• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Metric D6N

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
My next victim in the shop. made in France. 2004 D6N Serial number CAT00D6NVALH 00361
In for new undercarriage, all new Hydraulic lines, complete service of all fluids and filters, make the A/C work etc, etc.
The owner bought from the internet sight unseen with a rust oleum overhaul.
C-6 Acert. The hydraulic lines are a real mess, the lift cylinders leak, one track adjuster leaks and the hits just keep coming.
Anything I need to watch for on this machine ? Will CAT know what each hydraulic line is built to or do I drag each one to the dealer to match up ?IMG_20221105_162834331.jpg IMG_20221106_140958405.jpg IMG_20221105_165732261.jpg IMG_20221105_162834331.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_165741525.jpg
    IMG_20221105_165741525.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

JPV

Hoses won't be a problem at the dealer, they all have part numbers if you want to spend the time looking them up. That line to the angle cylinder is supposed to go around the vertical brace on the c frame with a clamp going to the threaded boss on the back, then between the pin and the frame like the other one. Those are good machines, we have one with over 16000 hours on it and the only major work it has needed so far is an undercarriage and just put in a new motor. $23,000 for a Cat exchange motor, I didn't think that was that bad.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Will CAT know what each hydraulic line is built to or do I drag each one to the dealer to match up ?
They should have info to build any hose by Part Number taken from SIS using the machine Serial Number. Most will probably be missing by now but in less exposed areas of the machine where hoses might well still be original take a close look for an aluminium tag wrapped round the hose at one end or the other. It will have the hose Part Number stamped on it.
All bets are off if the machine was ever modified in any way by previous owner(s).
Attached are the lines in your 3rd photo. I wonder where the guards on the RH cylinder went...?

Attachments

• 110-6113.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 3

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
I wondered why that line was so long. Thank you. I curled like that to keep it off the ground. This one has 12,000 and feels like its almost all original.
Not a drop off antisieze anywhere !

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Thanks and hello again Mr. Nigel.
The left cover was smooshed and the right cover is missing completely. On my shopping list as I inspect and disassemble
I may need some SIS assistance with this one, no books at all, just flying solo.

Nige

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Thanks Nige.
I do notice different engines listed on the covers of these manuals. 3126, C-7...I think this machine has a C-6 Acert ?

Last edited:

Nige

Thanks Nige.
I do notice different engines listed on the covers of these manuals. 3126, C-7...I think this machine has a C-6 Acert?
Before proceeding further check the installed engine S/N just to make sure it hasn't been replaced by something newer. The tractor was originally built with 3126B engine S/N BMA9436.

Both those eBay links are correct. On the cover it lists tractor S/N ALH1-Up (from first built in other words) and engines from BMA1100-Up which will cover the engine in that tractor if it is the original BMA9436

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
I actually had to work today so no working on the dozer.
I will check it tomorrow.
BTW, while chipping Portland cement from around all the hyd. lines I did come across two of thos aluminum tags but they were so corroded it did me no good.

Nige

I did come across two of thos aluminum tags but they were so corroded it did me no good.
They are stamped from the back side to create raised letters/numbers on the front. Often if you carefully remove the tag and look at the back side of it the P/N will be revealed - so long as you can read backwards that is............

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
IMG_20221109_164454497.jpg IMG_20221111_100722428.jpgOK, so no engine serial number plate is jumping out at me. This whole machine looks pretty original.
Two questions, is there a simple solution to getting this angle cylinder pin out ? It is worn, the cyl end is worn and it is rusty crusty.
Are these bush fix shims for the front idlers or CAT supplied ?

Nige

OK, so no engine serial number plate is jumping out at me.
Should be on top of the valve cover next to the plate with the Cat logo.
upload_2022-11-11_21-16-53.png
Two questions, is there a simple solution to getting this angle cylinder pin out ?
Loadsa heat + FBH. If that fails, lance it out. My 2c.
Not original. Maybe put there to try to compensate the height of worn idlers.

JD955SC

View attachment 272276 View attachment 272277OK, so no engine serial number plate is jumping out at me. This whole machine looks pretty original.
Two questions, is there a simple solution to getting this angle cylinder pin out ? It is worn, the cyl end is worn and it is rusty crusty.

slide hammer adapter and a 20 lb slide hammer plus heat on the bosses

Last edited:

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Should be on top of the valve cover next to the plate with the Cat logo.
View attachment 272279
Loadsa heat + FBH. If that fails, lance it out. My 2c.
Not original. Maybe put there to try to compensate the height of worn idlers.
Dammit man, I have been standing on the floor next to this machine for too many hours, I never thought to climb up and look down ! Tomorrow I will.
I was afraid this was going to be the case. I will heat it once or twice then air arc it, it looks sad. This machine spent some time on a soil stabilizing crew.
Tomorrow I will knock those front idler saddles off and start over with no shims.
Thanks gents.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
IMG_20221112_185142247.jpg IMG_20221112_185210265.jpg IMG_20221112_185500760.jpg So todays adventure included developing a tool to remove the stubborn angle cylinder pin, removing the last of the undercarriage components, finding out the equalizer bar ends are fubar, removing the last of the hydraulic lines. Next up, repair the cyl, order a crap ton of parts . (the complete undercarriage has been here for a month). Figure out how to remove a roller frame to facilitate the removal of the equalizer bar. remove and clean the belly pans. Then...maybe then I can start prepping everything for reassembly.