• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Metal detectors on millers

Gwargo

Hi there new to forum and milling. We do alot of Municipality work and constantly are running into burried Manholes/valve boxes. I read about someone talking about metal detectors on the machine. Is it actually attached to the machine or just a labourer walking ahead? Oh and yes we run wirtgens (begin flaming):D

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Walk aheads are common.

My friends and I are developing a tool for buried iron locates. Your welcome to email or call me and give it a try if you want.

Jimsan

It is hard to put a magnetic based detector under a machine that itself one very large magnetic field gernerator.

millingman

We used our cutter drum as a metal detector. We found everything that was buried! We had guys walk the job before we'd start as well.
Milling_drum, when you've come up with a solution you should post it on this forum. I reckon you'd get some interest.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Ok, im going to type how to put together an item that I do not own, is still being developed, and then give it away. Il type hahahaha just for kicks but the device we have where I am works, we will demo it and the next time you need it you can pay for it.

If that's a problem then I suggest you get to radio shack, buy a metal detector and then WalMart for spray paint. Then make sure the people your working for can afford to close the area long enuff for you to do your locates and hope they are accurate. I can guarantee accuracy.

If I could do locates all year instead of running a mill with people who can't stand the fact I exist at all don't you think I'd put some effort into it. If we typed the different ways we hopped manholes we can see i doubt that would even get much attention here because when someone sees a different way that works better then the ONLY way they know how, they shut up about it and realize there's more too it then just ONE WAY.

take the way i just learned to set a mill down on a trailer.....not one comment or even any interest. Now you want me to give away a golden egg. This time il laugh:)