• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

more random skid steer comments

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
2 19 16  660hrs (6).jpg
I will try to get some side by side pics of the Cat 242D and the Bobcat S590 we have on demo. I agree with Dave that the Cat machines are way oversized. I also hate ISO controls after running them spreading gravel. It's funny b/c I tried to get the Bobcat T590 track loader and Bobcat S550 we just bought with Joysticks. The Bobcat salesman talked me into standard hand/foot Bobcat controls. I am going to buy him a case of beer or a bootle of Jack or something.
Won't be buying another Cat anytime soon. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Not the best picture, but I hope you can see the Mustang control towers adjust fore and aft, AS WELL - the armrests can be adjusted fore and aft independently of the control towers. VERY comfortable!

Last edited:

Rentalstop

my biggest problem with cat is historically they have always been WAY longer than a bobcat. you could almost always jump a full frame size in a bobcat for length of a cat. i see the new 232d tries to compete with the s185, but the bobcat 500s are quite a bit longer than that now. so now i am looking for a cat to compete with a s595 and they don't have one. the 242d is what would compete, but that is 5 inches longer than the 595, so i could jump a full frame size to a 650 in a bobcat and still be shorter than a 242. the 232 is also only 59 inches wide. its really a small machine. maybe cat is figuring on picking up bobcats business where an s185 is the biggest size they can go.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's some pics of the Cat 242D next to a Bobcat S550, same size, different arms than the S595 that you have Dave. They are really close in length. Pics are deceiving. The Bobcat 500 series is defintely longer than than 700 (S185 etc) that they replaced. Will post up some pics of the Deere 312GR when it comes in. I ordered one. Hate the Cat, so adding the Deere. Hopefully Deere has done their homework.
Deere has a four models of skid steer in this frame size. 312GR is the lowest hp radial lift.

dave esterns

so i test drove a 242d today. the final analysis is i wish i woulda kept the jcb 205 for 2-3 more years, and then reevaluated my options. the cab on the jcb is sweet. the cat cab is better than bobcat, but not quite as sweet as the jcb; although the seat was better.

i would call the 242 half way between a 595 and a 650. it is physically a bigger machine than our bobcat; not much, but an extra inch or 2 in length would make it too long for us. i measure from the front of the front tire to the back of the machine. we used to run a 642 bobcat back in the day which was probably the ideal size for our setup, but we have gradually been getting an inch or 2 longer here and there somewhere you reach a length that is too long.

the cat has a sweet seat, pretty sweet cab, good visibility to the front and sides. i didn't notice where the joysticks bounced side to side like they do on the bobcat.

i didn't like the narrowness to the cab for legs and feet, intrusive foot throttle, poor rear visibility. i would prefer the joysticks closer to me than adjustment would allow. the joysticks were pretty low effort, but throw i thought was a bit too much. i prefer the joysticks in the kubota and the jcb as far as throw and effort.

the cat eh software is better than jcb, but not as good as the latest bobcat software in my opinion.
i didn't like the lack of bucket cylinder cushioning. i thought the ride control setup was acceptable, although i would still prefer a button on the joystick for that.

i tell you if kubota makes their cab quiet when they offer joysticks, they might have quite a machine.

i found the cat to be an acceptable machine overall.

check out the design of this armrest, seat, joystick configuration in the jcb. this is the way it should be, it was perfect.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...steer_interior_09_01_10_96924_hero_no_cup.jpg

Rentalstop

John Deere 312GR

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
Some pics of the new Deere 312GR delivered today. Will post some thoughts and observations later.

dave esterns

i always measure from the front of the front tire to the back of the machine when i measure a machine with a tape. that gives me the most useful information i find for frame size. if you look at that in the photo, the deere is significantly shorter. i have never understood specs including a bucket because there are so many unknowns in that measurement. but deere has never had an exceptionally short machine either. if you look at published specs on machines, cat is always way longer; can someone explain to me why that is? says here bobcat s650 is 108.4 inches, and cat 262d is 117.9. that is a massive difference. i see the case 445 is 104 inches, the new cases are outrageously long. kubota claims 106 on ssv75.

Rentalstop

Posted the pics but didn't have time to post any observations. So the ground clearance is about the same around 8 in. The Cat is 61 inches at the engine door. The Deere is 48 inches. Measured the distance at which you can see and object on the ground. Cat is 26 ft. Deere is 8 ft. Visibility is much better out the front and sides on the Deere. I realize that these are definitely different class machines. The bucket is much longer on the Deere which makes it the same length bucket to rear. I will try it with different buckets and it should be a few inches shorter.
This is the new small frame Deere skid steer series. Designed for the rental and farm markets. The 312GR (50hp) and the 316GR (61hp) are radial lift machines. The 314G (50hp) and the 318G (61hp) are vertical lift machines. They are all on the same basic platform. They went away from the new holland style loader arms and more towards bobcat. They are basic machines. The 312 & 314 are available as h/f and h pattern mechanical controls. The 316 & 318 have the available E-H with a switch from ISO to h pattern. Again these are basic machines, not Cadillacs. The 312 GR we have is similar to a new holland lx565 I had years ago (except for the arms). Pumps whine at low rpms. Auxiliary hydraulics are mechanical, leaning the right lever. Engine is a turbo charged Yanmar Diesel. DPF but no DEF. starts much easier than the Bobcat/Doosan engine. Engine oil filter is relocated to the back. Fuel filter and water separator are at the back. Hydro filter is accessible easily with the cab up. Cab flips up like bobcat. Foot well clean outs removable like bobcat. Overall it's $5k less than the Bobcat S550 (61hp) we bought a few weeks ago. We will rent it for the same amount and see how it goes.

Rentalstop

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
More pics of the Deere 312GR. Looks like it should be easy to work on. Oil filter, fuel filter and water separator at the back. Oil cooler swings out to clean radiator.