• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanical Engine Shutoff Timer

56wrench

I have one of those shut-down timers on my old FLD with an N14 2000 vintage. It may have been factory installed. I used it all the time. I added the same timers to my other trucks and one NH combine. That way i didn’t have to sit in the cab while it cooled down, especially in the field during harvest. Just wheel into the field, crank the timer on and bail out and run to the next one. The last one i added one to was a 2007 W/Star. I got them from the F/L dealer. Used to be about $100cad but the price has gone up.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Since tier two engines-those idlers became a thing of the past, I don't know if those are still produced.
Can't remember the brand name-started with a {H} I thought.
Some of the older Peterbilts I was around had the timers, and I thought they had the same name on them as the Button you had to hold until you had oil pressure...Kysor?

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
We had all the shut down functions deleted on the trucks at the feed mill, hydraulics for the auger functions don't work very well when the engine shuts down.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We had all the shut down functions deleted on the trucks at the feed mill, hydraulics for the auger functions don't work very well when the engine shuts down.
He wants something for an 80's early 90s truck, no electronics. Say you hauled into a truck stop, and really needed to go in in a hurry. Turn the dial to 5 min, pull the key, lock the doors and run. Truck gets a chance to cool down. No DEF back then, so idling was not an issue. Can't remember what the max you could set it for.