank. You might try Dominion Equipment parts which is the Morooka distrubutor, they may be able so supply spare keys for the fuel cap. Or just leave it unlocked, as I recall that was an option.

Ask away, if I can help I'm always happy to, though I do get stumped now and then.

Regards,

Don Lanway

Lanway Tractor Company

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Don hasn't posted here in a while, but he is/was always the go-to guy on Morooka equipment.

I'll second his comment regarding TDTO SAE 50 to replace the EP 80W/90. EP oils are 19th Century technology as far as I'm concerned. TDTO (aka TO-4) gives us far better oil analysis results in every compartment where I've seen it used to replace an EP oil. NOTE: Don't get confused with the apparent viscosity difference, the two oils are measured on different scales. TDTO SAE 50 is actually a tad heavier in viscosity compared to an 80W/90 EP gear oil.

9599svt

Don hasn't posted here in a while, but he is/was always the go-to guy on Morooka equipment.

I'll second his comment regarding TDTO SAE 50 to replace the EP 80W/90. EP oils are 19th Century technology as far as I'm concerned. TDTO (aka TO-4) gives us far better oil analysis results in every compartment where I've seen it used to replace an EP oil. NOTE: Don't get confused with the apparent viscosity difference, the two oils are measured on different scales. TDTO SAE 50 is actually a tad heavier in viscosity compared to an 80W/90 EP gear oil.
I seen others had mentioned that he hasn't posted here in a while also. In my message to him I sold him that the members hoped all is well with him. Thank you for the info on the oil. The last thing I want to do is put anything but the best into a drive that replacement parts are hard to come by. Use the best possible oil and change it often.