• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Minimizer or Spray Mate fenders from Fleet Engineers ?

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I am wanting to put some fenders on my lowboy tractor and am looking at either the Minimizer ( polyethylene) fenders or the (polypropylene) ones from Fleet Engineers. Does anyone have any experience or preference for either fender? Any feed back will be helpful.
Thanks

johndeere123

We use 4 plastic half round fenders on our lowboy tractor. Im not sure if they are polyethylene or polypropylene, but they came with an unlimited lifetime warranty. They seem to be durable fenders, but we do break them quite often. Our lowboy does go through some abusive situations though. If your not abusing your truck, they will probably last you a long time.

still learn'n

We have minimizer on our trucks and the actual fender don't break the mounts break before the fender! A company that hauls for us sometimes has fleet engineer and he really likes them they have 4 set screws that you loosen and the whole fender comes off for ease of maintenance! Looks is each persons preference! Jerry

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
I have the fleet engineers...navy blue... I put taller saddles on my 5th wheel for clearance, turning through dips, scratches nicely with bull rack, protects fairly nice when hauling and driving lots of gravel, but the rocks will wear through them and over time where the rocks hit the underside, will show white spots..fatigues the material. wouldn't go without them though. dittos on the mounting part with the fleet ones

millercross3

Occupation
:drinkupThank you, you'll hear her for a couple miles first, then shows up with the beauty next:notworthy

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I went ahead and purchased the fleet engineers, black in color. Mounting was fairly easy....took only 45 minutes per fender. Like millercross3 said above,you have to raise your fifth wheel plate or the fenders will get into your trailer.
I have ran them for a couple of weeks now and now I really appreciate them alot....cannot believe I went so long without them. They really keep road spray and rocks off my equipment;)

millercross3, nice looking truck.........I have a blue flat top Freightliner Classic that looks almost identical to your Kenworth.

millercross3

Occupation
thanks...one thing I did was put some light rubber canvas inbetween the two fenders to keep stuff from coming up inbetween the two fenders and a set of those black frilly hula girl type deals that mount on the inside and outside edge would help with rock throwing..esp on the inside side...I've got lots of lots of rocks that get thrown under and around my fifth wheel, and knocked my back window out on the sleeper...if I had them maybe it would have kept that from happening. did you get the chrome straight mount or the offset mount? I had the chrome jobbies..I'm a self proclaimed chrome-aholic!, but I'm switching them over to the offset due to my drill not making the hole in the right spot(not my fault, the drills, hahaha) then it would buckle the fender a little too much and not put the right arch on it, plus the offset are heavier built. I've tore three fenders off, but I keep putting them back on...I guess I'm addicted to them.

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I thought about putting something between the fenders also, but was afraid it would start piling up with rocks and dirt.....do you have any trouble with that? I attached a mud flap to the rear fender and I thought about adding flaps to the front fenders ( the main reason I haven't is because of looks....what do you think?). I bought the black painted offset mounts.....well made and easy to install. I thought about getting the chromes one with the black fenders because they won't chip and would look sharp....but my wallet told to go with the black.;) How many inches did you raise your fifth wheel plate? I raised mine 4" and so far haven't had any trouble of the my lowboy gooseneck getting into my fenders.

millercross3

Occupation
You would get some dust and occasional rock but a quick swipe of the hand and it's pretty clear. Got my rubber from Mac's hardware...maybe 3/16 thick flexible but firm. I already have a rear bumper with flaps so I was good there. I have a step box on one side and bare on the other. The other side is chewed threw due to front tire throwing rocks back even though I have flaps on the hood, front side of step and the back of step and they still get back there. Pretty sure I'm no speed deamon too...I just cringe driving grave, even though I haul it. On those 40 miles gravel jogs...turn the radio up and tell yourself everything will be ok.:eek: If you put some on there I'd go with something firmer, but lighter than the normal anti spray ones with the little nipples. BLACK.....don't do the aussie thing and put like cat yellow or white like they have it on their roo sausage makers(if trucks had fashion sense...that'd be a huge no no in my book hahaha) but whatever pulls your love string I guess. The stainless ones looked SWEET against my blue, but with time and our hwy guys using chloride-salt-sand (chrome/stainless destroying mixture), those stainless(must have been poorer grade) rusted a little and stained from that garbage. They still chip from that crushed rock gravel roads too. I'm not sure what height my saddles were..gotta be that 4 or 5" range too. Lucked out at my local truck graveyard(DISNEYLAND) and got the assembly for close to $100. I think used at the time was somewhere near $600. If you haven't dipped it them yet.....you will...just wait hahaha! Inevitable! My belly dump was ok on them, but the bull rack was like a P O'ed cat. SCRATCH. If I wouldn't have been turning in such a bad approach with closed tandems..and perhaps I might have been a little heavy, it would have been alright. I've dipped it on them before without turning, they flexed a little and right back to normal. Phew, posters cramp. Throw a picture up and lets see them black pearls you put on your girl!

Oxbow

I was wondering if you had clearance from the neck when seperated from the deck on a NGB, it looks as if you do. I have hendrickson pad walking beam suspension with a lot of axle travel on my lowboy tractor and was concerned about how high I would have to allow for clearance for the travel.

Milliercross3, how do you throw your chains on, and do you have enough clearance for them? Having been in the Bakken last winter I know that chains are not just for looks!

millercross3

Occupation
*GULP* a freightshaker:eek: I pains me to say......jk...looks good...what's happening to the paint. The fenders look like they were meant to be on there. Did you end up putting anything inbetween or on the inside curve of the fender? I was curious about the clearance with that neck to. Looks to be a.o.k!
If I need chains to get where I'm going Ox...I shouldn't have going there in the first place. :lmao I run locally from where I'm at. If the rain is falling or the snowflakes are flying...my sweet baby is parked in the shop:tong

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Ox, I did raise my fifth wheel plate 4" and it looks like that is going work. In the picture,I have the lowboy unhooked and the gooseneck is a little lower than when I am running down the road.

Oxbow

millercross3;415250 If I need chains to get where I'm going Ox...I shouldn't have going there in the first place. :lmao I run locally from where I'm at. If the rain is falling or the snowflakes are flying...my sweet baby is parked in the shop:tong[/QUOTE said:
Unfortunately, I don't have the that luxury Millercross!

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
millercross3, Thanks......I kinda like the old girl too. She's a '95 and starting to show some age on the roof edges......guess I am going to have to give it a little paint.Always seems like there is something that needs attention. I haven't done anything between the fenders yet.......thought I would run it a while and see what happens.

Oxbow

Ox, I did raise my fifth wheel plate 4" and it looks like that is going work. In the picture,I have the lowboy unhooked and the gooseneck is a little lower than when I am running down the road.

I have plenty of clearance when I am attached and in the haul position, but when I lower it to the ground I am afraid the neck would hit the fenders on the back drives. I may have to go with fenders mounted to the lowboy neck, they are ugly, but would sure save on mud and rocks hitting the back of the cab and mirrors, as well as whatever I am hauling.

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have plenty of clearance when I am attached and in the haul position, but when I lower it to the ground I am afraid the neck would hit the fenders on the back drives. I may have to go with fenders mounted to the lowboy neck, they are ugly, but would sure save on mud and rocks hitting the back of the cab and mirrors, as well as whatever I am hauling.

Ox, My goose neck ( when unattached from the deck of the lowboy ) is held up by 2 hyd arms down to the frame of the truck. If I pulled the arms up ( letting the goose neck come down ) is only time my fenders would come close to hitting. What kind of lowboy do you have? Like millercross3 told me above..."throw a picture up"....lets see what you're working with.:)