• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mitsubishi MS40-8 swing motor issue

giubu

Hello all,
I am experiencing a slight problem with this old machine, and , being myself a novice, I don't know if it's just the way it is supposed to be or something can be done to adjust the problem.
So the machine works great, lots of power from the pumps, no other issues in general.
When I swing the machine it rotates very fast, if I am working with just a little throttle I have to be very gentle on the stick or it will send me flying out of the seat. The problem is that if I try to push some soil sideways, even a little mound, there seems to be no power there, unless if I "hit" it with some momentum, but that makes fine work really hard to accomplish. When I try to push something sideways, the engine revs don't go down at all, so I am suspecting something along the line of pressure relief valves. I tried slightly adjusting the valves on the main control bank, but no apparent change in the machine behavior. I see on the motor itself two valves with two nuts each on them, am I correct in thinking these are the pressure relief valves for the two lines? If so how would I go about adjusting them?
Thanks a lot

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day globe
Excavators are not designed to use in the way you describe I suggest you adopt a more conventional operating technique.
Kind regards
Uffex

giubu

ahahahah,
you just got to love that British P.C. I appreciate the suggestion and the delicate way you put it, but is there any literature you could recommend to learn conventional operating techniques?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day g
I will attempt to find some literature to forward to you, may be the other guys on the forum could also give you some advice, there are some high level guys contributing on the forum so I am sure some will add there comments.
Kind regards
Uffex

Tags

As far as operating a machine goes, if you were running my equipment and were swinging side ways to “hit” something with the bucket, that would be the last time you did it with my equipment...but, this is your equipment, do what you gets the job done I guess....don’t get me wrong, I know it’s frowned upon, but I do grade loose material by using the bucket while swinging sideways at a controlled rate of speed. I would imagine if you’re trying to move a considerable amount of material by swinging side ways with the bucket it just isn’t gonna happen, it doesn’t have the power, take smaller bites and see how it goes....and make sure you keep the swing bearing and everything else well greased, sounds like it’s gonna need all the love it can get...;)

giubu

Ok ok, I get the message, thanks a lot for saving my poor machine from my criminal hands.
I guess I just have to keep putting hours on it to figure out the does and donts, hopefully not the hard way...
Still, it would be nice to find some technical literature on operating excavators, what i have found is pretty basic, and I would really like to dig into the subject.
Grading is exactly what I am trying to do, and when i said "hit" i meant start swinging the bucket 20, 30 cm away from the little soil i want to move, not huge mounds. I have seen people do that,swing left and right to get soil leveled, that's why i thought it was actually a grading technique. I guess I have to get my hands on a grading bucket, the one I have has the longest teeth in the world...
thanks a lot for the inputs,
all the best

Tags

Ok ok, I get the message, thanks a lot for saving my poor machine from my criminal hands.
I guess I just have to keep putting hours on it to figure out the does and donts, hopefully not the hard way...
Still, it would be nice to find some technical literature on operating excavators, what i have found is pretty basic, and I would really like to dig into the subject.
Grading is exactly what I am trying to do, and when i said "hit" i meant start swinging the bucket 20, 30 cm away from the little soil i want to move, not huge mounds. I have seen people do that,swing left and right to get soil leveled, that's why i thought it was actually a grading technique. I guess I have to get my hands on a grading bucket, the one I have has the longest teeth in the world...
thanks a lot for the inputs,
all the best

Sooooo, didn't mean to hurt your feelings, was just having a little fun. There's a ton of good info and people here to help with lots of things. I think the best way to learn is to watch people operating excavators, big or small, doesn't matter. Just watch what they do while operating, how they go about doing it, and then try to duplicate it when operating your machine. Hop onto YouTube and just find some vids of people operating excavators, some will be really, really good and some almost unwatchable. The more you run the machine, the more you'll get a feel for what it will and won't do and what you can make it do, time operating will only make you better....

ESDE

Occupation
self employed due to low boredom threshold
If your machine has a swing cylinder for the boom to rotate the boom left to right (I'm not familiar with the mitsubishi machines) it will provide enough force to push loose dirt. The motor and mechanism to pivot the house over the track frame is just to pivot it, and won't take much more abuse.

giubu

wow ESDE,
that is a genius idea, I do indeed have a swing cylinder, so far I have only used it to dig in tight spots because the pedal is way too sticky to use it like the other functions. I will get that loosened up and try your suggestion for sure.
to TAGS , really no feelings hurt, you probably saved me a lot of hassle down the line, so how can I be mad. I am reading up us much as i can and watching videos too, so far I have not found somebody really interesting, there are millions of videos of people loading excavators on trucks in the most unimaginable ways, but regarding normal usage really not a lot.
UFFEX, that seems like a good link, i see they also have a youtube channel, i will definitely watch what they have on there.
thanks a lot and all the best