• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF50A drive issue

BILLYMAN62

I recently got a field find 50A running, and no longer blowing hose's. Issue now is drive to the wheels. I believe the issue may be that my transmission Control Valve arm does not seem to travel, or if it does, it is in less than a 1/2" play either way. How much travel should this arm have? Any help would be appreciated.

Delmer

That doesn't sound unusual, but I'll come back in a couple hours and update. Did you ever see it move? or has it been immobile the whole time you've been working on it? That is, did it drive and then stop driving, or did it never drive for you?

BILLYMAN62

Yes two shifter on the center floor panel. The lower arm below the control vale arm moves freely when disconnected from the control valve arm. As if the arm is somehow stuck between forward and reverse, it would seem.

BILLYMAN62

It has never moved since I bought it. Motor is strong and when applying the foot throttle the engine powers up rpm wise.

Delmer

Mine moves pretty close to 1/2" forward and 1/2" back, that is the forward reverse shaft going into the side of the trans/bellhousing, measured at the pin.

Have you checked the fluid level? I think it's the angled hex head plug on the side of the trans, separate from the trans oil which is checked from the dipstick.

Otherwise, it's a matter of eliminating the other possibilities besides the reverser before tearing into the reverser. So check that the flex plate is intact, through the starter hole, or remove the brace that goes over the bottom inspection hole and see if moving the torque converter moves the flywheel. Does your differential lock work? long handle on the right side of the seat, pull back then try to drive. Do you get any grinding of gears when shifting the two gear shifters? try it at idle, then rev a little forward and backward while shifting and see if there's any clanking at all, like something is trying to turn without load.

BILLYMAN62

everything else now works, after a little tlc, except this issue with of immobility. I suppose I could dig down hill and roll my way somewhere, but would prefer to drive.

BILLYMAN62

differential handle moves freely in and out. Maybe I need to drain the fluid and replace. When I opened the hex bolt just to the left of the arms, it ran fluid out quite fast. It may need to be pulled to level ground, one rear tire is sitting in a hole, but have it leveled with out-riggers and wheels off the ground to see if any movement of rears.

BILLYMAN62

I will try the shifting and differential while trying to accelerate tomorrow when the fire dept is available for a rescue. I want to thank all for the assitance, it is good to have folks to reach out to.

Delmer

When I opened the hex bolt just to the left of the arms, it ran fluid out quite fast...

How about figure out which plug on the bottom is the drain, and loosen it enough to make sure there's no water in there? if oil drips out, then there's no water, if water drips out, let it drip until you get oil, or drain the whole thing. Do you have a filter housing in the line to the cooler, or another filter housing for the reverser? can't remember at the moment. Check that to see if it's plugged, or what evidence is in there. It might be a metal screen designed to be rinsed and re used.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Don't know how that machine works but you indicated you would try shifter and diff while accelerating, I would try to avoid engaging diff lock while at higher rpms or severe damage may occur. Just my 2 cents.

BILLYMAN62

I am leaning towards the draining proceedure. It seemed that way too much tried coming out the fill hole. and the filter changing or cleaning of possible screens. You guys are the bomb as we use to say. I will get you informed to my progress. Thanks again.

BILLYMAN62

So here is my daily update, if interested. After believing the machine is fairly level, I opened the hex bolt on the side near the shifting linkage I have been discussing.There is a line at this bolt head that says fill level. When opened, a gusher was hit. Using a drain pan that holds an estimate of 2.5 gallons give or take. This pan filled twice and after dumping, the hole continues to give slowing fluid. I expect it to peter out in a while. This leads me to believe someone either filled this to the brim, or water filled it through the not so tight dip stick tube. I found two allen head bushings that appear to be drains, but both are too tight to turn out. I suspect if able to open, water would come out. I am tempted to use vice grips on the exposed 1/4" maybe more of thread, but thought I would post my update to the pro's and see if anyone thinks I am heading somewhere. I like to tell a story, if you have not already gathered. Bill.

sled dog

Either one of those plugs will drain. There is also a hex plug ,operators left side, down from and in front of left brake. Above and inside of the plate that the allen plugs screw into is a suction screen/ filter. You have to remove the 10 bolt plate to get to it. You also should have a small cartridge filter on steel lines, left side of engine block for converter.

BILLYMAN62

shifter boots, yes I see one that is defective. There is a large 1 1/6" hex bolt next to the shifter. Is this also for filling or just an inspection window. Everything looks well lubricated inside there that's for sure.

Delmer

Sled dog, is the oil in the converter the same as the trans? and is it checked with the hex plug on the side? or is that a remnant from the former model? My post #6 may be wrong about the fluid levels and separate compartments. High fluid shouldn't cause this issue, but if it's high because it's full of water, that could do it. Or it could have been overfilled by the previous repair attempt?