• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanical & Hydraulic Business in Alberta

Will-Power

Hey everyone, I am fairly new here, but i like what I see so far, nice community.

I live near Edmonton Alberta Canada, as an oil and gas area we are suffering here with the worst downturn (recession) in the last 4, or that's what they said on the news recently. Its bad, we have 100,000 oil workers laid off, provincial government is broke, the feds hate Alberta and the cities don't have any money either. Most road builders, operators, pavers, etc are down to about 70% or so from where they were 2 years ago.

Consequently after working for a company for 2 years in sales I was laid off last September, I am a mechanic by trade specializing in hydraulics and electronics for mostly mobile equipment. I started my company up once I got laid off because nobody was hiring, I did pretty well at first, I was able to snag a couple of big projects right off the bat that basically got me through to the spring time. Now things have tapered off and I am looking for new work.

I have a nice little trailer setup with hose and fittings, 2 and 4 wire 1/4" to 1-1/4" hose crimper and soon will have a 6 wire crimper for the larger high pressure lines for excavators and loaders. Basically I am stocked up and can make pretty much most hoses(except for the largest 1-1/2" to 2" 6 wire) in the field. I also carry a 300 amp welder, generator, and smaller compressor along with all of my tools. I am a pretty good welder on the straight and level, vertical is not bad, and I have done pressure pipe welding in a pinch.

I can tear down most any pump, motor, or valve and rebuild it and/or clean it up, I do some cylinders, but unless you have a dedicated teardown bench for the big ones, its hard. I am getting set up with a shop near where I live with full bay doors and a good sized overhead crane, but I think the real money is probably in the field as there is a ton of extra shop capacity sitting here unused right now.

I am a wiz at electrical and electronic controls, troubleshooting, repairing and building new systems. I have build quite a few control and monitoring systems for trucks and field equipment, tie-ing the truck and transmission J1939 to display engine parameters and control RPM, drive hydraulic valves, and monitor pressures and temperatures, etc.

Now my question for you self-employed wizards out there, whats the best way to approach new customers to get business, I have tried to approach a few of the bigger outfits, but they dont seem to want to bite, I am thinking start with the smaller ones and build up from there. I have also contacted quite a few mobile heavy mechanics that I know and offered the hose & fitting service to them.

Any help at this point would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think you're on the right track. After 15 or so years in business for myself I've learned two things that seem to help me the most. One is word of mouth, there's always a guy that offers you a job and ends up knowing half the country....the good half lol. It's usually the mother of a job nobody else will do. Also, just because the big outfits turn you down the first time don't quit stopping by. Are you insured etc to their standards? If so, take your certificate of coverage to them. Make a little book or brochure showing what you've done. Basically illustrate why you can save them money and downtime. Keep what they have working longer. They're all about saving a buck when they do have to call in somebody for a repair. Also, I've had more luck sticking my head in the shop and talking to the foreman than I ever did going through a receptionist. Ask them, what service can I offer that will make your life easier. What you're doing may not seem to be of value to them or they may not call it the same thing you do. It's funny what a little conversation can do. Heck bribe them with donuts, calendars, handy little lights, rulers whatever. What works one place may not another. Be smart and bide your time. When things pick back up I bet you're slammed busy because in their minds you survived the downturn so you must be doing something right. Some of my .02 lol

Junkyard.

Will-Power

Thanks Junkyard, your words are encouraging, I agree with word of mouth as it has brought work in the past. I think its all about surviving the downturn and when things get a bit better in the market it will be easier to get jobs. As it is, in the last few days, things have changed a bit for the better, I was doing maintenance on trucks and flatbeds with cranes on them for a customer, just a few hours a couple times a week, their head mechanic came up and spent a day with me and told me to go ahead and pick the trucks apart and fix any and all things wrong with them. Basically said go ahead and write your own check if you want to work the hours. I dropped my rate considerably to get the job in the first place, but at least I will be working and bringing in some coin. When things turn around here I can look at bumping my rate a bit, but since these guys helped me out in a way, I am not going to screw them over. Thank you for the encouragement.

Will

Will-Power

Frank-Equipment, I have one of those exact crimpers, except mine is branded under Continental, I got mine from Bosch Hydraulic Connections in Edmonton, they are really good guys, they can do a deal for you if you agree to buy all of your hose and fittings from them and you buy a minimum of $10,000 a year or so. It depends on what you want to do with your crimper, this unit will do 2 and 4 wire hose, from 1/4" to 1-1/4". So as long as you arnt looking for higher pressure ratings or larger hose, its a great unit. For what I do, I am looking at a horizontal 6 wire crimper to do up to 2" 6 wire hose for large excavators and loaders etc. Give me a shout if you want to shoot the breeze here in Edmonton.

Cheers,

Will

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
As said already...
Word of mouth is the only way. I was laid off about the same time as you... Bought my own truck... It goes on. Now I'm no stranger to being self employed as I had my own truck and shop back in the uk before I moved here.
So my two peneth would be to hang in there and it will come.
Personally and from my experience I would not rush on a shop or yard as its and expense and a luxury. But that's just my thoughts. I'll shoot you a pm as I'm in southern Alberta...

Hello Will, I am glad that you have a good start at current tough time. I believe that you will be better. Don't give up. You will be strong. Thanks for your recommendation on crimper. I will contact Bosch for details. Thanks again and stay safe! Looking forward to your more positive post!

Last edited: