• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 75A Series II service manual?

krusty

Gang,

Procured myself a 75A series II with a 453 in it. Currently working out a couple minor bugs on the engine and then will be to get the brakes working again. Seems that there are really no serious issues at this point and want to use it to pile firewood.

Found the parts manual online but would like to get the service manual for this machine. I cant seem to find the service manual for a series II so if anyone has a lead pls let me know.

Tranny seems to work fine and has a minor leak but nothing that concerns me for its age. Previous owner said they replaced clutch packs many years ago and spent much of its life on a farm. I would like to understand how the tranny actually works should I have any issues.

Cant beat the sound of a Detroit 2 stroke!

Krusty,

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can you find a tag on the transmission with a Model number? I'm thinking that a Michigan would have a Clark transmission.
Been many moons since I touched a Michigan loader and the smallest one was I believe a 125 and the one I did transmission work on was in a 475IIA, a bit bigger than your 75A!

kshansen

Occupation
A 4-53 Detroit would make a nice sound unless your neighbor had a hang-over or worked the third shift!

krusty

I finally got the detroit running reasonably right! it would not idle when I first got it and was tough to start.

I like my neighbors and one day in the summer I should hold the diesel symphony in the yard. Man is it loud with the exhaust about 2' from the operator.

2 - 4 wheel drive works. I shifted from work to travel and could not get it back into work. Am pretty sure the linkage needs adjustment. Seems like it has lots of power.

Once the ground dries up I will search for a tag on the tranny. Before I got the engine running better, I dont think I was reaching proper engine speed on it. Now it moves very quick in the yard without issue.

kshansen

Occupation
Sounds pretty good to me!

If you want to hear what a real Detroit sounds like fire up a 16V-71 with twin turbos on it in a garage just big enough to fit a ten wheeler. Nothing on intakes or exhaust just two bare turbos. Even running free with no load on the engine it can get your attention!

krusty

Well now that spring has sprung, I have ventured to spend a little more time with my new friend. Not sure how to diagnose exactly but I have a service manual for what seems to be the general series. Goes forward and reverse, high and low. 2x4 and 4x4. Put a pressure gauge on the output of the hydraulic pump where it comes to the tranny. Am getting a good consistent 160 PSI at modest RPMs and no decrease in any gear or direction, or changes. Leads me to believe the piston seals are fine in the tranny, the hydraulic pump is fine and the regulator is fine. It wont go above 160 PSI but I am not worried....well maybe I should be!

With no load on the machine it drives fine, but when I try to scoop something up, it simply does not have the power I would expect. I can drag the bucket back as well with the teeth down and it struggles. With the floor open I can see the shaft from the torque converter to the tranny does not spin when under load. This tells me the clutches are fine as they are basically causing the torque converter to wimp out.

Does that make sense? Any other wisdom? I understand there is Seabea who is the resident guru :)

Not sure what else I should consider since my knowledge on hydrostatic drive systems is limited. Am I looking at a rebuild for torque converter? There is a boneyard in NY not too far away may check on for a replacement, but I figure it would need love too. Anything else I should be looking at?