• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini Excavator Costs. Upfront and down the road.

Spacecase

Hey everyone,

First HEF post here! I have been reading the forums for the last few weeks, and I have to say that this is a great community of knowledgeable and friendly people!

So I'm in the market to buy a new Mini Excavator around 10,000 - 12,000lbs. I know every machine is expensive to buy and operate, but I just want to see what would be the best bet regarding machine to general cost of ownership ratio. I'll probably be owning this machine for at least 5 years.

We would be using this machine for small excavation jobs, concrete demo with a hammer, and concrete removal with bucket and claw.

Since it's the end of the year many of the manufacturers are offering 0% or low interest financing so I'm trying to buy this machine in the next week or so.

After countless hours of research and dealership visits, I've narrowed my choices down to the Kubota KX57, Bobcat E50, Case CX 50B or 55B, and the CAT 305.5 E CR. All dealerships are within 1 hour drive of me.

I'm right now leaning towards the Kubota KX57. It is the cheapest machine out of all the machines I got quotes on. It is about $6,000 less than the Bobcat and Case, and at least $10,000 cheaper then the CAT, and Kubota is offering no payments until April 2013 and 0% financing for 5 years.

I was quoted on each of these machines with the following options. Cab with Heat/AC, Angle Front Blade, Rubber Tracks, 24" bucket, Hydraulic Thumb, and Quick Bucket Coupler.

I was curious out of those machines, how are the prices for parts and service? Who are the most expensive/least expensive for parts? I would consider the Bobcat, Case, or CAT, in that order, even though the machine is $6,000-$10,000 more up front if the machine will cost less in the long run.

Right now though, Kubota would be my pick considering the initial cost, 0% for 5 years, and also no payments until April. The no payment until April is definitely a plus for me. I don't have the work for the machine right now, but I will have a couple of jobs starting right around then.

Thanks again guys, and sorry for the long post!

-Spacecase

lowbed driver

Me I would lean towards the CAT but they are the only dealership and are 45 min away. Case is 3.5-4 hrs away and the others about 6.5-7.5 hrs away assuming I would want to drive to get parts. That said the overnight couriers are pretty good depending on what time I would order. Even so I would need to assume getting parts on the second day after ordering.

I do like Bobcat machines so if a Cat was not available I would be hppy with the E50. I was just on the CASE website the other day and the two CASE machines you mentioned caught my eye. Especially the 55.

I would start by going to each manufacturers sight and use the machine comparison feature and compare them all. Good luck with which ever you pick and welcome to site. LB

01DUALLY

Welcome Spacecase, Both kubota and Bobcat are great reliable machines. Guess what sold me was that the Bobcat could dig faster than the kubota that I was intrested at the time. I have 1700 hours on my Bobcat 334 and just have done regular maint. Due for some new tracks now. Think in the future the E50 would make a great addition to my fleet. Good luck wit your decision!

andrewpond

Welcome. I have only had bobcat, so cannot comment on cost on others. But if u service according to their specs reg maintain is approx $4 people/hr. I was shocked when I calculated that. Fuel is cheap with new motors my e32 sips only 3/4 tank in full hard day approx $60.
Try searching the Site another member quote parts cost as percentage, I think cat was highest and kubota was also way up there. But as other guys mention it really comes down to ur local dealer.
We had a horrible bobcat dealer and they lost the dealership thankfully and new guy start and is pretty good now.
Bobcat also has a deferred. Payment Plan right now....but 3% I think.
Not really fan of bobcat buckets. Other guys have suggested geith, better and lot cheaper?

Anthonycecil

You might refer further in this site and read about the problems a few have had with the Kubota 57....I was going to get one of them, but decided on a Bobcat 50....Man the last thing you would want was to have trouble with a new piece, and the company/dealer not take care of it.....I would imagine that any company could have trouble with a particular machine, but that discouraged me from Kubota...I could have saved several thousand dollars, but not worth it to me

I have a Kubota tractor and it is a fine product , been very reliable...Tony

90plow

We have a kubota 057 and couldnt be happier. Used it 8 hours just today. I think its a well balanced machine I have no problem with what these guys were describing I think it was a few people worried about something that happens in pretty much every machine the hydrualics slow when moving the machine with the tracks and moving the arm or bucket. I love the kubota and 6-10k is alot of money for a name.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I like the CASE 55B. The cab is more normal sized so its easier to get in and out of. Typically your in and out a lot on these sized machines and ingress and egress is no small matter. The breakout specs are real good as well. My issue was the gpm was not as strong as I needed to run a certain attachment. The 305.5 is a nice machine, great breakout, smooth hydraulics, cab door is a PINTA to get in and out of and it was about 8K over the Takeuchi that I bought. The research showed that the TK was slightly better in resale than was the 305.5. It really made it hard to spend more for the CAT. I never considered the BC or Kubota so I have no experience on these machines. Typically though an excavator is a pretty trouble free piece of equipment. I have had very few issues with IHI or Takeuchi machines, so little I cant remember the last time I lost a day of work due to a breakdown. I think that is pretty representative of the major players in this market. They all are expensive to work on.

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
Just one thing on the Kubota financing, make sure the specific machine you are looking at, is in the finance plan with your specific dealer. The machine I bought did not end up with that financing, even though the web site said it did, so make sure to get that up front. (Personally, I think that was a dealer problem) With that said, I have owned Takeuchi's and Kubotas, and can't really say anything bad about either machine. The Takeuchi has a lot of digging power for a smaller machine. (Mine was a 6000lb machine, and it had a lot of snot!)

Spacecase

Thank for all the reply guys.

So it looks like I am going to be purchasing the Kubota KX-057-4. I ran several hours on a Kubota 161-3 a few years ago and had no issues at all with the machine. I think that the few problems that I read about in the forums, that people had with Kubota's machines and the KX 57 in particular, were isolated incidents and don't reflect on the Kubota brand as a whole.

I was able to knock another $500 off the price and the dealer is throwing in the travel alarm and radio. I didn't think that it was worth spending an extra $6,000-$10,000 on the other machines that I mentioned above. Plus, Kubota and the dealership I'm going with is offering me 0% for 5 years and no payments due until April 2013. None of the other manufacturers came close to that.

I will be heading to the dealership right after Christmas to sign the paper work, since the rebates and 0% financing is only good until the new year.

Thanks for all the help and opinion guys, I truly appreciate it.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

-Casey

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
Enjoy, and be sure to post a picture of it when the machine arrives, we all love baby pictures.... B-)

Hendrik

I operated a Cat 305.5 a couple of days ago and was not impressed, the thing couldn't even lift itself with the boom. Also the cab was kinda hard to get in and out of but it was a compact radius machine.
The foot pedals for the travel levers where also poorly set out, no problem going forward but backward the position was all wrong for someone with long legs.

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
I operated a Cat 305.5 a couple of days ago and was not impressed, the thing couldn't even lift itself with the boom. Also the cab was kinda hard to get in and out of but it was a compact radius machine.
The foot pedals for the travel levers where also poorly set out, no problem going forward but backward the position was all wrong for someone with long legs.

My K008-3 doesn't even have foot controls. That actually surprised me, as I hadn't even thought about an excavator not having travel pedals. And in all of the images it looke dlike it had them. (It turned out to be swing and hammer controls.) Not a real deal breaker, but kind of a pain in the arse at times. Very powerful for such an incredibly small machine though.