• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Minimisation of diesel fuel on earth moving project

FuelMiser

I am looking for advice on minimising diesel fuel use on an earth moving project that involves use of dumper trucks, dozers, excavators, graders, etc.
Is there an industry best practice guide?

buckfever

No long term idealing tell your guys to shutoff their machines when their getting off. Also use the machine for it's intended purpose. Equipment is not a shuttle don't use them to drive around.

dblaneyfan

Main thing I could think of is make a plan ahead of time and get your workers all on the same page, keep the project running efficiently, don't let operators and equipment sit idle. Have a workflow plan in place and be prepared for the problems that always pop up when dealing with anything man made.

Also, keep your equipment pm'd and maintained, keep a close watch on your filters.

Good luck,

JCS

joispoi

Do you work for Fuel Miser?

Otherwise, the key is to minimize wasted hours. Don't move the material more than you have to.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . On the newer gear it may be different but I have found over the years that I got better economy if I set out to make the buggers lug . . . that is to say use the highest gear possible and cut back on the revs.

Nursing overheating dozers for a shift (D8's, 21's whatever) by cutting back a notch made a noticeable difference when you back up to the tanker . . . and we got paid just the same.

In other words only use as much throttle as it takes to get the job done.

Cheers.

jeff112

Have a good tune up performed,fuel system,air,and valve adjustment.Also don't run them flat out and don't lug them down the strain on components over time will make you pay in the end,this will only work with good operators! That can make the corrections /rpm,gear selection, ext that pertains to the job terrain.

buckfever

On your excavators use the different settings for digging modes. There are there for a reason and they do work. It realy is amazing the fuel saveing you get when you let the motor run a little slower.

vtcntrctr

I hear a couple busloads of illegal mexicans with shovels can really cut down on fuel usage.

In all seriousness you want to minimize total costs, not just fuel costs. This means knowing your costs and productivities, and choosing the right machine for the job.