• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Minimum rear tractor tire spacing for Bush Hog cutter

capn357

All,

I suspect this question may have been asked previously, but I've not yet been able to find the answer so please indulge me.

The manual for a BushHog BH26 states that the minimum rear tire spacing for the tractor should be 60" (inside to inside), but the manual doesn't give any indication as to why this is important. That is my question: Why is 60" spacing required versus, say 50"? Is it a safety thing, a cutting effectiveness thing, or something else?

DIYDAVE

Likely its a liability thing, for the manufacturer. too narrow a tread, makes tractor tippy. Also may be trying to keep a tree from hitting the tractor or the operator, while you are trying to cut it down... ;)