• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moldboard Material

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Not the best but all I could dig up at short notice.
As tctractors would say, let's see if we can put some verbs to go along with the pictures/drawings........
First you need some dogs and some wedges. Here's a dimensioned drawing - I hope it's obvious which one is the dog and which one is the wedge.

View attachment 189669

OK, so in the photo below you can see how the corner of the plate in the circle is not lined up with the plate next to it. It's probably sitting maybe 1" too high.

View attachment 189670

To dog it down, weld a dog on the plate that does not have to move with the open end of the dog hanging over the plate that has to move. The drive the wedge into the gap to force the plate downwards to where you want it to be. Then the seam can be welded as you see fit. Only weld the dog on the side where you will insert the wedge, (where the weld symbol is on the illustration below) that makes it easier to remove afterwards. You simply hit it with a hammer (upwards in this case), and the weld will break off. In some cases of thick/stubborn plates it might be necessary to use multiple dogs & wedges to get the plate into the position you want it.

It's 100% clear to me because I know what I'm looking at. Any questions shout out ..........

View attachment 189671

View attachment 189672

I prefer a 12" to 2" wedge, less chance of it being spit back out at me.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige,
I agree with you in instances where you're putting a lot of force on a plate to pull it in. In my case the curve was pretty close to fitting and the plate was pretty easily flexed with a 2 ton jack. I think the fit was within less than and inch so there wasn't any concern with flying parts.
I know of a couple of instances where things got loose in a hydraulic press....very scary. There can be a lot more stored energy than you realize until something goes BANG!
I certainly wasn't trying to say you were doing it wrong. Sometimes it's kinda hard to get into your head that not everyone uses 3/4" or 1" wear plates like the larger stuff does, and as a consequence it doesn't take much to get the metal where you need it to be. Even a fat bloke jumping up and down on it is often enough to get the plate into place.......:oops::oops:

StanRUS

I prefer a 12" to 2" wedge, less chance of it being spit back out at me.
8"-12" long wedge often can't be used, like dozer end corners.
Wedge-bolt; tighten down with impact to align plate(s)
Steel-Welding-Dog.jpg
AWS sketch dog & wedge with brief written usage description MSHA inspectors will question you about any modified or DIY tools.
WedgeandDog.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
8"-12" long wedge often can't be used, like dozer end corners.
Wedge-bolt; tighten down with impact to align plate(s)
View attachment 189757
AWS sketch dog & wedge with brief written usage description MSHA inspectors will question you about any modified or DIY tools.
View attachment 189758
Got 6 screw dogs just like that in my truck. I used 1"NF tall nuts for axle u-bolts. They will crank stuff down, but I won't use an impact on them... stuff happens too fast when a weld pops. And I know what you mean about the inspectors. I built a little bracket to hang heads on V71 series Detroits once and the shop had to have it sent out and magged and the whole 9 yards of NDT to certify it.

Shimmy1

And I know what you mean about the inspectors. I built a little bracket to hang heads on V71 series Detroits once and the shop had to have it sent out and magged and the whole 9 yards of NDT to certify it.

Doesn't sh1t like that make you wonder what kind of people sit around and dream this stuff up? You can't even make stuff like this up. And further, how deep are they digging into your life that they'd even find your "specialty" tooling???

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Doesn't sh1t like that make you wonder what kind of people sit around and dream this stuff up? You can't even make stuff like this up. And further, how deep are they digging into your life that they'd even find your "specialty" tooling???
If OSHA saw the half ton of stuff I built to work on Wabco scrapers I bet somebody's head would explode.