• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More rusties around Klamath Falls

Diane Marie

Occupation
Retired counselor, now running around taking photo
Gonna guess late forties, early fifties Federal, may be ex military or not. The front bumper kinda looks military, but probably is not original, who knows? Interesting find!

Hey, one of those pictures is transposed the exhaust stack is on the wrong side! LOL

I know, so is the steering. I reversed that one for a more pleasing collage...hey, what can I say, I post my photos on sites that are all about the art of photography! I know, what am I doing here? :duh

You know, I caught a glimpse of a Federal - which I'd never heard of - and it looked promising...

Diane Marie

Occupation
Bingo! lantraxco, take a look. This came up in a round-about way searching for Federal. No mistaking that bumper.

7762080662_7b1532494b_o.jpg
7762333838_6462743567_o.jpg
From: http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&page=1&photo_number=50&tag_mode=all&search_type=User&originput=MurrayJoe&sorting=Interestingness&photo_type=250&noform=t&search_domain=User&sort=Interestingness&textinput=MurrayJoe

It's in Australia, believe it or not. And, I found a forum with a thread about these trucks in Australia + old photos.
Hey, Jim, the forum owner lives in Central Point, OR!

Good, another mystery solved - thanks a million, guys!

Diane Marie

Occupation
Diane Marie, I was out deer hunting in October and found another old mill with a still intact wigwam burner, it was on a side road off of hiway 226 between Trail and Tiller Oregon, again just over the hill from you. It looked like most of the old mill buildings were still in use for storage, but that was just an impression from driving by.
Jim

Checked that out on Google Earth and didn't see it, but will keep looking! I didn't look too much on the side-roads... By the way, the hwy between Trail and Tiller is 227. Looks like a gorgeous drive and maybe some RUSTY STUFF to take pictures of.

Diane Marie

Occupation
Truck Shop - Hard to forget, isn't it? Do you have any idea when it was built? I remember it from childhood, my dad drove by it many times on the way to and from Klamath Falls.

jim-in-so-ore

Diane Marie, you are right, it's hiway 227. I found the wigwam burner on goggle earth. It is a short distance up the west fork of Trail creek on the left side of the road.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That's a WWII 1940 to 45 Federal and only built between 40 and 45.

Truck Shop

Yep, you are right. I mentioned Diamond T because it looked a lot like one that used to be sitting out in a field west of Pasco that looked very similar. Sadly it's gone now, It was a huge 6x4 beast with large pattern budd wheels and an old double disc Cummins under the hood with a set of huge Timken worm drive rear ends.
Used to be an old Federal 6x6 up near Royal City with flat fenders and Gruss air springs on the front axle, not sure of it's history but it was one big old truck. It disappeared during the scrap iron craze.

Truck Shop

That cab was used by Biederman, FWD, and some Diamond T military trucks during the WWII era. But the dead give away is the humped front bumper.
I'm pretty sure Federal was the only one who built a military truck with that style of bumper. The Ellensburg school bus garage had one of each, a Biederman
6x6 military wrecker and a Federal military straight truck. Both were in pristine condition, Biederman trucks are very rare these days.

Truck Shop