• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mitsubishi K4N Engine Spec Needed

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Howdy all. I have a little K4N Mitsubishi engine out of a 305 Cat excavator, S/N DGT01086. I can get the specs Cat shows on their media for it but they’re leaving out one particular measurement the machine shop needs. Centerline of crank to the deck of the block. I’m sure this is intentional to steer us to buying their complete engine. I’d rather not LOL.

I’m hoping somebody here has had one in their machine shop or has a better connection to Cat than I do. So far two of the three Cat houses I deal with haven’t come up with anything. They act like I’ve asked where Hoffa is buried!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Vetech63

Sounds like a job for @LACHAU! If he cant get it, it doesn't exist. LOL Are they looking at skimming the block deck? Or a line bore?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Not exactly sure, probably going to end up sleeved with standard pistons. It may need a few thou off the deck to clean up.

Vetech63

You might call James over at Memorial Machine tomorrow and see if they have done any of those blocks. If they have before I'd bet they have that spec.

Bluox

I’ll give that a try, thanks.
You can buy the engine specifications book and the D&A book separate from a complete service manual from Cat and the price is not that bad.
If you go to the Cat store have them look in the spec. book, bet that figure is there under block info.
Good luck
Bob

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Well I've had a look and it appears as though there is no specification information whatsoever available for that particular engine model cylinder block, only parts listings. It's only used in 3 models as far as I can see and so maybe Junkyard's thinking that it's designed to be throw-away (at least from the equipment OEM point of view) might not be too far from the truth.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Only thing I found was a media deal on it. Gave a lot of specs as far as go/no go measurements yada yada but that one spec is absent. My cat connection at the dealer said they’re not gonna share that so they can drive us to a reman engine. RENR9163 is where I found most of the specs we need but not that specific one.

Bluox

Only thing I found was a media deal on it. Gave a lot of specs as far as go/no go measurements yada yada but that one spec is absent. My cat connection at the dealer said they’re not gonna share that so they can drive us to a reman engine. RENR9163 is where I found most of the specs we need but not that specific one.
I'm used to the Cat engine books and that spec is shown in a picture. The few Jap engine books I have show that spec in the last sentence of the block section after how to replace liners.
My son works for a service company for a mine and they take care of a few 308 machines ,the last one blew up a motor and Cat only had new motors available. Took a month to get it but the only part he reused was the pump drive every thing else was new. The not good part 16K. I think this motor is the next bigger one than yours. He said he couldn't find a lot of info and had Cat find what he needed ,It wasn't in customer ET.
Bob

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
After all kinds of calls and emails.....I may have gotten what I need. From a dealer in the Netherlands!

Attachments

• Drawing K4N.pdf
    314.3 KB · Views: 19

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It is a bit confusing but I see the spec they want in one view. Hopefully that’ll give them enough to go on!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
An update to this train wreck. The friend I’m doing this for wants to get it done. Machine shop I took it to dicked us around so he went and got his parts. Wants to buy reman motor. I talk to Cat, 115 day lead time is best case scenario. Even parts are over seas with no real firm lead time. Talked to a Mitsubishi dealer in LA (the state LOL) and he send me a complete parts breakdown. I made a short list of key parts needed to see what their lead time is. About to call a different machine shop and send the drawing I have to make sure they can get the specs they need to bore this turd and we can get on with the rebuild.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I priced out a Mitsubishi complete engine, S4S so you would think it would be very common, they said it might take a year to get a new one from Japan. No thanks.

walkerv

An update to this train wreck. The friend I’m doing this for wants to get it done. Machine shop I took it to dicked us around so he went and got his parts. Wants to buy reman motor. I talk to Cat, 115 day lead time is best case scenario. Even parts are over seas with no real firm lead time. Talked to a Mitsubishi dealer in LA (the state LOL) and he send me a complete parts breakdown. I made a short list of key parts needed to see what their lead time is. About to call a different machine shop and send the drawing I have to make sure they can get the specs they need to bore this turd and we can get on with the rebuild.
Where did you buy the overhual parts from i have just torn one apart at home and need sleeves and all the goodies to rebuild one also 20230216_204100.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I ended up getting all the parts through cat. They had access to .010 over pistons and rings plus the oversize bearings for the mains and rods. Lead time wasn’t terrible. We had hell finding the plug for the back of the cam, ended up having a machinist buddy make one.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
There’s a place in LA that’s a big dealer for them, they could have gotten parts as well. They do a lot of marine and generator work. I’ll see if I can find their info.

walkerv

There’s a place in LA that’s a big dealer for them, they could have gotten parts as well. They do a lot of marine and generator work. I’ll see if I can find their info.
Awesome thanks , cat has no kits of any kind absolutley everthing i need is individual , i have a melted piston and a torched cylinder from it .