• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF40 with backhoe. Anything special to look out for?

jatt

Hi,

All going well I will be going up country (about 1.5 Hr from here) next week to have a look at one.

Anything special the collective can think of that I should be wary of?

I know these arent exactly a new machine, so this unit will have some niggling issues.

Just dont think I will use it enough to cough up the big bucks needed for something better. Going to be using this thing on and off at the workshop (hobby farm size) and in town (pers project), so just want my own unit. Dont need it to make a dollar.

My day job is be unpredictable, at least for the forseable future, so spare time can just present itself adhoc, and dissappear just as quickly. Not easy to tee up something for rental. Got the plant trailer and access to a suitable tow rig.

Already have a tractor with FEL at the shop and contemplated a backhoe on the 3 point, but am concerned i would kill it when I use it in town (a bit rocky). Its Chinese and fine as a tow motor, but dont honestly think it would handle the stresses of a backhoe.

Delmer

I agree, the old MF's are fine for what they are, a step up from an add on backhoe, but a long way from a more modern backhoe design. Relatively simple to keep going also.

I don't have any experience with a 40, and only a little experience with similar models so this might or might not apply, just what I'd look for. Some of the early models twisted the oil pan to engine when using the loader, later they added a brace from the bottom of the torque converter housing to the front axle pivot housing. If the engine and the loader mount arms are all that hold the front to the back, with no added brace bolted on underneath, make sure it's not leaking, or has broken bolts, or has a new oil pan and/or front cover gasket in an attempt to fix the leaks. The swing motor on the backhoe is a bit of a weak link, as is the power steering, check those carefully. Steering kingpin wear, brakes, hoses and seals that have turned to chunks of coal...

Straight injectors are an indirect injection engine, slanted ones are a direct injection.