• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mining Help

ohfd281

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to look at my thread and maybe help me out. I'm looking for a career change! (I know bad timing) I'm trying to enter the world of mining (coal, gold, copper, as long as it pays the bills). I live in ky, but i'm willing to travel to where the work is. If you have any ideals where to find a job please let me know. I've searched and found several companys, but i've yet to come up with anything. If you know any companys hiring or a good site that list job openings let me know. Also i've even considered heading over to Australia, to try and get some expirence. Anyone know anything about the mining boom going on over there?? From what i've read they are needing people bad. Thanks for the help, and taking the time to check my post. :)

redline

Occupation
Plant operator and Tenkate plant hire
I am in the same boat here mate, in australia you need to have a generic mine induction and have black coal accreditation in the machine u wish to operate, from what i can see the company u wish to start with will need u to have a coal board medical (health/fitness),

Then it seems u have to have at least 6 months but generally 2yrs exp on a mine and in the action (makes it very hard to get the experience when ya cant get in lol)

if anyone else has other info on things i have missed or maybe got wrong i to would love to hear about it.

ohfd281

Yeah i know what ya mean, i'm just looking to get my foot in the door. How are you going to get experience if no one wants ya? Maybe i'm just missing something?

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Armstrong Coal right in KY is opening up a large surface mine and putting three draglines and a lot of other equipment back to work. They were asking for several hundred employees, so that might be a good oppurtunity.

ohfd281

Thanks for the heads up i'm checking for a web site right now. Massey Coal is a huge player, but its like chasing a dog chasing it tail trying to figure out where to apply. Anyone know where i need to go and talk to about Massey surface?

ohfd281

I'm in the Morehead area of Ky, but I do have a truck and travel bags. I'm not afraid to use either of them btw :) I'll shoot ya a pm

muddobber

Occupation
welder,machinist,mechanic, underground coal mines
Massey has a mine in Pike County, Sidney mine I think it is. I have been in and out of strip and underground since I was 18 and starting out is not easy. Underground will go faster as they hire a lot of greenhorns, surface you generally have to start on water truck or water-fuel-grease & work your way up. Keep in mind that if you hire in as a hauler driver once you top out in pay any where you go for a job you will be a hauler driver. Water and grease man generally are fill in man also and get experience on all the machines.The mine in Pike County is underground pillar, surface, longwall and a prep plant. Try searching web on Massey Energy Co , Arch Coal Inc, Alpha Natural Resources. I have worked at a few mines and a lot of shops and would suggest if you really want a job apply in person the last boss used the e-mail applications for the shop puppy to do his business on.

surfer-joe

Yep, I'd have to say that if you want to get into mining, you are in the right state. West Virginia is good too. You can look into the United Mine Worker union employment situation, but last I knew, that was almost a father-son deal.

Try the coal mining websites, maybe drive around a bit and make some phone calls. If you get around Isom, KY, try Golden Oak Mining. Not sure they are in surface mining anymore, but they were doing underground. Ah, just did a web search and Golden Oak is no more. (United Coal Company acquired the former assets of Golden Oak Mining and Cook & Sons ...) http://www.unitedcoal.com/holding_sapphire.html

Arizona was good last spring in copper, but some mines never did make it open before copper took a dive in price. Many are cutting back and laying off people.

Australia mines are closing fast and laying off scads of people. I see that iron ore production has picked up a bit.

Here is a good place to look for jobs, maybe one of the best sites on the web for worldwide info. You do have to sign up and pay for actual contact information.
http://www.infomine.com/careers/
Not many just plain operator positions listed at present though.

Good Luck!

Yep, I'd have to say that if you want to get into mining, you are in the right state. West Virginia is good too. You can look into the United Mine Worker union employment situation, but last I knew, that was almost a father-son deal.

Try the coal mining websites, maybe drive around a bit and make some phone calls. If you get around Isom, KY, try Golden Oak Mining. Not sure they are in surface mining anymore, but they were doing underground. Ah, just did a web search and Golden Oak is no more. (United Coal Company acquired the former assets of Golden Oak Mining and Cook & Sons ...) http://www.unitedcoal.com/holding_sapphire.html

Arizona was good last spring in copper, but some mines never did make it open before copper took a dive in price. Many are cutting back and laying off people.

Australia mines are closing fast and laying off scads of people. I see that iron ore production has picked up a bit.

Here is a good place to look for jobs, maybe one of the best sites on the web for worldwide info. You do have to sign up and pay for actual contact information.
http://www.infomine.com/careers/
Not many just plain operator positions listed at present though.

Good Luck!

surfer joe whereabouts in az ru?