• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mobile homes under pole barn

gwhammy

I've took them apart with every type equipment made almost. Putting roller logs under them will make the job a lot easier. I'd be afraid just dragging them you might build up a lot of load. Trailer house frames are fairly stout till they get some kind of bend in them. How much room is there between the trailers?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I did a short stint of moving and setting up mobile homes in the late 70's into the early 80's. Some of the junkers were just dragged with a winch off the pads or runners they were setting on and busted up in the parking lot. We had a JI Case 580B TLB with a manual thumb and with an experienced operator, didn't take long to tear it apart and pack it into a roll off container. Once the body was off the frame was cut up and salvaged.

We too found old telephone poles were great "rolls" for when the axles were no longer under the trailers.

Luthi LLC

Ok so I tried pulling them out from under the pole barn and it lifted the 1 end but just ripped the frame when I tried pulling with a 135g. Does anyone have any new ideas?? Looking to get done asap as I am renting equipment

cfherrman

Can you lift one end up?

You need to separate the frame from the ground with some kind of poles otherwise it's going to dig in

Luthi LLC

I lifted 1 end with a chain wrapped around frame and lifted with excavator bucket then drove backwards

cfherrman

I would guess the other end dug I to the ground and there's not enough strength in the frame to pull it. I would pick one end up and put something down that the frame can slide on. Get all the frame off the ground if you can and pick it up just enough it slides so the back end doesn't dig in.

cfherrman

Just go father in and wrap it around the frame, might have to cut some insulation so you can go between the 2x6 joists and around the frame, might need two chains for each frame rail. The end plate might be weak I don't think I ever had seen one of those so you might get more pull from the frame.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
3 or 4" PVC pipe works well over uneven ground. I moved this jewel out on sewer pipe. Guy ruined a lot of good lumber building this.

View attachment 302364
A lot of those are trying to do tax evasion. Build 50% or less of square footage of trailer for addition and won't be taxed as a house, don't need building permits either. A lot of that across the US I have seen. Me I used 4 propane tanks to roll the frame on, but I was pulling with my own two hands and a chain fall. Even got a video of it.

Joe H

Got an axel under it and away it went.
1705288922065.jpeg
That was a 40' 1949 Casa Manana by Hensley of Texas. Imagine that thing behind your 56 Buick 4 holer chugging up the mountain to that spot. It was sitting on blocks here and then the house built around it.
1705289135870.jpeg
When I bought it.
1705289251743.jpeg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I smashed one up to pieces small enough to fit in a single axle dump truck. A single swing with a backhoe knocked one whole wall out so the roof collapsed. That one was studded with 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 studs, aluminum skin out, 3/16 Masonite with Mylar "wall paper" inside. Fiberglass insulation about 3/4" thick, I could see through it. Rafters were 11/16 x 2-1/2" strapping, upper chord of the truss was bent, a series of 1/4" plywood scraps stapled between them. More effort to keep fewer pieces for easier loading. Separated the sheet metal & the frame for scrap. That one was empty, all the landfill stuff added up to about 8 cubic yards, not a full load for the old dump truck.

cfherrman

These one couple put them on a u pattern and made a house, they really sucked at execution since they didn't know much about construction and only paid bottom dollar for help. Done right you could make a really cool spread for cheap using home made after the 80's or 90's

Delmer

There are some very stylish 50's mobile homes with aluminum work, jalousie windows, and nice cabinets inside. That doesn't mean they all need to be saved.

I've crushed plenty of sports cars, scouts, really unique vehicles, and lots of dodge faux woody wagons also.