• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mitsubishi 5k worehouse forklift

IceHole

FD25? I think they call it. It's early-mid 90s, has a 4G52 engine.

What's the proper hydraulic oil for it? It was fine this summer, but now that it's winter, it's super slow to lower. Even with a few hundred lbs on the tines.

Thinking of draining the tank and adding ISO15 hydraulic oil. I have a pail I've been kicking around that is left over from a gravity down scissor hoist flatbed I sold a few years ago.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
FD25 is diesel, FG25 is gas-powered with 4G52 engine. Does it have mechanical or powershift transmission?
If mechanical transmission, any good 10W hydraulic oil will do. If powershift transmission, it takes Chevron Rando HD 32 or equivalent.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I didn't think the tranny and hydraulics shared oil on the FG25, but that's the oil recommendation from the Chevron site, so they've got that one wrong. They could be confusing the earlier FG25 with a later model Mitsubishi forklift with a hydro tranny.
In that case, hydraulic oil will be the same regular 10W hydraulic oil for your machine, regardless of transmission.

IceHole

I didn't think the tranny and hydraulics shared oil on the FG25, but that's the oil recommendation from the Chevron site, so they've got that one wrong. They could be confusing the earlier FG25 with a later model Mitsubishi forklift with a hydro tranny.
In that case, hydraulic oil will be the same regular 10W hydraulic oil for your machine, regardless of transmission.
I guess I should say ATF is what is in the trans. Possible it's incorrect.

I don't have a book for it.

Chevron's site? I'm in business point and don't have info like that. Just can cross competitors oil products

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
We always used AW32 in normal Sothern US temps in customers forklifts.
Had a few in constant freezer operations and drained and used ATF. Worked in Clark, Yale, Cat, Baker, and some pallet jacks OK.
You have cold, could be your present is too stiff...

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I see you're from Alaska? Arctic 15 is ok, but when things are still too slow, we will use 0W30 or 0W20 synthetic motor oil in the hydraulics.

We used Amsoil Synthetic ATF years ago but it's real pricey. Back them it was the only game in town.
We also used to cut 22 hyd oil with 50% kerosene before there was Amsoil, but you don't want to go there.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
I am recalling being told AW32 was equal consistency with 10W engine oil.
That the ATF we used was DEXRON II.
Been a long time since I poured any of it, so memory may be off.

Suggestion..
What if you put it in full production use (Capacity loads/Fairly long runs) for say 30 minutes.
Idea is to work it long enough for the pump to have heated the fluid to a normal consistency.
If improved then, thinner fluid would help. If not, look for a restriction in return lines.

IceHole

I am recalling being told AW32 was equal consistency with 10W engine oil.
That the ATF we used was DEXRON II.
Been a long time since I poured any of it, so memory may be off.

Suggestion..
What if you put it in full production use (Capacity loads/Fairly long runs) for say 30 minutes.
Idea is to work it long enough for the pump to have heated the fluid to a normal consistency.
If improved then, thinner fluid would help. If not, look for a restriction in return lines.
It's fine when warm... like this summer.